MWO World Tour Part II-Piglet!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everyone. A spectacular day here today - clear blue sky, unseasonably warm but with a light wind - perfect for walking, so we set off for the Palace of Fine Arts and beyond!

We walked down these steep stairs....

...to get the first glimpse

The Palace of Fine Arts was built for the 1915 Panama-Pacific Exposition - the original structure was never intended to be permanent and was rebuilt in the '60s because it was deteriorating badly.

:heart: AF since 29th August 2010 :heart:

Comment

The lovely ladies

The lagoon

Piglet and Miss K, getting back to nature!

Comment

These homes are typical of the type of houses found in the Marina (the neighbourhood where the POFA is located)

Comment

Just a few blocks away is the actual Marina and two yacht clubs

The St Francis Yacht Club

a bit further down the is the Golden Gate Yacht Club

Comment

Heading west, right next door as it were, is Crissy Field and the brand new cafe and education center

*Phew* All tuckered out after all that fresh air and exercise - nighty night!

Comment

Outstanding pictures once again, Enja. I am still amazed by the architecture. I imagine that the real estate prices are high - those homes near the marina and the POFA are so beautiful. And the Palace is very impressive -those statues and columns that decorate the buildings are fabulous. I can see a definite Greek influence in the design. I have fallen in love with your lovely city, Enja. Too bad it is so far away that I will never get to visit it but thank you so much for showing us around San Francisco. It really has been a wonderful visit and you sure do have a talent for taking pictures.
              For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
              AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

LOvely Enja...isn't the POFA seen in lots of movies??
                I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Wow, spectacular!
                  sigpic
                  Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

stirly-girly;1275871 wrote: Outstanding pictures once again, Enja. I am still amazed by the architecture. I imagine that the real estate prices are high - those homes near the marina and the POFA are so beautiful. And the Palace is very impressive -those statues and columns that decorate the buildings are fabulous. I can see a definite Greek influence in the design. I have fallen in love with your lovely city, Enja. Too bad it is so far away that I will never get to visit it but thank you so much for showing us around San Francisco. It really has been a wonderful visit and you sure do have a talent for taking pictures.
                    There are some lovely houses in the Marina, with not so lovely prices to match! The BIG drawback of living in the Marina area is that most of it is built on landfill and prone to liquefaction during earthquakes...

Never say never - maybe you will get to visit one day and I'll get to show you around. :l

mama bear;1276027 wrote: LOvely Enja...isn't the POFA seen in lots of movies??
                    greeneyes;1276053 wrote:
                    Wow, spectacular!
                    Thanks! I'm pretty sure that it was in "Vertigo" and probably others but nothing that comes to mind just now - it undoubtedly appeared in a bunch of TV shows that were filmed here.

I've been crazy busy the past few days so the latest pics are of Crissy Field/Golden Gate bridge -- mainly because that's where I walk the puplet so it was a no brainer, although I feel it's a bit repetitious but it does actually follow on from where I left off the other day. Tomorrow, Thursday, looks to be a little less hectic so I hope to get to a new part of the city.

Comment

The walk from the East Beach to the GGB is about a 3 mile round trip, depending on which paths you take.
                      Looking west towards the bridge and the Marin headlands

Looking behind towards the city

The puplet finds all sorts of interesting things to hunt (he has to stay on leash at the moment because he hurt his knee - he's NOT happy with this arrangement at all :upset

These buildings used to be the old Coastguard/Life boat station and now houses the Marine Sanctuary Education facility

Comment

Further up the path towards the bridge

Looking back at the city

The path is dotted with these plaques giving information about local flora, fauna, etc. there is a cool one commemorating Amelia Earhart but unfortunately I forgot about them until I'd walked past most....

The approach to the bridge, and underneath the large brick building is Fort Point which was completed in 1861 and last saw active duty in WWII - it's open to the public but only on weekends due to budget cuts - the smaller cream building with the red roof is the public loo. :H

Comment

At the end of the path it is now fenced off (you used to be able to walk all the way around) the fence was put up after 9/11 and a few years after that the "Hopper's Hands" sign went up - one of the bridge's ironworkers, Ken Hopper, noticed that most runners had a ritual of touching the fence before turning around to head back, and he had their sign maker make a sign with two handprints on it for the runners (and walkers!) - awhile later they added the paw print one. :H

The ironworkers are unsung heroes of the city - tough guy, rivet wrestlers who not only risk life and limb maintaining our beautiful bridge but they also are volunteer suicide rescue personnel on call 24/7, they are the only ones who have the equipment, and knowledge of the bridge, to go over the rails to try and save the lives of those attempting jump from the bridge.

Jasper touches Hopper's Paws

Piglet & Miss K decided they'd just pose on the fence

Comment

This is also a popular surfing spot....though as you can see SF surfers don't really match up to the stereotypical image of a Californian surfer dude - the water temp is around 48F/9C so full wetsuit is a necessity!

Ooh, just heard on the news that they are filming a recreation of the famous "Bullitt" car chase tomorrow for the TV show "Alcatraz" - might try and get over to see that - here's a link Alcatraz: The show races through San Francisco | www.ktvu.com

Comment

Just FANTASTIC pics Enja, you are a superb host, I have really enjoyed browsing the fab pics!! Thank you xx
                              "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
                              NF 12th May 2010

Comment

I'm lost for words (and that doesn't happen often ).

Outstanding. What a talent you've got there, Enja.
                                It could be worse, I could be filing.
                                AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Working...
                                X