AL/Breast Cancer Study

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AL/Breast Cancer Study

From the LA Times: As few as 6 drinks a week increases the chance of breast cancer, claims a Harvard study:
    Light drinking linked to increased breast cancer risk - latimes.com

As in previous studies, the analysis found that women who consumed at least 30 grams of alcohol per day ? about two drinks ? were 51% more likely to develop breast cancer than women who didn't drink at all. But for the first time, researchers were able to see that the risk of breast cancer begins to rise with even modest alcohol intake.

"When you look at this, you see a dose-response effect," said Dr. Wendy Y. Chen, the lead author of the paper and an assistant professor of medicine at Brigham and Women's Hospital and Harvard Medical School in Boston. "That strengthens the fact that what you're finding is real."

Chen and her colleagues also demonstrated that binge drinking, defined as six or more drinks in one sitting, was associated with a 33% increase in cancer risk independent of total alcohol intake over time and that alcohol consumption between the ages of 18 and 40 was linked with higher breast cancer risk later in life no matter what a woman's drinking habits were after age 40.

AL/Breast Cancer Study

I want to add that although the study only had female participants, it likely applies to men, too. My brother, a heavy lifelong drinker, got breast cancer and underwent a mastectomy at age 52. At least we can talk about our mammograms together now!

Comment

AL/Breast Cancer Study

Scary stuff! Thanks for the info.

Comment

AL/Breast Cancer Study

It would be interesting to see the numbers of men who suffer from this cancer and have to have surgery or other treatments.

Comment

AL/Breast Cancer Study

Very interesting although it comes as no great surprise. I had breast cancer and am pretty convinced that it is due to my alcohol consumption over the past 20 years or so. Interestingly my mum also had breast cancer but there is no genetic link whatsoever and our cancers were completely different. She too has been a big drinker over the years.
          AL free since 24 October 2011

Comment

AL/Breast Cancer Study

@CS04, off the top of my head, I think that about 1% of all breast cancers are in men. Fortunately, my brother's was contained in the milk duct so he had discharge and it was obvious something was wrong. Didn't need chemo. But the pinkness of it all can be very emasculating to the guys who do end up with it -- he was surrounded by pink teddy bears and ribbons and wearing a pink hospital gown when I went to pick him up after surgery. Fortunately he was so high on Vicodin it all seemed funny to him at the time.

Comment

AL/Breast Cancer Study

I had BC and wondered if it was due to my AL intake
              How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

AL/Breast Cancer Study

This scares the hell out of me, I pray to God that I never get breast or any type of cancer. Did the article say if the damage was irreparable damage?Gina

Comment

AL/Breast Cancer Study

On Facebook this morning: Breast cancer risk may increase by low levels of alcohol consumption - The Breast Cancer Site

Comment

AL/Breast Cancer Study

But I wonder about when we stop. Does our chances improve? Or still high having done it, are at a higher risk?

Probably still high, damage done I would think

Comment

AL/Breast Cancer Study

I don't care. I just know that I can't undo what I've done so I won't beat myself up again, but I sure as hell don't plan to contribute to further risk.

Comment

Working...
                      X