Clear All

Army thread 30th August

Good post, Expattie. Straight from the heart :l:l:l

Oh... and my lunch was lovely, thank you
    I'll do whatever it takes
    AF 21/08/2009

Comment

Army thread 30th August

Recluse;1171094 wrote: I can totally relate to what you said about the timing, expatty. When I was seeing my first alcohol worker, I wasn't ready. I couldn't open up enough to her, so she didn't understand what she was dealing with, which made it very difficult for her to try to help. MWO has helped me in the past few months to find the courage to open up to the professionals who are trying to help me. I honestly never thought I would be able to do it.
      :l

Comment

Army thread 30th August

Recluse;1171082 wrote: Hello expatty :l and tips

It went fine patty. I said to my alcohol worker that I was worried about him giving up on me because of my lack of progress and he said words to the effect that he felt that we are only in the very early stages of dealing with the problem. That was exactly what I needed to hear, because it takes some of the pressure off.
        As long as you don't use it as an excuse. Just saying...

And now I'll shut up again on the topic. Don't want you running for the hills like Mrs. A :H
        AF 21/08/2009

Comment

Army thread 30th August

tiptronic_ct;1171097 wrote: As long as you don't use it as an excuse. Just saying...
          Yep, that's a fair comment, Mr T. I thought exactly the same thing.

Comment

Army thread 30th August

sending hugs to reccy and expat - not mcuh I can say the others haven't said already whilst I was off not working...

so I did plan to work today, super hard n suchlike just as soon as i had my new chili peppers cd - unfortunately the only shop round here that sells CDs didn't have the damn thing so I've had to get a lift to the nearest big town and spent 2 and a half horus to get something I should have had within an hour. That said - totally worth it, awesome album. Going to be dropping off the map for a couple of days - working, spending time with my other half and listening to this album several hundred times, be back thursday night probably

xIC
            I have faced it, a life wasted, and I am never going back there again

To ya'll my name is inchy. I am an alcoholic - and priority number one is making it to the end of this day AF. No excuses.

Comment

Army thread 30th August

Enjoy Inchy
              I'm off for a bit myself. Back later xxx

Comment

Army thread 30th August

stirly-girly;1171042 wrote: Good to see you Reccie. I was starting to get a bit worried, having not seen your cute face for many days.

I doubt your alcohol worker will give up on you. I'm sure he's seen similar cases and much worse cases than yours. The thing is - why are you giving up on yourself? That, my dear friend, is the question. I know you've got a lot of issues and a lot of things to work out but slowly putting one foot in front of the other will eventually get you going down the path to getting your health back and getting the AL situation under control. I know I'm using phrases that you've heard over and over but they happen to be true. Maybe your AL worker can help you find another angle to approach the problem from or help you make a plan that will not put too much pressure on you but will get you heading in the right direction. You've been imprisoned in that bottle long enough. There's a whole new life out there and things to be seen and things to do. I know you like your "recluse-ivity" and that's fine but you'd be better off being by yourself and having some hobbies or something to do than keeping company with AL. It can be done. You just have to want it bad enough. So I hope you have a good session with your worker and maybe find a new way to approach your AL problem. Let us know how it goes. We're all here for you in any way that we can help. :huggy
                On a slightly less flippant note, stirly.....if I'm absent for a few days it's most likely because I've fallen into the bottle, so no need to be overly concerned :l. I'll always come back here as long as there are good people here like yourself who understand what it's like to be an alkie and want to try to help. But regardless of the kind remarks that some people have made in the past, I think it's in everyone's best interests (yours and mine) if I don't post UTI. As far as my reclusivity is concerned, it's purely a coping mechanism, the same as the AL. I actually don't like my reclusivity. I have loads of hobbies and interests, but the trouble is that at the moment I have no desire to partake in those hobbies and interests. Depression and AL win every time. Ok, I'll get off the pity pot now. Time for :sausages:s and :egg:s.

Comment

Army thread 30th August

expat3;1171092 wrote: Hmmm..just a little reflective post since I'm in kind of a pensive mood.
                  I was thinking about how having a drinking problem has changed the way I see the world. Years ago when I was a student-I came to study French literature at the Institut Catholique. I had a job in a restaurant around the Bastille area. At the time it was a really cool area kind of like Camden Town. One night a homeless- very drunk man stumbled into the restaurant to ask for change. The manager -in a very rude way-kicked him out. Pretty much totally humiliated the man. Like most people, I too was disgusted and glad to have a stinky slurring old guy out of the dining area. But one waitress became furious with the manager and said-ok he can't stay here but you could have led him out quietly. Treated him with a bit more respect. You don't know what he's gone through in his life to get to that point.- Wow. I was shocked by her reaction. And now when I look back, I think what a kind hearted girl she was. I didn't have a clue. I never got to the state that the old drunk man was-thank God-but I can say that my drinking and hitting my rock bottom has given me a very different perspective on viewing others. So while in no way am I happy that I have this problem, I think it has given me a compassion and love for others that did not quite exist in me before. And I still think about that waitress and the lesson she taught me.
                  Lovely post, expatty :l

Ok, I've talked too much, so going to shut up for a while and allow others to get a few words in edgeways.

Oh, hello inchy!

Comment

Army thread 30th August

tiptronic_ct;1171079 wrote: Now I'm curious. More details, pliz.
                    The clue was; Bantu language, an official language of South Africa.

I knew that one of your cubs had done an exam in it and kept the easy translation page as a book mark.

Answer: Xhosa :yay: me
                    It could be worse, I could be filing.
                    AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Army thread 30th August

Afternoon all,

Expatty, I'd love to meet that waitress and shake her hand.

It's not so long ago that me and Mr JC let a man, clutching 4 cans of extra strong lager, get through the till before us. He had the shakes so badly it broke my heart and sad to say he needed that drink more than we needed to get home sooner rather than later.
                      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Army thread 30th August

:hallo:

Finally home - the traffic out of Cape Town was horrendous with the cold front setting in. Plus I left an hour later than usual. It was worth it, though. I met with a real-life alkie in need of help. I think I left him with more hope and optimism than he had before. On a very selfish level, I got a whole lot of benefit out of it: the way I can now talk openly about my alcoholism, for example. How easily I spoke about what had brought me there and describe the process I've been through. It also feels good to be able to help someone in real life - as much as I treasure this place and still derive great strength from our little community, a face-to-face meeting is so much more tangible.
                        AF 21/08/2009

Comment

Army thread 30th August

Evening All
                          AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Army thread 30th August

Molo, Sisi
                            AF 21/08/2009