Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MWO World Tour Part II-Piglet!

enja;1286206 wrote:

I love the fact that there are Eucalyptus, Cherry, Palm and Fir trees all in this one pic :H
    That's one of the things I love about Greece is the variety of trees in one place. Right across the street from us is a villa that has pine trees, olive, almond and orange trees plus palms and eucalyptus and next door there is a banana palm. The almond trees are in bloom right now and are gorgeous. Unfortunately the batteries in my camera are dead so I can't take a picture. Lovely tho' the variety of flora.

Again, great pictures. Piglet and Miss K look quite happy among the blossoms.
    For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
    AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

This statue is "The Lone Sailor"- it always reminds me of a Tom of Finland drawing...very apropos, gazing towards SF :H (if you're not familiar with T of F probably best you don't Google - very NSFW and XXX)

Here they are!
      :heart: AF since 29th August 2010 :heart:

Comment

I was meeting a friend for lunch at the Beach Chalet, which as it's name suggests, is right across from Ocean Beach in GGP, very close to the windmill that I posted pics of earlier. I hadn't been there for awhile and forgot about the amazing murals (actually I think they're technically frescoes) and mosaics in the lobby/information area which were commissioned by the Federal Arts Program during the Great Depression in the 30s and depicts many notable SF locals and sights. I didn't have my camera (or the little guys) with me but took these with my phone camera, so they're not the best quality but I thought you might enjoy seeing them.

Comment

AND the staircase decoration - a squid?
          sigpic
          Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Thank you Enja! I am so enjoying our visit to SF!:h

Comment

greeneyes;1286383 wrote: AND the staircase decoration - a squid?
              I'm not sure if it's a squid but it's definitely a sea creature.

Comment

expat3;1286721 wrote: Thank you Enja! I am so enjoying our visit to SF!:h
                I'm happy to hear you're enjoying the visit. :l

Apologies for not posting any pics in the past few days - it's been a rather hectic week (again!) for me and the weather has been VERY uncooperative but I hope to get out and about with the little guys on Sunday and most days next week. :h

Comment

I've posted lots of pics of the bay so I thought today we'd take a look at the Pacific which means heading out to Ocean Beach. It was a sunny day but very hazy and the wind was ferocious....no Piglet or Miss K pics I'm afraid - I was too scared they'd get blown away.

The sand looks dark because it has lots of iron in it - one of my favorite 3rd grade field trips with my son, taking magnets to the beach to pick up iron.

The wind and waves were insane and that brings out the crazy kite boarders!

Comment

At the northern end of the beach is the Cliff House which has a couple of restaurants and gift shop- there have been numerous buildings here since the mid 1800s, here's what it looks like today...

....but I wish this version was still here - sadly it burnt down the year after the big earthquake in 1906

I love these birds - they are very comical running after the receding waves

We'll be going to the top of here in a little while

Comment

This is the back of the Cliff House, as you can imagine there are amazing views on a clear day

On the other side you can see what remains of the Sutro Baths (that's the Marin Headlands in the background)

A closer look

This picture is what the baths looked like in their heyday - there were various saltwater pools of different temperatures

Comment

Slightly out of sequence, this is the front of the building

Street vendor

Remember the cliff pic? This is the park at the top

Looking down at the Cliff House

Comment

From up here you can see looking south the two main neighbourhoods out here - the Richmond, which is north of Golden Gate Park, and the Sunset, to the south (collectively known as the Avenues) they are sort of the *suburban* part of the city. Surprisingly (to me at first anyway!) oceanfront property is not "prime" real estate. In the early days it was known as "Outside Lands" or "Outerlands" and was basically a squatter/tent city until the park was created and then the area was steadily built up. This area also has the worst micro climate in the city - the fog usually lifts here last and sometimes doesn't lift at all for weeks which makes it very gloomy, cold and damp, especially in the summer. Also sand blowing off the beach, sometimes to the point of closing the road, is an ongoing problem.

Unfortunately due to the haze you can't see the Sunset area too clearly

These houses are typical of this part of the city

Comment

Because of the fog and salty air the types of plants that flourish are limited but these ice type (don't know their proper name!) do very well

Comment

Happy April everyone! With the new month I've become very aware that I've probably held on to Piglet and Miss K far longer than I should have - even though they are AWOL in this last series of photos :H - If someone would like to host the little guys (and I can't tell you what fun it is - definitely something that needs to be experienced!) please send me a PM so that we can make travel plans. I do still have some places in the city that I'd like to take them but hopefully I'll do that by the weekend....so any takers?

Comment

Enja,
                                These are the most wonderful series of pictures!
                                Thankyou. And your knowledge is terrific. I've really enjoyed seeingf SF through Piglets and your eyes.

Comment

Working...
                                X