What has alcohol cost you financially

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About 2 months after I quit drinking I went through my ATM info to track exactly how much I spent during my last year of drinking. On booze and beer alone, I spent over $15,000.00 dollars during my last year. I was drinking at about that same pace for close to 4 years. Aside from that I got a DUI 10 years earlier, and the total cost with fines and court fees and a rise in insurance costs was $13,500.00. So I would say in the last four years I spent over $60,000.00 on drinking, and in the last 10 years I spent over $120,000.00 on alcohol or paying off problems caused by alcohol.

I always wondered why I always felt like a couldn't account for where my money was going, come to find out I was pissing $15K down the toilet each year. I am now richer in so many ways!

Comment

OMG where to begin??

The Cost to my fellow Canadian tax payers....3 recent trips to the ER - broken wrist (drunk at concert) - 27 stitches (smashed a window) - 3rd degree burns (pissing around) **** SORRY!!****

Cost to my bank account, $800/month... easy! Hmmm (x) that by 10 yrs = ouchy!

Cost to my health.... yet to be determined... probably shaved off a cool decade?

Cost to my reputation... can you put a price on that?

It has been a Damn shame! Now I'm sad!! But happy I'm doing something about it now...Je suis prest!

Boh
      http://www.aahistory.com/days.html

Round 1 - AF/NF Sept 29, 2011-June 23, 2012

Round 2 - AF/NF October 6, 2012-December 2012

Round 3 - AF/NF January 5, 2014 - ????

Third times a charm!

Comment

OMG, I just found this thread while reading the site. I knew I spent a lot on alcohol, but I never realized all of the other costs associated with drinking. I have done most of the things mentioned. I purchased things online while drunk, Ive destroyed things that needed to be replaced. I lost so many things.... I too lost at least 4 pairs of prescription glasses and have lost purses and wallets. I've needed to get my car fixed.

Not to mention all the money I've spent on "replacing" alcohol I have had to sneak. When my husband Has not been around, I have drunk his expensive scotch more than once and had to replace it. The same thing a with a couple of expensive bottles of champagne and many bottles of expensive wine. If it was my choice I'd get the pretty cheap stuff since I was just drinking to get buzzed.

I also suffer from the "I'll never drink another drink" syndrome at 10 o'clock in the morning, which changes to "just one won't hurt" syndrome by 5 pm. Because of this, I'd spill out liquor In the morning vowing not to drink and by mid afternoon I'd purchase the same bottles I just spilled out.

Thanks for opening my eyes to this. It makes me nauseous just looking back.

Comment

Oh Martie, I was exactly the same way...pouring out bottles when I was going to "drink no more", followed by having to replace them the very next day (after refilling with water, and praying that my husband did not want a drink that evening). My husband does not buy cheap booze either, and it hangs around a long time because he just doesn't drink that much. Ugh...it makes me so sick to think about how much i wasted pouring down the sink and down my throat (but really, the sink was always the better choice).

Now I am so happy I haven't had to walk into a liquor store in 6 weeks! Was really tired of shop-hopping also. Sometimes I still drive past one of my shops and think "do I need to stop in for any replacement booze?" Thankfully I don't.
          BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Martie;1221020 wrote:

Not to mention all the money I've spent on "replacing" alcohol I have had to sneak. When my husband Has not been around, I have drunk his expensive scotch more than once and had to replace it.

I also suffer from the "I'll never drink another drink" syndrome at 10 o'clock in the morning, which changes to "just one won't hurt" syndrome by 5 pm. Because of this, I'd spill out liquor In the morning vowing not to drink and by mid afternoon I'd purchase the same bottles I just spilled out.
            I could have wrote this... it's amazing most of us suffer the same issues with AL.. its why i like this site. I truly am not alone in this..

caper
            caper
            AF since Sept 2013...
            :alf:

Comment

Working...
            X