PROFOUND INSIGHT TO THE WHY'S OF DRINKING

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been grasping at straws looking for inspiration to slow down my drinking. I have the daily wine drinking habit. I love all books by Marianne Williamson and when I opened this one, I said a silent prayer for words to help me respect myself and not drink to a stupor most nights. I found it in this passage from "A Woman's Worth". It has changed my life as I could not figure out WHY I drank but now I know. I am posting this passage so it might resonate with other people to help them find their way out of the bottle:

"When I was a child there was a woman who lived across the street named Betty-Lynn. She was sort of a cross between Auntie Mame and Jayne Mansfield. I thought she was the most beautiful, most fascinating, most wonderful woman in the world. Betty Lynn was wild and gorgeous and drove a Cadillac. I thought it was beige, but she called it the colour of champagne. She wanted a thatched roof on her guest house. She obviously had sex with her husband. She always told me I was wonderful.

Years later I remembered the scotch and water that was usually in her hand and many things began to make sense that hadn't made sense when I was young. But at the time she was a model of sorts, a glamorous woman who made me see magic when all I found on my side of the street was a lid placed on my emotions and disapproval of my more outrageous passions.

Why, in the thirty-odd years since I knew this woman, have I never forgotten her? What did she represent that struck me as so real, so passionate, so enchanted?

Whatever it was, the alcohol helped her let it out, but the alcohol enslaved her, and then it killed her. That's clear. But why do people who have the most ardor, the most enchantment, the most power so often feel the need for drugs and alcohol? They do not drink just to dull their pain; they drink to dull their ecstasy. Betty-Lynn lived in a world that didn't know ecstatic women, or want to know, or even allow them to exist. In former times, she would have had her own temple and people from all around would have gathered to sit at her feet and hear her pronounce them marvelous. She would have mixed herbs and oils. But an enlightened world began to burn these women and the world burns them still. Betty-Ann crucified herself before anyone else had a chance to. Many of us are a little like her, choosing to implode rather than take on society's punishment. Those of us who don't must bear society's wrath. But we live through it, bruised and battered though we might be. An more and more of us are now living to tell the tale, surviving the fire, surviving sober, and hopefully altered in such a way that our daughters and grand-daughters will have an easier time."

Tips
    Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
    ? Lao-Tzu

I can certainly relate to this being a piece of the puzzle Tipper. I'm glad they stopped burning women by the time Kate Hepburn came along. First come the whys and then we need to do. Keep doing girl!
    Psalms 119:45

?Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.?

St. Francis of Assisi

I'm not perfect, never will be, but better than I was and not as good as I'm going to be.

:rays:

Comment

RingingCedars;1178307 wrote: I can certainly relate to this being a piece of the puzzle Tipper. I'm glad they stopped burning women by the time Kate Hepburn came along. First come the whys and then we need to do. Keep doing girl!
      Hey RC, hope all is well....I'm trying to keep "Don't'un" if you know what I mean. :H
      Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Tipplerette;1178381 wrote: Hey RC, hope all is well....I'm trying to keep "Don't'un" if you know what I mean. :H
        NoTipper, I dunt know what "Don't'un" is. Would you splain please?
        Psalms 119:45

?Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.?

St. Francis of Assisi

I'm not perfect, never will be, but better than I was and not as good as I'm going to be.

:rays:

Comment

Hey, Tips...

The quote was very profound. I saw myself in Betty-Lynn. One of which:

"But why do people who have the most ardor, the most enchantment, the most power so often feel the need for drugs and alcohol? They do not drink just to dull their pain; they drink to dull their ecstasy."

Y'know, Tips, when I was in (self-induced in-patient) rehab years and years ago, my counselor asked if my parents berated me or told me I was a piece of shit (paraphrasing) in any way. I assured her, "No, no...my parents brought me up to believe that I was the most awesome, wonderful child in the universe." She was very puzzled.

But seriously, my parents brought us up to believe that we were EVERYTHING. Precious. Capable. Talented. I don't know where my psyche went wrong on me, really...I guess one time was when I had a scholarship to Interlochen Arts Academy and I was thinking to myself, "I'm really the *shit*" (in a good, pat-on-the-back way) and then saw kids who *blew doors* on me. And when I went to college, having formerly been the 'smartest' kid in school (not grade wise, but...) and suddenly seeing that there were these OTHER kids who were equally as smart as I was, if not more.

I started to doubt myself, and I've doubted myself to this day. I don't know what it is. AL has its place in the mix, that's for certain. But I also looked up a term, "atypical depression" which really explained a lot to me. Check out: Atypical depression - MayoClinic.com and make sure to check out the little > links that have symptoms, treatment, etc.

I've been on anti-dep meds since 1983, following an assault, but judging from my writing, poetry and music from my teens, I really needed meds *much* younger.

I don't really know where I'm going with this story...just wanted to share my common experience with what you posted.

Group hugs to all still suffering and those who are doing well!

?Nichau
          :h
          "The Pessimist complains about the wind; the Optimist expects it to change; the Realist adjusts the sails."

—William A. Ward

Comment

THanks for your comments, Nichau, that exact line is what brought tears to my eyes and that exact line has stopped me from putting myself in a stupor ever since I read it. I was at a wedding tonight and did enjoy the wine like everyone else but when coffee was served, my wine glass was pushed aside half empty and that's because something clicked in that I don't want to DULL out; I want to be the vibrant person that I am. No one has ever said it like Marianne Williamson said it.

I'll check out that website to see if I find any more insight.

Take care and enjoy the evening.

Tips
            Tipplerette

? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Working...
            X