First time here in 15 months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is the 3rd time I've been here and once again, I'm going to try to go alcohol free. Beginning tomorrow. I've found that each time I stop and then start up drinking again, it takes a longer time to get the strength to try to stop. I don't know if I'm an "alcoholic" or not and I guess it doesn't matter. I don't like a lot about my drinking. I've never been in any trouble and my husband buys my wine although I sometimes make a trip so he won't know how much I drink. I love my cabernet. My witching time is around 6:30 or 7:00 in the evening until I go to bed. I drink probably 3/4 bottle each night. It used to be 1/2 so it is increasing. I've been doing this for probably 15 or maybe 20 years -- a long time, and frightening in that it's been so long. I am sluggish in the mornings and certainly don't have the energy I used to. However, maybe it is only that I'm growing older. Here is what I don't like about my drinking in addition to having less energy:
    - I don't read much anymore, only watch tv and play on the computer. I used to be an avid reader
    - I'm not a good role model for my children. They're both grown but still every occasion includes wine.
    - I don't really enjoy going anyplace in the evenings because it interferes with "my" time to drink
    - I associate drinking with relaxing
    - On a few occasions when the phone rings in the evenings, I know I have sometimes slurred my words a little
    - It probably interferes with my health although I'm not aware of any problems yet
    - I waste all that in the evenings although maybe I wouldn't do much in the evenings anyway
    - I feel as if I have a secret life
    - It is expensive
    I will write these down and add more as I think of them. I need to be here, I know. Both times I tried this before, I did well and thought I didn't need to come here anymore and would be fine. I think it absolutely helps to read the postings here everyday.
    THank you for reading and I hope I'm here tomorrow beginning Day 1.
    GolfD

Welcome back. If alcohol is causing a problem in your life, then you are right - it doesn't matter if you are alcoholic or not. Time to ditch the AL.

Good luck to you!

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Exactly. Coming here everyday helps. I posted daily post till I got to day 114 and decided to go to weekly because I feel that I don't need to do them, however I am still here every day and will up date weekly on the weekly posts. I won't quit my quit. In the past I wondered away from here when I thought I had it licked and it brought me back to the AL hold.
      I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Golfdiva, I can relate to your post. Beginning with having no energy in the morning to being expensive! Oh.... and certainly having a secret life!
        September 23, 2011

Comment

Golfdiva,
          I was just like you only with beer. Everyday drinking for years, yet I thought I was functioning.
          For me it was time to quit. You will find what works for you.
          Love and Peace,
          Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

Thank you

Thank you for your encouraging posts. They do help. Today is my Day One but I'm happy and excited. I hope I can keep the momentum going. We had an event to go to last evening and I managed to have two glasses of wine and that was it forever, I hope. It frightens me to think forever though, so I'm only going to think today and maybe 30 days. Last time I thought that though, on day 31, I started drinking again!

Comment

If you going to worry about days ahead from now it is going to be real tough. Do it one day at a time. Consecrate on today, today and worry about tomorrow,tomorrow.
              I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
              X