MWO World Tour Part II-Piglet!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

one2many;1276598 wrote: Just FANTASTIC pics Enja, you are a superb host, I have really enjoyed browsing the fab pics!! Thank you xx
    JackieClaire;1276959 wrote: I'm lost for words (and that doesn't happen often ).

Outstanding. What a talent you've got there, Enja.
    Thank you both! :l:l

Zenstyle;1276805 wrote:
    You know what impresses me about the residential areas, apart from the architecture, is how neat and tidy everything is... well maintained.

Loved the bridge history... Hopper's little doggy paws are very cute! Enja... do people attempt to commit suicide by jumping from the bridge a lot? Amazing that the ironworkers that maintain the bridge are also the suicide rescue volunteers...

Fabby pics Enja!!! x
    Visitors often comment on how litter free and "manicured" it is, and that's especially true around this part of the city -- there are neighbourhoods, however, which are a bit more.....ummm, unkempt?

Sadly, the bridge is infamous for the number of people who have jumped - at one point it had the highest number in the world but I don't know if that's still true. The exact number is unknown - despite CCTV, helplines, patrols, etc. it's believed that many have jumped without a witness and because the tides are so strong, often the bodies are never recovered.
    :heart: AF since 29th August 2010 :heart:

Comment

Unfortunately I wasn't able to see any of the "Alcatraz" TV show filming because I had to, unexpectedly, go down to San Mateo so on my way back to the city I did a quick detour up to Twin Peaks.

I wish I could have done a panorama shot but you'll just have to take in the view in bits :H

Looking from north to...

...east to...

Comment

enja;1273926 wrote: Golden Gate Park - Magnolias in the Botanical Garden

Enja - Happy started a "Where's Piglet?" comp amongst magnolia's (see post 238) ....... they are such gorgeous flowers!!!! You are so lucky to have them at this time of year - just shows what a perfect climate SF has!!! Thanks for your efforts - they are much appreciated :l
        Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

...to south

(The last two are a bit out of synch - one is more of a close up than the other, but you can get the general idea)

This is Sutro Tower which transmits TV signals, it's to the north/west side and can be seen from almost all parts of the city

This is the view to the west, just to the left of ST, looking into the sun so you can't see the details very well but the sea is in the background.

South west

Comment

Saving the best for last! :h

Comment

Gorgeous photos Enja! Really enjoying this part of the little ones trip.

Comment

Gee, will you take a look at the size of those slabs of wood in the old barn from a few pages back!
                And did you wait for those two doves to be flying across the top of the naval building on either side of the flag? Brilliant piece of photography!

Are those little daisy type flowers in the picnic area?

And those stairs! Just how did that car manage to get where it is parked!
                Any story behind the lovely ladies leaning on the plinth things?

Interesting shaped wind turbines.. I?ve only seen the ones that look like propeller blades.

I?m happily surprised at how clean and neat the city is too.

And you?ve shown us some wonderful places where a tourist would never know to go to.
                Thank you so much for the huge effort you?ve put into this.
                All I have to do now is work out how to get over there for a holiday. Which do you reckon.. spring or autumn?

Comment

Miss Behaving;1277150 wrote: Enja - Happy started a "Where's Piglet?" comp amongst magnolia's (see post 238) ....... they are such gorgeous flowers!!!! You are so lucky to have them at this time of year - just shows what a perfect climate SF has!!! Thanks for your efforts - they are much appreciated :l
                  I remember seeing that! All the magnolias with pink blossom that were in the Botanical Garden only seemed to have flowers on really high branches - I don't think Piglet would like me to undress him and lob him at the top of a tree - but I'll keep my eye open for any with flowers within arms reach while we're out and about I'd still have to undress him though :H

Comment

Zenstyle;1277482 wrote: What a fantastic view Enja... it really is a beautiful and multifaceted place. I'm getting itchy feet seeing your pics!
                    Let me know if you plan to scratch your feet over here!

Comment

Rags;1278845 wrote: Gee, will you take a look at the size of those slabs of wood in the old barn from a few pages back!
                      And did you wait for those two doves to be flying across the top of the naval building on either side of the flag? Brilliant piece of photography!
                      Not sure what kind of birds they are (seagulls?) and it was pure dumb luck that I got them in the pic :H thanks, though! :l

Are those little daisy type flowers in the picnic area?Yup, common ole "daisy chain" type daisies.

And those stairs! Just how did that car manage to get where it is parked!
                      Any story behind the lovely ladies leaning on the plinth things?
                      Amazing parking pics to come shortly! :H

Each of the Palace?s Corinthian columns is topped by four maidens ? sometimes called ?weepers.? The design for the Palace included a planter box at the top of the colonnade but, because funds ran low, nothing was ever planted. Sculptor Ulric Ellerhusen, who created the maidens, originally conceived them as nourishing the planters with tears symbolizing ?the melancholy of life without art.?
                      Quoted from "A Landmark to Love"

Interesting shaped wind turbines.. I?ve only seen the ones that look like propeller blades.

I?m happily surprised at how clean and neat the city is too.

And you?ve shown us some wonderful places where a tourist would never know to go to.
                      Thank you so much for the huge effort you?ve put into this.
                      All I have to do now is work out how to get over there for a holiday. Which do you reckon.. spring or autumn?
                      Either would be good but if I had the option I'd go for autumn - mid September to mid October can be fabulous....although the last time I told someone that it rained for most of their 10 days, but they were super unlucky....:upset:

Comment

OK, friends - today we're off to The Mission It's primarily a Latino district but because of the best micro climate in SF (it can be peasoup grade fog over most of the city and The Mission will be enjoying full sun) lower rents both commercial and housing, abundance of great restaurants it attracted first the punks and activists, along with artists, a lively music and theater scene and finally as they usually do, the hipsters arrived. :H All more or less happily co-exist but there is an occasional risk of getting caught up in the crossfire between two rival gangs the Norte?os and Sure?os. Not today though!

There are a lot of murals throughout SF - none more so than in the Mission District.

Comment

This is Mission Street, one of the main N/S roads which runs from the Embarcadero (by the bay, downtown) out to Daly City outside of the city boundary to the south.

Diandas is actually an Italian pastry shop that's been around since the '60's...

..the cake on the bottom shelf in the center is their famous St. Honore

Sparkly bum jeans are popular! :H

Comment

The cross streets are (mostly) numbered i.e. this is "24th Street" -not to be confused with the numbered "Avenues", which are in the Sunset District out by the Ocean - but it did confuse me no end when we first moved here. :H

Comment

Lucha libre (Mexican wrestling) masks.

Hipster shop

Fortune teller/spells shop

Wise Sons - very popular Jewish Deli in the heart of the Mission :H

Comment

There is always at least one Irish bar/restaurant in every neighbourhood! No idea what "Napper Tandy" means?

Comment

Working...
                                X