Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holy freeeholy

Just one more reason to stop drinking.

When I stopped drinking(about 6 months ago) I weighed around 215 pounds..........my new friend the scale told me to day I am at 189!!! I had to do it a few times, I thought it might be April 1st, but no, it is true....WOW I had no idea AL was adding that much weight.
    Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Holy freeeholy

fantastic Nelz!!!! And congratulations also on your (about) 6 months AF!

I'm only just over the 30 day mark but my weight has dropped about 5 lbs already....and I was "mindful" of my drinking - mixing my vodka with plain water as to not add extra calories...:H (funny but sooo not funny)
    ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Holy freeeholy

There's quite a lot of discussion about this during Weight Watchers meetings. People save points for AL, the leader keeps stressing that one drink is 4 points with no nutrition etc. Anyway, I think there's a lot of that going on! Plus I used to run into the same people at WW and happy hour.

But congrats on that weight loss!!!

Comment

Holy freeeholy

Congrats Nelz!!! Yet another huge benefit of letting AL go!

crimsons - I've been on the GAIN lately after letting sugar back in my life - a huge mistake. I need to get back on the WW bandwagon WITHOUT trying to tote the sugar barge along with me! I was at a business function last night and saw a colleague who is also started WW last spring and lost 30 pounds. She looked great - and also had a glass of wine in her hand. However, I know that she rarely drinks, and is one of those amazing and baffling individuals who probably nursed that one glass all evening, and probably set it down when she left with some wine still in it. Without a thought. Amazing!

Hoarding points for wine on the other hand, would be a losing strategy for anyone who drikns remotely like I did. There would not be enough points for booze, much less any food in there!

DG
        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Holy freeeholy

@DG, I think the syndrome you describe is why my entire WW class is female and 30 lbs. overweight.

Comment

Holy freeeholy

Nelz -- That's fantastic....an added bonus.

I must be the only one who does not loose weight and I was drinking about 600 beer calories most days. SHit...SHit....Sh3#$ and NOT FAIR.:H:H

Probably just need more time, which is the question I have. Did you all loose weight in the first 30 days or did it take a while??

Comment

Holy freeeholy

windy, I'm not sure if you are a boy or a girl and if a girl, how old you are, aka where are you in that infamous, crazy, hormonal cycle of life. For me, my booze calories were ginourmous and I fully expected to drop some pounds pretty easily when I stopped drinking, especially since I was also following the nutrition guidelines in the My Way Out book. (aka not substituting sugar for AL) I also actually tracked my calories on my low carb diet. My weight then was 204 and I was 48 years old.

You can probably imagine my :upset: and :egad: when I STRUGGLED to lose anything, and what little I did lose came roaring back at the least dietary infraction. (I was also working out at Curves 5 - 6 X per week doing the full circuit)

Not sure if this particular failure contributed to my relapse, although I'm quite sure my lack of acceptance of my addiction, and the absolutely need for abstinence was the primary factor! I relapsed and just struggled in general flopping around with drinking, eating, and weight untill May 2008.

I then read a book by Suzanne Somers called The Sexy Years. This book talked about hormone balance issues that are common for women in my age bracket. This led me to more research, and finding a doctor who would work with me. Treating a mild hypothyroid condition and going on bioidentical hormone replacement therapy helped improve the quality of my life after stopping drinking. I still have some issues from time to time with hot flashes, but the severe night sweats are gone and my hot flashes are not nearly what they used to be. I also feel like my moods are much more stable as well. (although quitting the booze had a BIG something to do with that too!)

On the weight loss front, the thyroid hormone replacement "levels the playing field" as it pertains to weight loss. That means if I eat appropriately and execise, I get "fair" results. By the same token, if I eat like crap and exercise sporadically, I gain weight (like now! ). But it's not like it used to be where it was nearly impossible to lose and gains occurred at the drop of a hat.

Well, that was long winded but I think many women might be in the same position I was. If you (or anyone reading) think this could be you, I suggest reading one of Suzanne's books and then seeing where that leads.

DG
              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Holy freeeholy

Windy, I noticed a pretty quick loss, particularly in my face, and my love handle area.

I would say the rest of it I shed off over the six months....Id say the first 10 fell off in a week or two.........the rest of the weight has been slowly gowing away. I can see my stomach "caving" in from the sides.

Granted I do eat a little more healthy now, and my job is physical, so I tend to burn more calories than the avg joe.

I promise you it will go away, I was drinking 10 beers a night(sometimes more), figure avg of 100 calories..........thats 1000 empty calories a day!!!

So multiply that by 180 days..........thats like a bazzzzillllion calories, I didnt have to burn off

I just had to share, I could NOT believe my eyes this AM, thats about 14 pounds more than I was in high school. Now, if I could be that young again.....................LOL

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Holy freeeholy

Nelz -- This is great new. Do you really want to be that kid again? I would if I could do with the knowledge I have now. My grandmother used to say Youth is wasted on the Young. I sure get that now. So you promise it will go away?? I will hold you to it. Thanks for the encouraging words.

I guess for me and the weight issue is part of my age. I am (female) and 51. So yes, Doggiegirl, there are those menopausal issues and I am taking HRT's of the bioidentical variety. Maybe what I am struggling with is I want my 38-year-old body back...Before I had child #3. I think it is key to find a good doctor who will truly take an interest in your situation. I find that almost impossible. I go once a year and I don't think my doctor always checks hormone levels and thyroid. Grrrr. I guess I need to be more proactive on that front.

I firmly believe exercise is the key element and reducing sugar. I try to exercise regularly, but I am struggling with the everyday commitment, which I think is necessary at my tender age. Sugar....well whole different story....

How about you Nelz -- Have you eliminated sugar from your diet or cut down????

Comment

Holy freeeholy

Way to go Nelz,
                    I am noticing a loss already after 3 weeks. I was able to wear jeans I haven't worn in a long time. The weight loss I really love is the weight off of my shoulders from carrying around the anxiety of drinking - another huge bonus.

Peace

Comment

Holy freeeholy

Mind if I butt in here folks?

When I first gave up drinking I lost 4 kilos. That's about 8.8 of your pounds. It literally fell off. Only took a couple of weeks

Some time into the journey I decided to be more proactive and stop making excuses and have now lost 12 kilos (about 26.4 pounds I think). Good steady weight loss is the best strategy with a programme like WW, and none of this other faddy rubbish eliminating food groups and such (all of which I have tried since the age of 12).
                      Here's another factor....a steady application of low GI carbohydrates over the day will.
                      A. Help you lose weight/beat hunger/have the energy to exercise.
                      B. Keep your mood steady.
                      C. Help reduce sugar cravings, including....you guessed it......alcohol.....

The only thing we have to eliminate is alcohol....
                      ...And alcohol is NOT a food group people :H

The very best to everyone .....
                      Bridge.
                      If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
                      Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

Holy freeeholy

Yes Windy, I have tried to cut down on any and all sugar possible. I also drink a LOT of water.

Also, I heard a lot about portion control. I try to use smaller plates, and I dont eat until I am full anymore. Ive learned that the stomach is full before it sends the signal to our brains. I dont leave the table hungry, but not 100 percent full. It takes a bit of willpower, but its worth it.

My new diner now is a bag of mixed veggies you can fix in the microwave, not the usual calorie laden foods I used to eat. My only guilty pleasure I can NOT give up, is my goodnight cookies. Those cookies with the m/m's on them...........4 of those and a tall cold glass of milk before retiring.

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Holy freeeholy

Nelz;1200417 wrote: My only guilty pleasure I can NOT give up, is my goodnight cookies. Those cookies with the m/m's on them...........4 of those and a tall cold glass of milk before retiring.
                          Nelz, will you marry me? :H
                          sigpic
                          Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Holy freeeholy

NELZ!!! I just noticed that your 180 day goal is "DONE." If it was recent, I think I might have missed that party. If so....

:yougo::yougo:CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!:yougo::yougo:

DG

PS - I think you and Greenie make the cutest couple ever. I will get the rumor going full force. No need to thank me - I'm happy to help. :H
                            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Holy freeeholy

haha!!! Nelz, I watched video - I have never driven a motorcycle...and it's just amazing to me the amount of "leaning"!!!!!!! Seems that tipping over would happen more frequently! You're right - maybe I need to become a daredevil - who needs alcohol! :-) I love the image of the motorcycle daredevil that still needs his M and M goodnight cookies...
                              ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Working...
                              X