Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do we have a choice?

Hello my friends,

I pose this question. Do we have a choice whether we continue drinking or not?

I know many of us think we don't choose our addiction/problem/alcoholism, and i agree, but i've heard some folk say they don't have a choice, when they've been challenged about stopping/addressing their addiction. For me, i believe i have a choice, am able to choose, and to make a choice as to whether i continue to drink or not.

What do you all think?

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Do we have a choice?

I think personally I have no choice over the fact that I am an alcoholic but I do have the choice as to whether I put that first drink to my lips and continue the madness.
    Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Do we have a choice?

KTAB;1168012 wrote: I think personally I have no choice over the fact that I am an alcoholic but I do have the choice as to whether I put that first drink to my lips and continue the madness.
      My thoughts too Kt.

It's probably a simple and obvious question, but i put it out there only because i've heard some folk say they don't have a choice as to whether they drink...

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Comment

Do we have a choice?

Well nobody ever sat on my chest and poured it down my throat. To say I have no control over taking that first drink would be a cop out for me personally. But having said that I do appreciate that everyone is different and I have no idea what goes on inside somebody elses head.
        Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Do we have a choice?

I haven't a choice either, Well I do have a choice but i know if i go back drinking my life will end up back where it was and most likely worse and i certainly don't want that.So my choice is do i want to move on with a more better positive life or drink my way down into an early grave, I know what my choice is thanks :-)

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
          I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Do we have a choice?

Agreed with all the sage wisdom above.....I am the one that chooses to take the drink or not.....I DONT choose the fact that I cant stop when I stop.

One is too many and one thousand isnt enough.
            Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Do we have a choice?

Nelz;1168032 wrote: Agreed with all the sage wisdom above.....I am the one that chooses to take the drink or not.....I DONT choose the fact that I cant stop when I stop.

One is too many and one thousand isnt enough.
              G'day Nelz.

Great input, and fantastic stuff on your 100 days AF and beyond. Keep it going friend.

Bravo!

Comment

Do we have a choice?

Mr. G. thanks for putting this question out there. Speaking for myself and only me, no prejudice or judgment about anyone elses experience whatsoever. When I was drinking (I speak in the past tense because I believe that I have found my way out of the hell-fire once and for all, I held firmly to the belief that I had no control over taking that first drink. I explained the impulsive need to binge drink as 'a type of sleep-walking" or a breakdown of all rational thought into a temporary insanity. Surely it had to be driven by madness because if not, then what? Who in their right mind would subject themselves to this over and over and over again. Who, if not a lunatic would deliberatley create such destruction to themselves and everyone in their lives. I couldnt bear to think that if I was actually in my right mind, does that then mean I am simply weak willed, or even "bad". I chose to believe that I was not bad but in fact powerless over taking that first drink. And so with this delusion firmly in place for about 15 years, I drank and drank and drank. When finally I had inflicted so much chaos, heartache and despair on myself and my loved ones, something clicked in my psyche. I stopped drinking through horrific withdrawals...got some decent al free time. Made some very hard decisions about my finances and living circumstances, gave up my dream business and finally got real. With al no longer in my system, I started to slowly rebuild my physical, emotional and spiritual health.

I no longer beleive that I am powerless over that first drink........if I CHOOSE to take that first drink, only then do I indeed become powerless. I honestly beleive that my self-imposed delusion of powerlessness over that first drink kept me prisoner to the poison for far too long. That old saying "I think therefore I am" resonates very strongly with me today and I no longer think that I am powerless, therefore I am not.
                I am a part of the family of humanity. Not one person on this earth is a stranger to me. Rev. Ted Noffs

Comment

Do we have a choice?

KTAB;1168020 wrote: To say I have no control over taking that first drink would be a cop out for me personally.
                  This line struck me as so true. We have been conditioned to be victims in our lives with no control over our health in particular. A diagnoses or label for some is a sanction to continue being a victim and relieves the individual of responsibility for personal changes in lifestyle and ultimately choice. imo
                  Psalms 119:45

?Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.?

St. Francis of Assisi

I'm not perfect, never will be, but better than I was and not as good as I'm going to be.

:rays:

Comment

Do we have a choice?

We have the power within indeed Saph. Thanks for your excellent post.

(the letter i before e in the word believe ok? except in the word Cheif.)

Next.

Comment

Do we have a choice?

Guitarista;1168048 wrote: We have the power within indeed Saph. Thanks for your excellent post.

(the letter i before e in the word believe ok? except in the word Cheif.)

Next.
                      Get stuffed you spelling nazi .........:H:goodjob::l:thanks::h
                      I am a part of the family of humanity. Not one person on this earth is a stranger to me. Rev. Ted Noffs

Comment

Do we have a choice?

RingingCedars;1168046 wrote: This line struck me as so true. We have been conditioned to be victims in our lives with no control over our health in particular. A diagnoses or label for some is a sanction to continue being a victim and relieves the individual of responsibility for personal changes in lifestyle and ultimately choice. imo
                        You make a good point RC. We must remember that we have power. We have the power to do anything, and to be anything we like. Can we choose to change overnight though?
                        I think/know this is possible.

Comment

Do we have a choice?

Guitarista;1168053 wrote: You make a good point RC. We must remember that we have power. We have the power to do anything, and to be anything we like. Can we choose to change overnight though?
                          I think/know this is possible.
                          Yep G. I think that realisations, epiphanies, aha moments and so on, can herald very swift change.

Comment

Do we have a choice?

Guitarista;1168006 wrote:
                            Do we have a choice whether we continue drinking or not?
                            I LOVE this question Mr G and my answer is absolutely 100% YES we do have a choice whether to CONTINUE drinking or not.

Im also in complete agreement with everything KTAB said and believe that the choice leaves our control once alcohol is in our system. AL is a very lethal mind altering substance that interferes with the brain fuction. I see it even in non problem drinkers, they act out of character and behave in ways they never would stone cold sober. It f**ks with our minds! For those with an alcohol dependancy choosing to stop once we start is the most difficult thing in the world and I never want to test that choice ever again.

KTAB;1168012 wrote:
                            I do have the choice as to whether I put that first drink to my lips and continue the madness.
                            KTAB;1168020 wrote:
                            To say I have no control over taking that first drink would be a cop out for me personally.

I DO strongly believe we are in control of our lives and what happens to us, way more than most of us realize and I take complete responsibility for my life and my actions. I had an alcohol addiction and my choice
                            was to tackle that addiction in ever possibly way, resulting eventually in total abstainence. I now choose
                            to work each and every day at maintaining that sobriety as I want to stay in control of my life and my choices.

Chill
                            "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
                            AF - JAN 1st 2010
                            NF - May 1996

Comment

Do we have a choice?

RingingCedars;1168046 wrote: This line struck me as so true. We have been conditioned to be victims in our lives with no control over our health in particular. A diagnoses or label for some is a sanction to continue being a victim and relieves the individual of responsibility for personal changes in lifestyle and ultimately choice. imo
                              Well put RC:h

Comment

Working...
                              X