Army Thread FRIDAY 4th November

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I hope you have a brilliant time there, whizzy. Is Mr A still off the booze?

Comment

Recluse;1203298 wrote:
      Your new washer didn't last long Jackie :upset: What's up with it?
      It did one load this morning, then wouldn't fill to start the second load.

So I look me life in my hands, climbed on chair, looked for manual on the top shelf of the cupboard where every thing important lives, it wasn't there. Found it eventually behind the big thing that we stick all the bills behind. Then read manual and according to that to use the untechnical term it's f***ed.

On the bright side it's still under warranty so they've got to mend it toot sweet.
      It could be worse, I could be filing.
      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Recluse;1203286 wrote: Hiya stirly, how're you?
        Hiya Reccie - and JC and Mrs. A and Mr. Tips.

So-so to be honest. This whole financial situation and the political uproar are things I don't like to see and hear. There is going to be a vote of confidence (or not) in Parliament tonight as to the Prime Minister's ability to run the country. Many of his own members are saying that they will vote against him. The problem is he's just barely got a majority government right at the moment so it's really touch and go as to whether he will get the vote. If not, the government collapses and we go to national elections. Which as you know, are costly and no one party is strong enough to win the majority of the votes right now. So then they'll need to form a coalition government but they'll be arguing about who should be the PM. They'll all want the power of that chair. So that would mean yet another round of elections and still more expenses til they finally decide to agree on something. Apparently Merkel asked the leader of the opposition party if we have enough money to print election ballots. :no: The other possibility is that Papandreou wins the vote of confidence, if, in his speech to Parliament, he promises to start right away to form a coalition government with the official opposition party thus avoiding elections and showing a united front to the people lending us the money. The problem again is that the leader of the OOP said he would be willing to form a consensus government then, after the PM's speech last night, took back what he said and removed his party from the parliament session. Apparently he felt that the PM was trying to trick him into saying that he would vote for Greece taking the economic measures needed to ensure this 6th money packet that is being offered, so that he couldn't criticize the government afterwards for taking the strict steps necessary for us to get the money. This because the PM in his speech earlier, had not mentioned forming a consensus government now but instead, gave the impression that he wants the agreement from the opposition party to the measures, but will continue to govern with just his party, as he does now. Anyway, sorry for being so long-winded about this but it's a pile of shite right now and dawg only knows what tomorrow will bring. And if that wasn't bad enough, the leader of the one communist party gave a news conference yesterday calling for the people to continue their protests and strikes as a way to demand their rights and to demand no further wage cuts and/or a reduction in the number of civil servants that we have. A fecking mess is what it is.:upset:
        For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
        AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

Greece and the G20 summit is all over the news here, stirly. You're right, it's a fecking mess. At least we're now getting to the point where the policy makers are finally waking up to the fact that time is running out and they have to make urgent decisions.

Comment

Hi molly

Good to hear you are having a nice afternoon. Hope the bridge building/fence mending is going well.

I''d never heard the "parsons egg" expression before. Had to google it. Actually, I learn so much by coming here every day, and I'm not talking about alcohol.

Comment

Recluse;1203308 wrote: Greece and the G20 summit is all over the news here, stirly. You're right, it's a fecking mess. At least we're now getting to the point where the policy makers are finally waking up to the fact that time is running out and they have to make urgent decisions.
              Apparently up until now, at the G20 summit, Greece is what they've talked about mostly. My impression is that if we go down, there will be a domino effect on other countries in the Euro Zone and they're having fits about that possibility. And you think that's the obvious outcome. If not now, then in the near future. Except if they do what you suggested and we go for devalued drachma and default on all our debts. I asked yesterday but didn't get a reply - what would happen to the country then? Would foreign companies invest money here? We've already lost large companies to Romania and Bulgaria and other nearby countries because labour, etc. is cheaper. It's really frightening to think about it.

Comment

Sorry for being so rude and ignoring the rest of you. I'm a wee bit upset to say the least. I've never felt before that our future was uncertain. Not even when we moved to Greece with limited savings, no jobs and two small kids. And as I said yesterday, it's not Mr. Stirly and I that I'm worried about. It's our kids. Everyone's kids who are in the process of or trying to make a career for themselves or who have started a family and are uncertain if they'll still have a job in the next few months. And others who have taken out loans to buy their houses based on the salaries that they were making and now have endured pay cuts or their business slowing down and are in danger of losing their homes.
                tiptronic_ct;1203289 wrote: Feck. The guy is getting rich off MWO... His name is cropping up all over the place.

Hiya Dark Orchid One & WreccieBear :wavin: Mr. Tips. Hope you have a lovely time tonight.
                anon;1203290 wrote: Hi wrecky and Stirly
                I have read the Vale book and thought it was brilliant even though the person who started the thread about the benefit of the book is drinking again:hallo: Mrs. A. I have read that thread but didn't know that that member is drinking again. He/she seemed so very certain that they'd put AL behind them. I guess it's that complacency thing that is mentioned often here. Will have a peek at it later. Lovely that you're going to see your daughter.:l
                Recluse;1203291 wrote: If someone was to go and compile a selection of all the best posts and advice from MWO, I reckon they'd have the makings of a pretty good book.Oh, wouldn't they tho'!!
                JackieClaire;1203292 wrote:
                Yooooooo hoooooo Stirls,

If you're all wondering what I'm doing awake at this hour. I'm waiting for the plumber to ring. I have a feeling I may be still sitting here come Monday.

Well you know Tippers, I read Dr A's book but I was more interested in the anxiety he suffered rather than the science. So thought I'd have a look see at this one.
                Hewwo JackieClaire. That's shite about your washing machine. Good thing it's still under warranty. Hate waiting for people.
                anon;1203300 wrote:
                I am more likely to do the base jumping so you and he can drink the coffee
                Mrs. A - I saw a video of that a few days ago. It was quite scary since they flew just a few feet over their friends who were sitting there watching them at a lower ledge than they jumped off of. I think you'd have to be a bit mad to try something like that.
                mollyka;1203302 wrote:
                Afternoon Wrekkie Jacks Tips MrsA Stirlbirls! Just watched 'little fockers' now onto 'unstoppable' - jnr's midterm report came in -- touch of the parsons egg 'bout it, but could be a whole lot worse 'cept for German -- just as well most of them speak English
                Having a lovely lazy after. Daughter has booked her Canadian flights for 28/12, so will be nice to have her for Christmas. Hotpot nearly ready and all (nearly) is good in the world. The oul zip will get the last coupla lbs off Jacks!
                Actually, speaking of which, bought a digital weighing scales in FT this morn. it weighs me nearly half a stone heavier than my own ones ----- must be broken yeah
                Molly, glad to hear your daughter and her BF are going back to Canada. Have they gotten their visas and work permits sorted out then? I certainly hope so because it was really shite that they got sent home the last time.

As for the report cards, I always used to dread them. Mr. Stirly expected the boys to get straight A's and there were always B's and an occasional C as well. And he never hid his disappointment. Upsetting for all of us. I'm proud to say that they both went on to pass the entrance exams into nationally funded college and university.

Comment

stirly-girly;1203312 wrote: Apparently up until now, at the G20 summit, Greece is what they've talked about mostly. My impression is that if we go down, there will be a domino effect on other countries in the Euro Zone and they're having fits about that possibility. And you think that's the obvious outcome. If not now, then in the near future. Except if they do what you suggested and we go for devalued drachma and default on all our debts. I asked yesterday but didn't get a reply - what would happen to the country then? Would foreign companies invest money here? We've already lost large companies to Romania and Bulgaria and other nearby countries because labour, etc. is cheaper. It's really frightening to think about it.
                  Stirly, apologies for not replying to your post yesterday. I did read it but I was drinking and, as I've mentioned in the past, I don't like to do drunken posts.

If Greece goes down, the cost of borrowing by other heavily indebted countries in the eurozone will shoot up. Already, Italy's cost of borrowing is at levels that are probably unsustainable. It's entirely possible that a number of other countries will be forced to leave the eurozone and return to their former currencies and default on their debt. It's not completely out of the question that the entire eurozone could unravel. The problem is debt everywhere. It's either got to be written off or paid back. Most of the debt will have to be written off and that will result in a depression. Sorry to be so gloomy, but I believe that things are going to get a lot worse.

If Greece returns to a devalued drachma, that would make the cost of labour and land in Greece cheaper to foreign investors, so there would be less incentive for businesses to move to countries like Romania and Bulgaria. Greece might even get some new inward investment. But the devalued currency would also make the cost of imports to Greece more expensive, leading to higher prices, although a depression is normally deflationary. The other thing is that if Greece defaults on its debt, no-one will want to lend to Greece for the foreseeable future, so Greece would immediately have to balance its budget, ie there would have to be further austerity measures.

There is one bright side to all of this. If the depression is deflationary, the purchasing power of money will go up, so those with savings may do well out of this (as long as they don't keep their savings in Greek banks).

Comment

mollyka;1203313 wrote: Hey Reccie, yep the afternoon is nice and relaxing, daughter is very quiet and I'm just hoping there isn't another lecture looming, but I think she's just sad cos boyfriend is gone, and I know they are worried about me and hubs - nothing I can do about that, except the obvious obviously - which I'm grand with.
                    Stirly, I won't even pretend to understand the ins and outs of whats going on in Greece - it would appear to me that maybe Greece is just the obvious sore, that there is a whole heap of shite festering under the surface world wide waiting to ooze out. My thoughts are with you hun. I strongly feel the only reason that Ireland isn't being talked about in the same way is that Greece is just that bit worse and has eclipsed us in the media. Things are pretty dire here still I'm guessing, and it's bloody depressing. Anyway, chin up girl, these economic disasters in the past seemed to drift on and on and then suddenly - wippee woo, everything was wonderful again --- I don't think there is anything scientific about economics tbh - I truly believe it's just sentiment.
                    Oh dear, I don't know a lot about these things either Molly and to make it worse the fecking politicians speak their "wooden" language as they say here and being Greek is not my native language, I sometimes have a problem understanding exactly what they're talking about. Then the journalist start in and they get these debates going where no one agrees with what the others are saying and they all talk over each other and you can't either understand them or get any real information about what's going on. Hearsay abounds so you never know whether, in a closed meeting, the PM or some member of parliament actually said what others reported that they said. One of our biggest problems, and I've mentioned it a couple times lately, is that Greece is not anindustrial power. Our main industry is tourism and if they keep demonstrating and trashing the centre of Athens and strikes prevent tourists from debarking from the cruise ships in the main port of Peiraias or going up to the Acropolis or other ruins, or getting the subway to the airport to be on time for their flight home, they will simply not come back and not recommend to others to come to Greece. And travel packets will be offered for other countries such as Turkey and Croatia who have stunning beaches as well and lower prices and no strikes or demonstrations. Yes, there are other countries that are in deep doo-doos financially, such as Italy, but Italy is an industrial country and I think that makes a big difference. I'm sure Reccie or KTAB will straighten me out here if I've got it wrong. Please do guys. I really like to get your feed on things.

Comment

Recluse;1203320 wrote: Stirly, apologies for not replying to your post yesterday. I did read it but I was drinking and, as I've mentioned in the past, I don't like to do drunken posts.

If Greece goes down, the cost of borrowing by other heavily indebted countries in the eurozone will shoot up. Already, Italy's cost of borrowing is at levels that are probably unsustainable. It's entirely possible that a number of other countries will be forced to leave the eurozone and return to their former currencies and default on their debt. It's not completely out of the question that the entire eurozone could unravel. The problem is debt everywhere. It's either got to be written off or paid back. Most of the debt will have to be written off and that will result in a depression. Sorry to be so gloomy, but I believe that things are going to get a lot worse.

If Greece returns to a devalued drachma, that would make the cost of labour and land in Greece cheaper to foreign investors, so there would be less incentive for businesses to move to countries like Romania and Bulgaria. Greece might even get some new inward investment. But the devalued currency would also make the cost of imports to Greece more expensive, leading to higher prices, although a depression is normally deflationary. The other thing is that if Greece defaults on its debt, no-one will want to lend to Greece for the foreseeable future, so Greece would immediately have to balance its budget, ie there would have to be further austerity measures.

There is one bright side to all of this. If the depression is deflationary, the purchasing power of money will go up, so those with savings may do well out of this.
                      X-post Reccie and thank you so much for your insight. You have actually made me feel a bit better because you've explained things so well and I feel less muddled.
                      I understand about other countries not wanting to lend us money. That is perfectly logical. If the Euro Zone does unravel, that means that most of the weaker economies like Greece's will have the same problem - getting loans from other countries and importing things at higher prices. Now that would affect us directly as we sell only imported products in our business. Mind you most of our competition is from imported products as well so they would face the same problem. The thing is tho' if further austerity measures were introduced, I don't know if any of us would be able to sell our pricey products. Mr. Stirly will be retiring in a couple of years, he could have already. So we'll be living off of his pension and our savings. As I've said before, it's the younger generations I'm worried about. Younger son is doing well where he's been working since Easter. However, his company works exclusively with imported goods as well.
                      Anyway, thank you so much for taking the time to explain thing to me. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

And my apologies to all of you for hogging the thread tonight with my big posts.

Comment

stirly-girly;1203323 wrote: Oh dear, I don't know a lot about these things either Molly and to make it worse the fecking politicians speak their "wooden" language as they say here and being Greek is not my native language, I sometimes have a problem understanding exactly what they're talking about. Then the journalist start in and they get these debates going where no one agrees with what the others are saying and they all talk over each other and you can't either understand them or get any real information about what's going on. Hearsay abounds so you never know whether, in a closed meeting, the PM or some member of parliament actually said what others reported that they said. One of our biggest problems, and I've mentioned it a couple times lately, is that Greece is not anindustrial power. Our main industry is tourism and if they keep demonstrating and trashing the centre of Athens and strikes prevent tourists from debarking from the cruise ships in the main port of Peiraias or going up to the Acropolis or other ruins, or getting the subway to the airport to be on time for their flight home, they will simply not come back and not recommend to others to come to Greece. And travel packets will be offered for other countries such as Turkey and Croatia who have stunning beaches as well and lower prices and no strikes or demonstrations. Yes, there are other countries that are in deep doo-doos financially, such as Italy, but Italy is an industrial country and I think that makes a big difference. I'm sure Reccie or KTAB will straighten me out here if I've got it wrong. Please do guys. I really like to get your feed on things.
                        That's a fair comment about the strikes putting tourists off, stirly, but the strikes can't go on forever (can they???). In the long run a devalued currency would make it cheaper for foreign tourists to come to Greece, which will help the Greek economy. I remember island hopping In Greece about 25 years ago and I was stunned at how cheap it was to get a room to stay in.

Comment

I reckon we've frightened everyone off, stirly! :H

Comment

I wus on the phone.
                            It could be worse, I could be filing.
                            AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

just checking in on Zen......
                              how's she doing??
                              I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                              Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Not heard a whisper from her all day, mama. Hello, BTW!

Comment

Working...
                                X