MWO World Tour Part II-Piglet!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Then we crossed the road to visit Reccie's alma mater, Pembroke College. Pembroke is one of Oxford's less illustrious colleges. Reccie said he hated every minute of his time there and hasn't been back since the day he finished uni in the mid 1980s. The porter wasn't going to let us in until Reccie explained that he was a former student.

This is Pembroke's Old Quad. You can see Christ Church's Tom Tower over the top.

This is The Hall in Chapel Quad where the students and fellows dine. Reccie says that when he was there they all had to wear black gowns when they dined. Apparently Reccie was a bit of a messy eater, so the gown came in handy for keeping his clothes clean.

This is me in Chapel Quad!

Comment

Student rooms and tutorial rooms in Chapel Quad:

Reccie says he may possibly have paid this place an occasional visit:

This is the chapel. It's located in ...errr...Chapel Quad.

Comment

We crossed back over the road and visited Christ Church Meadow. These are the war memorial gardens, with the cathedral in the background:

We walked alongside the River Isis and saw this mother swan with her cygnets:

We saw lots of squirrels too, but none of the buggers would sit still for long enough for Reccie to photograph them! Anyway, we sat down by the river and had a simple picnic. I made a bit of a pig of myself:

The view was pretty good:

Comment

Just gorgeous Reccie!!! You have helped me make my decision when we go to London this autumn. Oxford NOT Cambridge side trip!

Comment

We continued our walk along the riverbank. This punting lark looks complicated!

In the distance we saw Magdalen College. Reccie says we might pay it a visit another day.

This is me in front of the meadow!

Reccie thinks this is Merton College (I don't think he's very reliable though!):

And lastly, this is Alice's Shop, almost across the road from Christ Church. Alice was the daughter of the Dean (the head of the college). It is the real site of the old Sheep Shop which appears in Alice through the Looking Glass, written by Lewis Carroll whilst he was at Christ Church.

Comment

Wow, Reccie - this is quite the tour you're giving us. Some of the scenery is just absolutely incredible.

Bloody :goodjob:
              I'll do whatever it takes
              AF 21/08/2009

Comment

tiptronic_ct;1367571 wrote: Wow, Reccie - this is quite the tour you're giving us. Some of the scenery is just absolutely incredible.

Bloody :goodjob:
                What Tipster said, Reccie. So much history around you - I am loving this tour and your commentary on the photos and Piglet's taking little jabs at you.:H And great pictures! Well done!!!
                For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
                AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

just lovely Mr Bear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  I WANNA GO!!!!
                  I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                  Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

"peckwater Quad"????
                    tee hee...really
                    (ok..I am 4 years old)

Comment

Wow... it really is beautiful around your neck of the woods Reccy. And I think your pics are all very well taken to boot!

Comment

Love your piccies Reccie. It feels like you could step into them and walk around with Piglet, lovely stuff.

Comment

I am really proud of you for getting out and about hubby bear!

Comment

[QUOTE=Recluse;1367557]We crossed back over the road and visited Christ Church Meadow. These are the war memorial gardens, with the cathedral in the background:

Oh Reccie, how lovely... I took the same picture way back when I visited Oxford in 1986.
                            Is the sign still on the wall there somewhere about regulations for entry into the Christchurch meadow? Something about preventing beggars and people in dirty clothes, handcarts and not carving your name in tree trunks.

Comment

Recluse;1367564 wrote: We continued our walk along the riverbank. This punting lark looks complicated!

]
                              Oh Reccie, how lovely... I took the same picture way back when I visited Oxford in 1986.
                              Is the sign still on the wall there somewhere about regulations for entry into the Christchurch meadow? Something about preventing beggars and people in dirty clothes, handcarts and not carving your name in tree trunks.

Comment

Recluse;1367557 wrote: We crossed back over the road and visited Christ Church Meadow. These are the war memorial gardens, with the cathedral in the background:

We walked alongside the River Isis and saw this mother swan with her cygnets:

[
                                []
                                I took that exact same picture in 1986!

Is the sign still there at Christ Church meadow not allowing handcarts or beggars into the meadow?

Comment

Working...
                                X