There is hope that life gets better!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey all! I was on this site about 3 years ago checking things out, trying desperately to find a way to stop feeling so panicked and miserable day in and day out.

I was hospitalized over a dozen times in a year due to AL and voluntarily went to treatment on 4 separate occasions.

I was desperate, scared and standing at the gates of hell thinking there was no way I could ever feel different...better.

It took me over 4 years to get where I am today, about 13 months without a single drink. Not to mention the mental obsession is gone and I am LIVING today.

I just want to give some hope to anybody out there who is having a bad day, that can't picture themselves with or without AL. It does get better.

Much love and hope to all.

nicely done keep up the great work and yes life does get better and better
    :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
    best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Yahoo!

Comment

That's good to know... since I am still at a place where the "mental obsession" is overwhelming sometimes. I mean, life IS better; I feel way better, I sleep great at night, and I don't worry everyday that I am slowly killing myself. But, having said that, I still miss it, and crave it. I have to admit that the regular outings just haven't been as fun. BBQ's, ball games, etc. All the things we would do while having some cold beers. I know they say you should take yourself out of the situations where alcohol was present in your life, but to do that I'd have to join a monastery! I am only one month sober so I know I have to give it time. But man, this is hard.
        When push comes to shove, you taste what you're made of.
        You might bend till you break, 'cuz it's all you can take.
        On your knees, you look up, decide you've had enough.

You get mad, you get strong, wipe your hands, shake it off...

Then You Stand.

Comment

BeanoC- Congrats on a month! Wow! That's 30 days and 1,000 nights, am I right?!

For me the hardest part was getting over the mental obsession. It does go away, the key for me was finding a way to fill that hole in my soul and to find a way to not feel like I had to join a convent! I found some people that shared the same goal to be sober. (i found them at AA, but i know not everyone feels comfortable going to meetings, and that's ok!)

It was important for me to be able to maintain some sense of normalcy. So work on finding some people who are sober or non-drinkers. And make sure they're fun! You can do this and you are worth doing this, so keep up the great work and stay close to the people on MWO, they'll love on you until you can love on yourself!!

Comment

Hi there !
            This was absolutely lovely to wake up to this post today.
            So many people on this site question whether they will ever truly recover, and be free of it all.
            It was wonderful, and very thoughtful of you to come back and offer this.
            I wish you the very best of everything in your brand new life.
            Bridget.
            If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
            Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

:-) so glad to hear that. I wish I could've remember my password to my last screen name, it was Down2earth.

But yea, it is possible. What I've been told, is, its simple, but its not easy!

It's so important to have resources to turn to in times of desperation, despair, loneliness and sadness. Those days are now few and far between (THANK GOODNESS) But I still have them and I forgot how much this site helped me through those moments, so I hopped on here to jump in and share my experience and gather some hope to carry with me.

Xoxo

Comment

I am 3 months sober and I don't miss getting drunk or being drunk. I defiantly don't miss the hangovers. Life does get better without the booze.
                I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Right on Drifty!! That's phenomenal! 3 months is a huge accomplishment.

I love how you are recognizing exactly what you DON'T miss about the drinking that is key. I know that if I don't keep my last drunk fresh in my mind its easy to think, "oh it wasn't so bad, and now that i have some time sober, I've learned."

Comment

Hi Gal,

Congrats on your 13 AF months - wonderful!!!!
                    Life does get better, I totally agree. I think it is the mental obsession that holds us back for so long.

Enjoy your freedom, I'm enjoying mine

Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09
                    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Oh Lavande! I couldn't agree more! That freakin mental obsession was slowly killing me. Everytime I would get sometime sober, I thought I had learned how to not go crazy and I would drink again. Anytime I had sober I would think about how I would drink, what I would drink, and how I would hide it. Then finally, I was able to let it go!

Of course there was a mourning period for my dear 'friend' AL, but once I was over it, I've never felt then need or want to go back.

Yippee! I'm free!

Comment

Working...
                      X