Do we have a choice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do we have a choice?

RingingCedars;1168046 wrote: This line struck me as so true. We have been conditioned to be victims in our lives with no control over our health in particular. A diagnoses or label for some is a sanction to continue being a victim and relieves the individual of responsibility for personal changes in lifestyle and ultimately choice. imo
    Hmmmm.
    I agree with this to an extent... Yes, people can use their disease as a pity party but it isnt as easy to say "ok, I am going to stop". It's not that easy - if it were, we wouldnt be here on this forum - yourself included Ringing. Drinking for alcoholics isnt a "personal choice" anymore than cancer is a personal choice for cancer victims. Thank God the medical community is looking at addiction as a disease and not a personal choice. This will save so many lives. Before - making the choice to stop drinking to to totally rely on will power and the 12 steps - now we are fortunate enough to be realizing that there are medicines and other tools to make this fight easier and not seem so undo-able.
    IMO

Comment

Do we have a choice?

Yep. Looking for an excuse, any reason not to be accountable. We have no choice over having cancer or other random diseases. We have no choice over aging. No choice over the horrible wardrobe or partner choices our friends make. But CHOOSING to lift AL to our lips, yes, that's a choice. I understand all the studies, the genetics, the societal influences, but 'choice' is always there for us, even though it's MUCH harder for some than others, and addiction is real. We have to CHOOSE to battle it. Or we choose to lose ourselves in it.
      sigpic
      Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
      awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Do we have a choice?

And Gotta Stop, this was not in reply to your post. It just took me a while to post mine, and yours wasn't on here when I started.
        sigpic
        Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
        awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Do we have a choice?

gotta stop;1168095 wrote: Hmmmm.
          I agree with this to an extent... Yes, people can use their disease as a pity party but it isnt as easy to say "ok, I am going to stop". It's not that easy - if it were, we wouldnt be here on this forum - yourself included Ringing. Drinking for alcoholics isnt a "personal choice" anymore than cancer is a personal choice for cancer victims. Thank God the medical community is looking at addiction as a disease and not a personal choice. This will save so many lives. Before - making the choice to stop drinking to to totally rely on will power and the 12 steps - now we are fortunate enough to be realizing that there are medicines and other tools to make this fight easier and not seem so undo-able.
          IMO
          Hiya Gotta stop.

You make an excellent point. But do we choose to continue the madness is my question? A cancer patient has no choice. But they can decide how they respond to their situation. And so can we. Non?

Great post Chilli! :h

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Do we have a choice?

Guitarista;1168110 wrote: Hiya Gotta stop.

You make an excellent point. But do we choose to continue the madness is my question? A cancer patient has no choice. But they can decide how they respond to their situation. And so can we. Non?

Great post Chilli! :h
            Hiya!
            First off - I am not trying to cause waves - this just happens to be something I am passionate about. No - a cancer patient doesnt have a choice - maybe I should have defined that a little better. If someone smokes - it's a personal choice but smoking can lead to cancer - Cancer is not a personal choice. Its a personal choice to drink - it is not a personal choice to become an alcoholic. A person with cancer must then go through treatment and hopefully the treatment that they receive stops the cancer. A person with alcoholism up until recently has been told "You can stop if you want to"! its not that easy. Hopefully now, people with this disease will now see that there are medicines and tools that will treat this disease as like there is with cancer.
            Hope this makes sense.

Comment

Do we have a choice?

I know mine is not popular opinion, but there are others like me and more and more gaining knowledge and acceptance of this view. I believe we do choose cancer and we do choose addiction by ignorance or blatant denial. Once we realize we have a problem, whether it is early stages or full blown we must take responsibility and denial is no longer an option, otherwise we choose ignorance and victimization.

This is a new documentary with the voice of 30 world renowned health professionals both medical and natural. I was given the opportunity to view it for free. I sincerely wish I could pass it on to you all. If you can afford to purchase, have a thirst for real knowledge and truth with an open mind, I highly recommend.

CANCER Is Curable NOW | CANCER Is Curable NOW DVD
              Psalms 119:45

?Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.?

St. Francis of Assisi

I'm not perfect, never will be, but better than I was and not as good as I'm going to be.

:rays:

Comment

Do we have a choice?

gotta stop;1168114 wrote: Hiya!
                First off - I am not trying to cause waves - this just happens to be something I am passionate about. No - a cancer patient doesnt have a choice - maybe I should have defined that a little better. If someone smokes - it's a personal choice but smoking can lead to cancer - Cancer is not a personal choice. Its a personal choice to drink - it is not a personal choice to become an alcoholic. A person with cancer must then go through treatment and hopefully the treatment that they receive stops the cancer. A person with alcoholism up until recently has been told "You can stop if you want to"! its not that easy. Hopefully now, people with this disease will now see that there are medicines and tools that will treat this disease as like there is with cancer.
                Hope this makes sense.
                Great post Gotta stop.

No waves, as every one's input is welcome and encouraged. Radical, smadical, prodigal sons/daughters/ mums and dads all welcome. Bring it on.

Re medicines and tools, Are you relying on meds to cure your thinking? I say this with respect, as i'm sure you have a path defined?

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Comment

Do we have a choice?

RingingCedars;1168121 wrote: I know mine is not popular opinion, but there are others like me and more and more gaining knowledge and acceptance of this view. I believe we do choose cancer and we do choose addiction by ignorance or blatant denial. Once we realize we have a problem, whether it is early stages or full blown we must take responsibility and denial is no longer an option, otherwise we choose ignorance and victimization.
                  I'm outta here RC, time for sleep. I like your brain girl.........I have done a little bit of study on the relationship between disease and the role that the unconscious mind plays in the development of certain conditions. I agree that we need to open our eyes and minds to the possibility that we are indeed the orchestrators of our own illness and it therefore must follow that we are much more capable of finding our way to health as well. Interesting subject. luv yas:h
                  I am a part of the family of humanity. Not one person on this earth is a stranger to me. Rev. Ted Noffs

Comment

Do we have a choice?

RingingCedars;1168121 wrote: I know mine is not popular opinion, but there are others like me and more and more gaining knowledge and acceptance of this view. I believe we do choose cancer and we do choose addiction by ignorance or blatant denial. Once we realize we have a problem, whether it is early stages or full blown we must take responsibility and denial is no longer an option, otherwise we choose ignorance and victimization.

This is a new documentary with the voice of 30 world renowned health professionals both medical and natural. I was given the opportunity to view it for free. I sincerely wish I could pass it on to you all. If you can afford to purchase, have a thirst for real knowledge and truth with an open mind, I highly recommend.

CANCER Is Curable NOW | CANCER Is Curable NOW DVD
                    Hi RC,

In my experience on this planet, we possibly can 'encourage' cancer via our lifestyle, and it can easily be said that we choose addiction. But. I don't know that we choose addiction. As for choosing cancer, that's way out of my frames of referance.

Comment

Do we have a choice?

sapphire1;1168126 wrote: I'm outta here RC, time for sleep. I like your brain girl.........I have done a little bit of study on the relationship between disease and the role that the unconscious mind plays in the development of certain conditions. I agree that we need to open our eyes and minds to the possibility that we are indeed the orchestrators of our own illness and it therefore must follow that we are much more capable of finding our way to health as well. Interesting subject. luv yas:h
                      Love ya too Sapphy Girl! xo
                      I added some to the original post when you are up anatit, give it a look see. Sleep is sooooo important to health, ya?? :l

?Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.?

St. Francis of Assisi

I'm not perfect, never will be, but better than I was and not as good as I'm going to be.

Comment

Do we have a choice?

Guitarista;1168127 wrote: Hi RC,

In my experience on this planet, we possibly can 'encourage' cancer via our lifestyle, and it can easily be said that we choose addiction. But. I don't know that we choose addiction. As for choosing cancer, that's way out of my frames of referance.
                        I may well be surprised myself, one day, G. But for now, I believe this with all my heart and soul. We are marvelously made! :thanks:

St. Francis of Assisi

Comment

Do we have a choice?

RingingCedars;1168130 wrote: I may well be surprised myself, one day, G. But for now, I believe this with all my heart and soul. We are marvelously made! :thanks:
                          :h

Comment

Do we have a choice?

Guitarista;1168124 wrote: Great post Gotta stop.

No waves, as every one's input is welcome and encouraged. Radical, smadical, prodigal sons/daughters/ mums and dads all welcome. Bring it on.

Re medicines and tools, Are you relying on meds to cure your thinking? I say this with respect, as i'm sure you have a path defined?
                            G,
                            I did rely on a med (baclofen) to help me with my addiction. I hesitate to use the word "cure" as I feel that I am not cured. I am still an alcoholic, and have addictive tendancies but I used medicine to relieve the terrible cravings - the constant thoughts of "needing" alcohol. I feel like some consider this to be taking the easy way out and not actually dealling the with underlying issues but I truly am not that profound. What underlying issue? I drink because I love the feeling I get. I dont have stress in my life. Hey - if you can take a pill that saves you months of sufferring - why wouldnt you?? (Again, my opinion). I no longer take baclofen but remain abstinant.
                            RingingCedars;1168121 wrote:
                            I know mine is not popular opinion, but there are others like me and more and more gaining knowledge and acceptance of this view. I believe we do choose cancer and we do choose addiction by ignorance or blatant denial. Once we realize we have a problem, whether it is early stages or full blown we must take responsibility and denial is no longer an option, otherwise we choose ignorance and victimization.
                            I respect your post Ringing, and your time and effort into this "view" but wow - We can choose cancer or not? Wow. Not saying you are wrong - just some radical thinking ( Just like meds for treatment of alcoholism may seem radical for some).
                            Unfortunately, I do not have your thirst for that knowledge

Comment

Do we have a choice?

gotta stop;1168143 wrote: G,
                              I did rely on a med (baclofen) to help me with my addiction. I hesitate to use the word "cure" as I feel that I am not cured. I am still an alcoholic, and have addictive tendancies but I used medicine to relieve the terrible cravings - the constant thoughts of "needing" alcohol. I feel like some consider this to be taking the easy way out and not actually dealling the with underlying issues but I truly am not that profound. What underlying issue? I drink because I love the feeling I get. I dont have stress in my life. Hey - if you can take a pill that saves you months of sufferring - why wouldnt you?? (Again, my opinion). I no longer take baclofen but remain abstinant.

I respect your post Ringing, and your time and effort into this "view" but wow - We can choose cancer or not? Wow. Not saying you are wrong - just some radical thinking ( Just like meds for treatment of alcoholism may seem radical for some).
                              Unfortunately, I do not have your thirst for that knowledge
                              Glad to hear you are sober GS. I can't tell you how many people come in and say they have no stress in their lives when I can tell they do just by observing facial expressions, mannerisms, communication styles. In some cases, after conversation(sometimes many over years)we start to get to the root of things and stress is inevitably there.

Interesting you say you have no thirst for that knowledge, which in effect proves my point. You are entitled to choose not to know. I sincerely wish you the best.

Oh, and it is interesting how these radical protocols for cancer have been removed from medical manuals even.

St. Francis of Assisi

Comment

Do we have a choice?

I cant speak for anyone else, but I know I have a choice.
                                Right now, I have no job, no marriage and a very uncertain future. I REALLY feel like getting trashed. But I wont.....no I wont.....
                                Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
                                Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Working...
                                X