Finally found my Vanity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally found my Vanity

Ok. So you sober up and realize after the physical pain eases you look like s@#t. You had come to not care if you wore your ratty pj's for 24 hours a day - both in the house and while running your daily booze/grocery runs.

You decided that a haircut was a luxury not needed with precious dollars that could be used for wine. A sloppy ponytail looked great. Or even better, after a few or many drinks, I would cut and color my own hair!!!! My husband would come home and ask when a calico kitty decided to nap on my head.

You began to think the extra 30 lbs. of bloat were acceptable and left over from childbearing. Plus, the more bloat on your face the fewer wrinkles - so you really looked younger without buying those expensive eye creams!

And when you decided that elastic waist pants were in fashion with any long top. My waist (which was non existent) had not seen a belt in years!!!

AHHHHH. Now that I have cleaned up and am taking great pains to revitalize myself people are bowled over at my appearance (in a good way). I must have really been a looker before!!!!:H
    February 4, 2011 - My AF life began

"My young children thank me for not drinking....what other motivation do I need?"

Finally found my Vanity

:H:H:H

I'm not exactly a snappy dresser but I cringe to think of some of the ratty old stuff I used to wear to work.

Congratulations on your fabulous new look!
    sigpic
    AF since December 22nd 2008
    Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Finally found my Vanity

MFW, Love your post. I think I can relate to every single one of the the items on your list. Except for the fact that I discovered that yoga pants can be a great substitute for pajama pants and can also be worn on my errands. With yoga pants I can at least fool myself that people may think that I am a busy active woman just running errands after my daily yoga class. Ha!

I am also trying to lose the extra 30 pounds of fat that I justified as normal after having children ( 16 years ago) and aging. I also would think nothing of shelling out money at the liquor store weekly, but paying for a haircut and highlight would really piss me off.

I posted elsewhere that I have resumed an evening cleansing and teeth brushing/flossing routine that I have neglected in lieu of passing out on my bed at 8:30pm (in my t-shirt and trusty yoga pants). I am new to this, but already have received 2 comments on my weight going down and I have a hairdresser's appointment next week.

Comment

Finally found my Vanity

LFP - you are off to a great start. I pretty much refused to have my picture taken for 5 years so there are not too many permanent reminders of what I looked like.

It is a slow process - I try to wear a bit of makeup when I leave the house now.

I can relate to the passing out in the t-shirt and yoga pants and then wearing them the entire next day. Good Lord. I am shocked no one committed me earlier. In 9 months I have lost almost 25 pounds. But the bloat is gone which is the best - even had to give all my shoes away as my feet are not as swollen as they use to be. That is just not right!
        February 4, 2011 - My AF life began

"My young children thank me for not drinking....what other motivation do I need?"

Comment

Finally found my Vanity

I can so identify with you My Free Will and Looking For Peace! I always hated the way I looked the night after drinking a bottle and a half of wine. Bloated, God yes. My face was puffy as was my belly. Eyes sore and red. Skin grey and dull. Yoga pants are a godsend. I usually drop about 5-7 lbs right off the bat the first week or 2 that I stop drinking. From all the water retention from AL plus all those empty calories from the wine. I stopped 3 days ago and I had already lost a pound this morning. I notice that my middle section definitely trims down when I am not drinking and even though I do sit ups everyday, when I drink wine it's no use...it' always accumulates there! So, that is even more motivation to stop. Great post!
          Whatever you invest in the circle of LIFE is what comes back to you. Multiplied. What you give to people is what they eventually give back to you. Don't do the math. Just increase your LOVE.

BE HAPPY...BE CONNECTED...BE HEALTHY!
          :h

Comment

Working...
          X