Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Army Thread Wednesday 2 November

Happy Hump Day folksies (except Pingu)

It's going to warm up nicely in Cape Town today - 25C expected.

My calendar is also pretty open, so no rushing from meeting to meeting.
    I'll do whatever it takes
    AF 21/08/2009

I thought I'd share something that happened to me earlier in the week.

After the latest fracas on the meds threads, I sent an email to one of the high-profile members in the meds section. In the individual's response, it was implied that I'm wasting time and effort by just "chatting to friends" (I'm paraphrasing) and that it is of little or no value in helping other alcoholics.

I haven't responded to the person yet. Not sure if I'm going to, even.

So what is the point of this post? Simply to say that without MWO and this thread in particular, I don't think I would still have been sober today. And I'm convinced the same is true for many of us. I also think this little community contributes a hell of a lot to those people still struggling. The mutual support we offer to one another is invaluable.

Right. That's quite enough. Before I know it, the Frog will be telling me I'm being all sooky
    AF 21/08/2009

Comment

Chromie -Your secret is safe with me. (Can't wait to run and tell the Undies that you're a sooky la-la)

Morning Army peeps - have a great Hump Day.

Comment

Good morning Tips and Zenners . I love this chatty forum too. It has saved me from myself many times and accepted me when I have not stayed on the straight and narrow.

A good night sleep in the Anon home due to the non snoring of Mr A:goodjob:

Off for a run then Pilates followed by GP appointment and then a theatre visit to see a play. No time for a hump day here.

BTW hello Tawny

Comment

Morning Army
          Just enjoying a lazy morning -it's back to work tomorrow.
          I agree with you Tips.:l Don't think we are "wasting our time" at all coming here to chat with each other. Has saved me more times then I can count.:l
          bacinabit x

Comment

Morning folks, hmm Tips this is a subject that has come up a couple of times both here and on the undies threads. IMO for what it's worth is that theses threads are invaluable. I know that can be hard to see when you are not actively involved because at times the subject matter seems frivolous but it has to be remembered it comes from a base of people where the shadow of AL is always hanging over us, in the background to lesser or greater degrees dependant on where we are on our journeys. This isn't facebook and never will be, it is a self help group of alcoholics. The reason I come here is to give and receive support and understanding from people who know only to well the pain and madness alcoholism brings to a persons life, that we chat about allsorts of nonsense doesn't change that fact and never will. The fact that I have met people here whom I care about and consider friends is such an added bonus.
            Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

KTAB;1201940 wrote: Morning folks, hmm Tips this is a subject that has come up a couple of times both here and on the undies threads. IMO for what it's worth is that theses threads are invaluable. I know that can be hard to see when you are not actively involved because at times the subject matter seems frivolous but it has to be remembered it comes from a base of people where the shadow of AL is always hanging over us, in the background to lesser or greater degrees dependant on where we are on our journeys. This isn't facebook and never will be, it is a self help group of alcoholics. The reason I come here is to give and receive support and understanding from people who know only to well the pain and madness alcoholism brings to a persons life, that we chat about allsorts of nonsense doesn't change that fact and never will. The fact that I have met people here whom I care about and consider friends is such an added bonus.
              Well said my friend:thanks:

Comment

Morning Anon, big storm blowing up here. Going to see if I can find time later to hit the beach for half an hour with the dogs. I could do with trying to clear my head.
                Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

morning everyone
                  happy Hump Day (except me!)

Today I am making cakes for a meeting at my house this evening, and arranging some music for a woodwind group I have to lead in a concert next month, and hopefully meeting my best mate for a pub lunch and a walk by the river.....

all in all a very pleasant day....
                  I have a drink problem, I have been AF since 15 March 2011 and I am working hard to stay that way

They don't call me Pingu Purple Pants for nothing....

Comment

Good morning Tippers, Zenners, Whizzy, Expatty, KTabbers, Pingu and all those yet to drop by

Now then I'll start with some questions.

Where did I get the confidence to fly by myself and meet total strangers from?

Where did I get the confidence to apply for two volunteering jobs?

Where did I come to when I needed comfort when my uncle died?

Where did I come to when our finances went belly up?

Where do I come to when I want to share good news?

The answer to all of the above is the Army thread.

My turn to be mushy, but between the Army and the luvverly Mr JC I've got my life back.
                    It could be worse, I could be filing.
                    AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

JackieClaire;1201950 wrote: Good morning Tippers, Zenners, Whizzy, Expatty, KTabbers, Pingu and all those yet to drop by

Now then I'll start with some questions.

Where did I get the confidence to fly by myself and meet total strangers from?

Where did I get the confidence to apply for two volunteering jobs?

Where did I come to when I needed comfort when my uncle died?

Where did I come to when our finances went belly up?

Where do I come to when I want to share good news?

The answer to all of the above is the Army thread.

My turn to be mushy, but between the Army and the luvverly Mr JC I've got my life back.
                      awwwww JC that's so nice

Somewhere between medication, alcohol free living, MWO, a passion rekindled for music, my good friends and meditation classes I am also getting mine back. And the weird thing is that since I started meditation I feel like I have more time in each day.......

another group hug coming on.....

there's a chocolate cake in the oven mmmmmmmmmmm
                      I have a drink problem, I have been AF since 15 March 2011 and I am working hard to stay that way

They don't call me Pingu Purple Pants for nothing....

Comment

Arrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhh you mentioned chocolate cake.:upset:
                        AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Good morning Army!!! Troopers, what lovely posts to start the morning with.

Tipster, IMO, that person is way out of line with that remark. Why do I say that? Because although we banter back and forth, as do a most threads that have regular posters, you, as well as the other "members" of the Army thread, jump to help anyone who's struggling - newbies, people who have been here for a while and oldies who have lapsed. And whoever else may need our support and help by giving whatever advice we can based on our own personal experience as an alcoholic. Because, as KTAB said, we know just what the others are talking about because we've all been there. I know that you personally, have been an invaluable poster on the meds threads, among others, due to sharing your own experience with Bac with the members who post there. And as for the meds threads, although I don't post, I do read them a bit, and there is certainly a lot of "chatting" going on there. In fact I could name a couple of threads that, IMHO, haven't contributed anything positive or informative at all. Just a couple of people who started them just for fun and silliness. Wasting your time? I would think that you would truly waste your time by replying to such a thoughtless e-mail. Certainly no reason to explain yourself or validate your contribution to this forum.

And ditto to what the others said about the value of the Army thread and the friends we've made here, virtual or real, to all of us in our everyday lives and especially when we're struggling or troubled. :h to all of you.

Wishing you all a very

Am off to the shops but will drop in later for a eeky:

For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
                          AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

Morning Stirls.

Well you're there I need a few bits and bobs or can you just drop of a portion of your dinner on the door step.Can't be bothered to cook today so I'll stick it in the microwave.
                            AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

:hallo:

I was fecking hungry, so I'm having lunch early. The weather is stunning outside - I'll pop out again after eating for some fresh air.
                              AF 21/08/2009

Comment

Working...
                              X