A Tale of 10 Beers and 10 People

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marshy;1174844 wrote: I would have drunk 10 before I got there, and then thought "Nah, I don't want to go out, I'll stay at home and drink some more."
    OMG! So, would have I!! :H

Comment

I know this shouldn't be funny but all the respones are what i was thinking... LOL i would have the 6 and then try to figure out how to hide a couple of more for later and then wonder if anyone didn't finish theirs ... bad really really bad...
      not sure how we got to this point but i also remember the time when i could have beer in the fridge and NOT drink it.. and when the first thing i thought about when i woke up in the morning wasn't "gee i hope i didn't drink all the wine last night, i think i will sneak downstairs and finish it off before my hubbie wakes up..."
      caper
      AF since Sept 2013...
      :alf:

Comment

Doggygirl;1174702 wrote: Based on consumption statics, this example was given in one of my textbooks and I found it interesting.

(you can pretend this is some other AL beverage than beer - i.e. 5 oz. glasses of wine or mixed drinks with 1.5 oz. of 80 proof AL each)

If we had 10 beers and 10 people:

3 of the people would drink 0 beers.
        5 of the people would all share 2 of the beers. (less than 1/2 beer per person)
        1 of the people would drink 2 of the beers.
        1 of the people would drink 6 of the beers.

Guess which one of those people I was? Better grab a beer quick before I drink 'em all!

Which one are/were you?

DG
        I considered six beers an appetizer. Yes, I would consume a half dozen beers before deciding what to drink for the night. Either vodka or wine. Seems so long go that mid May 2010 hangover when I decided to STOP that ride!
        Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

10 beers? I laugh.

I drank quarts of vodka. Not for the taste, for the effect.

I think many here can relate to that.

Interesting question and how they buried into the question how many of us are alkies.

I think it is more, based on web searches. Queen of Google here.

20% to 30% of us are alcoholics. What state? Where are we on the "journey?" Who knows.

Those who aren't try to figure out how many of us are.

Oh, shoot. I said too much and just wanted to answer.

Love,
          Cindi
          AF April 9, 2016

Comment

choice;1174724 wrote: I was the one who would drink 6. I'm sorta amazed that I'm only one of the people in a group of 10. Which makes me think I really found other alcoholics to spend my time with. Birds of a feather for sure. I didn't want to address my problem so I hung out with those who either drank as much as me or more. I would have been glad that 3 people didn't drink at all in this so that I could have more.... not even wondering if these people were quality folks I would enjoy more then the beer all together.. needless to say... this has me thinking. Thanks DG
            Bingo. Me too.

rubywillow;1174728 wrote: Oh MY! I've read this type statistic before, and I remember when I was the '0' in the group. When beer sat in my fridge till I told Hubs he had to get them out of my way. A doc told me it took me a long time to get to this point, but I kept on till I got there. What a kudo, huh?
            The average length of time for chronic alcholism to develop is 15 - 30 years. (obviously it happens faster sometimes!) What that made me realize is that I truly was "alcoholic" LONG before I even had a clue. I "crossed the line" very very early on and just had no idea.

Turnagain;1174734 wrote:
            I would've had all ten beers before anyone else knew they were there. When the replacements arrived, I would THEN drink the 6 beers.

I've had doctors comment on my incredible tolerance for sedation even BEFORE I was a major daily drinker. After I became an extreme daily drinker, I had a doctor call me out on the 'lie' I told about how much I was really drinking...based on the amount of valium he had to give me during a colonoscopy. He was the first to explain tolerance to me and said I needed more sedation than a man twice my size. And...I still wasn't out - I remember the whole darn roto-rooter routine!
            "normal drinkers" never develop that level of tolerance. The tolerance development is one of the very first signs of addiction. I too developed tolerance early on. I was "drinking the guys under the table" before my freshman year of college was over. My husband on the other hand, a "normie" for sure, has never felt very good if he has more than one. ONE. Who the hell drinks ONE anyway????

RingingCedars;1174740 wrote:
            The situation is a bit perplexing to me. Are 10 people at the same function with 10 beers?
            If so I would have anywhere from 0 to 2. By myself, I would have had 6 - 10.
            This is just based on the averages - i.e. 1 in 10 people in the US are alcohol dependent, X many are non-drinkers, etc.

Farily early in my sobriety I realized I had always carried a belief that "everyone drinks" at social events, etc. Yes, there were some hand selected social events with other alcohol dependent drinkers where indeed, everyone drank. But at regular old social events, there are far more non-drinkers than I ever imagined, and the majority are normal drinkers. So there is nearly always a sober person I can find to sit with. Even if it's someone who is only 6 years old LOL!

DG
            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
            Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

I find myself hanging out with kids all the time in social situations. They bring so much more to the table of conversation then a drunk. Pretty eye opening. And.... the scary part is they know... when someone is drunk and stupid... I really under estimated children when I drank.... thinking they thought I was one of those silly fun adults......... I see how uncomfortable they get when a drunk person tries to engage with them... it is quite creepy.

One in Ten is pretty eye opening too. I really thought everyone drank. Nice to know it's just not true.

Comment

Choice, I was in the school library last night learning how to research journal articals, etc. for an upcoming paper. One of the practice searches led me to an article about how INFANTS respond to alcohol. NOT from ingesting it in any way - but from smelling it.

If they smell it on the mother while having pleasant experiences, they will go on to prefer a pacifier that smells like alcohol over one that does not.

If they smell it on the mother while having unpleasant experiences, they will go on to prefer a pacifier that doesn not smell like AL.

Something like that. I was dying to read the whole article but had to move on.

At any rate - yes indeed I think kids are affected by adult drinking WAY before we as adults like to think they are affected.

DG
                Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

I
                  You always succeed if you never stop trying.
                  Everyday we choose the direction of change.

Comment

6 glasses of wine would be my warm up then I would have had to go on someplace else for more or know there was a bottle waiting for me at home.

Like Choice and DG I also seemed to have collected a whole bunch of friends who would be drinking 6+ too. I didnt know anyone in the 1st two catagories.
                    "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
                    AF - JAN 1st 2010
                    NF - May 1996

Comment

I too am the one with 6 and likely 2 hidden and acting like it was just all gone until I got alone

Comment

We all have a lot in common around here Lil One! You are definitly not alone. I too always had a hidden stash so I could keep filling up my glass "without anyone knowing." (hahahaha) And in the last many years, I was always glad for the official party to be over so the REAL drinking could begin. (alone)

DG
                        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Doggygirl;1181688 wrote: And in the last many years, I was always glad for the official party to be over so the REAL drinking could begin. (alone)
                          Yep. That was me.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

I can identify with many of you on this topic. Now I don't have to live like that.
                            Love and Peace,
                            Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

Working...
                            X