I'm ready for rehab... any advice??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well thats it I finally can't take it anymore and i have officially stopped fooling myself that i can do this alone or by attending a couple of meetings here and there. Oh and the favorite "i will just have this 1 glass of wine" hahaha what a joke.

I called my Dr.s office wednesday and told the receptionist i needed an appointment ASAP.. she told me next week there was a spot. I told her no i needed one right away. she asked why and i told her... yup i said it outloud for the first time. "I am ready to go to rehab" she said thats great i can squeeze you in tommorrow.. My doctor is very supportive and we sat and filled out all the forms together. Now i have to fax them off and wait.
    I hope to GOD that the wait will not be too long.. we have insurance so i may get in quicker.

Has anyone else been to a 35 day rehab facility and if so what did you think of it? do they expect me to be sober for weeks before i enter (don't really see the point of that)? is the food any good?

Caper
    caper
    AF since Sept 2013...
    :alf:

Caper, doesn't it feel good just to be completely honest with yourself and decide to take the next step? I'm really happy for you and I hope rehab helps you. I have not done inpatient rehab myself but know many people who have. The ones who have done it more than once have an interesting perspective. One of my friends who is now about 1.5 years off of heroin and crack went to rehab many times prior to this last time that so far, has worked. She said it wasn't the rehabs that weren't good, it was HER that was not good. The first several times she was in there because of judges or family, but not FOR HERSELF. Her last rehab was FOR HERSELF and she embraced it and gave herself 100% to the program. So far, it's working great for her.

I hope it works that way for you too.

These days, a rehab should probably not expect "sober time" from you before entering. They will however, want to determine whether they think you need a medical detox first - for your safety. They should anyway.

All the best to you!!

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

thanks DG... i am actuallly looking forward to going.. wierd.. just to be free from the AL chains and work on my issues.. the facility looks like a resort... i will give 110% i'm ready for this. it will be hard on the hubby and kids but they are 14 and 9. they should be able to take care of themselves for 35 days..

caper
      caper
      AF since Sept 2013...
      :alf:

Comment

Been through a couple...neither had decent food. Arrived at both of them drunk...most people seem to. Good luck.
        "If I don't go crazy, honey, I'm going to lose my mind." Son House

Comment

Caper, I haven't been to rehab but just wanted to wish you well. I hope you'll come back and tell us about it. Sounds like you'll be successful because you're really ready!

Take care.

Comment

caper564;1189395 wrote: thanks DG... i am actuallly looking forward to going.. wierd.. just to be free from the AL chains and work on my issues.. the facility looks like a resort... i will give 110% i'm ready for this. it will be hard on the hubby and kids but they are 14 and 9. they should be able to take care of themselves for 35 days..

caper
            Sounds like you have the right attitude for success. I bet it would be even harder on your family in the long run if you didn't go. I hope they see it that way too. Even if they don't, I know they will survive. As alcohol addicts, we may NOT survive if we don't get a handle on it. Make the most of your time away from the outside stress to just work on yourself.

:l

DG
            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
            Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

35 days out of a lifetime is a drop in a bucket. Good for you for putting yourself first and doing what needs to be done. Remember "If Mama Ain't Happy, ain't Nobody Happy!!" Do whatever it takes to get yourself on track and the rest will follow. All the best to you in your rehabilitation.

Tips
              Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
              ? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Unwasted;1189412 wrote: Caper, I haven't been to rehab but just wanted to wish you well. I hope you'll come back and tell us about it. Sounds like you'll be successful because you're really ready!

Take care.
                Same here.
                I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Caper have never been to rehap myself,BIL has and came out brand new and is doing very well now for himself and family,Goodluck and please drop back in here when you return :-)

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                  I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

I was lucky enough to be able to go to a great one on the Florida coast a few years ago. Food was great. They said it helped support us during the process. Also, several people came in stone drunk, bit since there were 3 days of medicated detox it didn't matter. We had constant meetings, classes, instruction, along with physical workouts, so we were constantly stimulated, busy
                    My best advice is to take advantage every moment and take advantage of every opportunity to learn more about this disease. I'm sure every facility is very different, but we have to try for the same outcome. It truly opened my eyes.
                    sigpic
                    Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                    awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

@Caper, I have been to a rehab and I advise you to be very very careful in choosing one. Rehabs are a cash cow for many uncaring owners. The one I was in closed down last year -- it was touted as one of the best in SoCAl, but the owner was (rightfully) accused of bedding many of his vulnerable clients. These places often take advantage of the 12-step programs, which are free, and much of the "program" consists of having their underpaid, recently recovered employees driving you to two meetings a day. Which costs them nothing. At my place, which cost $10K a month, there were drugs running rampant in the place, they treated everyone as if they had the same cookie-cutter malady, and get this -- gave our house mom only $280 a week to feed 9 people. It was horrifying. They wouldn't even release $5 of my own money so I could buy tampons. I got very creative with toilet tissue.

The food was whatever the "clients" could create out of the cheapest items bought at Costco. With the exception of the PhD psychologist, every employee was a convicted felon, and in California (and likely most states) the educational and work prerequisites to earn a state addiction counseling license are far less demanding than those for a barber! What really got me was that they put me on quite the cocktail of drugs -- I've never taken any drugs at all -- and they were kept and dispensed by a housemother who'd been clean for a whopping 60 days. They take advantage of recovering addict-felons who can't get a job anywhere else, and pay them almost nothing.

If you can find a non-12-step place, I think your chances are better of finding people who genuinely want to help you. Rehabs are an unregulated business where many owners take advantage of vulnerable adults and the desperate parents of screwed-up kids. Be very discerning in which one you pick. I know I wasn't able to think straight at the time, and I wish I'd enlisted the help of a clearheaded friend to help me choose where I was going. One place I know of is practicalrecovery.com in San Diego, but perhaps there are state-sponsored places in Canada that are more reasonably-priced.

Comment

St. Gregorys, Adair, Iowa. Can't say kind enough things about that place.

Best of luck,
                        Cindi
                        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

I am currently in out-patient treatment. My first time. Your story sounds like mine. I believe that when we decide for ourselves, not for anyone else we are going to succeed at controlling this illness. I am happy now. Dealing with my feelings sucks sometimes without the buzz of booze to numb them but I can do it without difficulty. You are strong and brave. Alcoholism is completely treatable especially when we don't fight it alone. If you knew what a bitch I was before treatment, you would be amazed at how at peace I am now. I have been a drunk for 20 plus years, only stopped during my baby raising years. When my babies turned into teenagers, I hit the sauce everyday without fail. I finally figured out why I drank and that made all the difference. Treatment is a great help.

Comment

Caper, I too am from Ontario Canada. I have been to 2 - Homewood in guelph and House of Sophrosyne in Windsor. I would suggest the House hands down. Best thing I ever did for myself. It is all women, 35 days and also deals with trauma. You will have to be 5-7 days clean to get in. PM me if you would like more information but I can tell you the House of Sophrosyne saved my life. The staff is amazing and the treatment is the best around.

Good luck!
                            Every day is a day to start over and remember that I am powerless over my addiction. I will no longer give the BEAST any power over me - he can go straight to hell.
                            :h

Comment

Working...
                            X