A Tale of 10 Beers and 10 People

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Based on consumption statics, this example was given in one of my textbooks and I found it interesting.

(you can pretend this is some other AL beverage than beer - i.e. 5 oz. glasses of wine or mixed drinks with 1.5 oz. of 80 proof AL each)

If we had 10 beers and 10 people:

3 of the people would drink 0 beers.
    5 of the people would all share 2 of the beers. (less than 1/2 beer per person)
    1 of the people would drink 2 of the beers.
    1 of the people would drink 6 of the beers.

Guess which one of those people I was? Better grab a beer quick before I drink 'em all!

Which one are/were you?

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

I didn't drink beer but I would have had the 6 drinks and then the other bottle I had hidden from everyone else.
    AL free since March 17th 2011...loving this life. No drinking no matter what.

Hi my name is Lori and i am so happy to be here.

Comment

Sadly enough, at the pace I used to put away beer, I would be none of the above. I would more likely drink 8 of them before everyone else could finish 2! Seriously. Not only would I drink a lot, but my friends would comment, like "holy cr@p dude, how fast can you drink that??" I would drink a beer in 3 or 4 minutes. a 12 pack an hour was a leisurely pace for me!
      When push comes to shove, you taste what you're made of.
      You might bend till you break, 'cuz it's all you can take.
      On your knees, you look up, decide you've had enough.

You get mad, you get strong, wipe your hands, shake it off...

Then You Stand.

Comment

I was the one who would drink 6. I'm sorta amazed that I'm only one of the people in a group of 10. Which makes me think I really found other alcoholics to spend my time with. Birds of a feather for sure. I didn't want to address my problem so I hung out with those who either drank as much as me or more. I would have been glad that 3 people didn't drink at all in this so that I could have more.... not even wondering if these people were quality folks I would enjoy more then the beer all together.. needless to say... this has me thinking. Thanks DG

Comment

Oh MY! I've read this type statistic before, and I remember when I was the '0' in the group. When beer sat in my fridge till I told Hubs he had to get them out of my way. A doc told me it took me a long time to get to this point, but I kept on till I got there. What a kudo, huh?
          sigpic
          Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
          awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

I would've had all ten beers before anyone else knew they were there. When the replacements arrived, I would THEN drink the 6 beers.

I've had doctors comment on my incredible tolerance for sedation even BEFORE I was a major daily drinker. After I became an extreme daily drinker, I had a doctor call me out on the 'lie' I told about how much I was really drinking...based on the amount of valium he had to give me during a colonoscopy. He was the first to explain tolerance to me and said I needed more sedation than a man twice my size. And...I still wasn't out - I remember the whole darn roto-rooter routine!
            Sober for the Revolution!
            AF & NF July 23, 2011

Comment

Oh, I would have had them all, and anything else that might be laying around
              Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

The situation is a bit perplexing to me. Are 10 people at the same function with 10 beers?
                If so I would have anywhere from 0 to 2. By myself, I would have had 6 - 10.
                Psalms 119:45

?Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.?

St. Francis of Assisi

I'm not perfect, never will be, but better than I was and not as good as I'm going to be.

:rays:

Comment

If there was 10 beers and ten people, I would have made sure that the ones that wanted one, had one and then I would have had the rest.
                  I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

I would have had the 6 and gone home and had another 12.

Comment

Turnagain;1174734 wrote: I would've had all ten beers before anyone else knew they were there. When the replacements arrived, I would THEN drink the 6 beers.

I've had doctors comment on my incredible tolerance for sedation even BEFORE I was a major daily drinker. After I became an extreme daily drinker, I had a doctor call me out on the 'lie' I told about how much I was really drinking...based on the amount of valium he had to give me during a colonoscopy. He was the first to explain tolerance to me and said I needed more sedation than a man twice my size. And...I still wasn't out - I remember the whole darn roto-rooter routine!
                      Oh Gawd, I've been there too with the valium tolerance thing.
                      And yep, I would have been out the back with you drinking the beers and waiting for replacements!

Comment

i think the way i udesd to be, was that anyone at a table who wasnt drinking when there was beer to be drunk, was either driving( i would still have a few) or one of those weird pople who dont drink at every opitunity. they seemed strange and sad to me, little did i know i was in the 10% group(6) not the 30% group(0)...just re read that, does it make sense?
                        AF since 10/26/2009

It will be five years sober 10/26/2014

Comment

All of the above. Except for the 0.

Comment

I would have drunk 10 before I got there, and then thought "Nah, I don't want to go out, I'll stay at home and drink some more."
                            sigpic
                            AF since December 22nd 2008
                            Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Drank before I got there, then the 6 and had to spend the night.
                              sigpic
                              Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Working...
                              X