A sobering experience!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As i was making rounds this morning, (no i am not a DR, but I am right under them), in our Critical Care Unit on one of our patients, i noticed the nurse for the room next to me was in a frenzy. She is a friend of mine, so i asked if she needed help. She told me she needed a DR because the patient was about to code, or arrest. I said Oh, what happened? She said the patient decided to stop drinking cold turkey, which is good, but not after drinking a liter of Vodka per day for years. The patient went into DT's and coded at home, now they are anoxic, which means the brain was deprived of Oxygen for too long. This hit me right in the gut. I thought that could have been me, or any one of us. As I left the Critical Care Unit and moved on to the floor to see the rest of my patients, I heard the overhead page for Code Blue CCU A. I knew it was her. They paged again in abt 10 min. I could not bring myself to go back and check. Let this be an eye opener to any and everyone who wants to stop. GET PROFESSIONAL HELP! Not saying inpatient, just be monitored, somehow.
    Making the quit stick! since 02/27/2016:victorious:

That must have been a scary experience. I hope that person made it.

There is a sticky at the top of the "Need Help ASAP" section that has links to information about alcohol withdrawl and symptoms. I stopped cold turkey, but I printed out that list so my husband could keep a close eye on me for the first few days, and take me to the hospital or call 911 if needed. I think having someone watch over us at minimum is important.

I didn't realize until last week that heroin withdrawl will NOT kill you. But AL withdrawl can.

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

I am sorry to say she did not make it. She went to her eternal home yesterday. This is really hard for me, even though she was not my patient, i really wished i could have talked to her before all this happened.
      Making the quit stick! since 02/27/2016:victorious:

Comment

This was a sobering and tragic read, but a good reminder as to how deadly this addiction can be. I pray she is @ peace now.

Comment

Thanks for the post Doggygirl. It is definately a wake up call.
          I read the other day a post that said that a friend had died from a torn stomach after vomiting due to drinking. My son tore his stomach after a night of drinking and it caused him a whole bunch of pain and suffering. I did not realize that he could have died from it.
          I remember barfing many times after an night of binge drinking when I was young. I had no idea of the consequences.
          It is very clear that AL is not a good friend and is always willing to stab you in the back.
          R4L
          Don't worry, be happy!

Comment

Oh my gosh! I did not know you could tear your stomach!!! I have vomited sooooooo many times, and for days! I am glad I read your post. That scared me too.

Comment

Working...
            X