Gearing Up for a Sober Christmas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since I have invited half the world to my family's Christmas Eve I have even more reason to be sober at that time. While swilling wine at a girlfriend's home last night, I felt sloppily sorry for those with no plans for Christmas Eve and invited them all to share the celebration with myself and my family. I have 13 immediate relatives gathering in my 700 square foot home (cottage) and now I am expecting about six more. Yikes. That decision was fun to wake up to at four in the morning when worrying is at it's peak.

The following quote by FlyAway as a response to Caper's thread about being worried about whether to drink or not at Christmas really resonated with me. FlyAway said:

"I would like to suggest that you try to do it sober. There will always be booze around another day. It's not like it's going anywhere! And I'm sure you've had drinks at Christmas before. So you know what that's like. Why not try a sober Christmas and see how you feel the next day? It's a lot easier to be a good host/hostess when you're sober. You can make sure everyone else has a fabulous time and stay on track and feel good about yourself the day after."

Thanks to FlyAway's wise words and my impulsive behaviour along with my original plan to be sober at Christmas, I am confident that will be the case. Luckily for me, my job allows me to be at home next week to cook up a huge quantity of food to serve so I will now accept that Christmas is going to be hectic, crazy and SOBER.
    Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
    ? Lao-Tzu

Tipps, I know in your heart that you want to be sober. C'mon, let's just DO IT! You can, I know. In the not-too-distant future, you will be so proud of yourself. Remember, as you get some time under your belt you will stop missing alcohol. Keep that in mind so you can resist the short-term temptations!

Sending you peace and strength.

Comment

You CAN do it Tipps.

A sober, wonderful, eye opening, clearheaded, amazing Christmas!!
      "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
      NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Thanks you two Sober Sisters! I really want this. I had no intention of drinking last night but here's the excuse I pathetically allowed myself to use. I am English and live in a French area of Canada. I have met some great friends through my hubby who is French but many of them don't speak English. My French is hugely improved with a glass (or 2) of red wine. I arrived with no intention of drinking but started feeling left out as the conversation was swirling around in French... so the third time I was offered wine, I said "Oui". Before long, as usual, I was chattering away in French and the life of the party. I really miss my English friends; they live across the river in Ontario and it seems our social life revolves around our neighbors and friends on this side of the river. 5 minute drive as opposed to 45 minute drive.

I have to learn to socialize in French without needing a drink. Or I have to find another group of English friends... don't know the answer ... all I know is that at 4:00 a.m. this morning, it wasn't funny.
        Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

? Lao-Tzu

Comment

As my mother would say I have to either "Sh.t or get off the pot!!" I never seem to get off the pot (obsessing over my drinking) so I guess I am going to have to 'sh.t' (quit). Having said that I am now going over the the Monthly Abstinence forum and looking at the Toolbox for the very first time since I joined. How is that for procrastination?

This mind is made up.
          Tipplerette

? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Tipps, one recurrent theme I see in all of your posts is the huge amount of socializing you do. I know it's healthy to have friends, but could you give yourself 30 days to lay low? I think it would really help you get started on being AF. Just sayin..........

Comment

You can do it Tipp! I don't miss alcohol or its effects at all. Staying sober this Christmas. Last year I got wasted on Christmas eve and had a bad hangover Christmas day. Heck, I drank so much on Christmas Eve that I fell at the bar, and then at home and it took me a couple of minutes to get up. Then while I was peeing, I puked all over myself. My mom was not happy (she does the laundry). Glad that those days are over.
              I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

I am definitely having a sober Christmas. I am cooking and hosting for probably around 12 people.

Comment

DriftyAlison0;1227511 wrote: You can do it Tipp! I don't miss alcohol or its effects at all. Staying sober this Christmas. Last year I got wasted on Christmas eve and had a bad hangover Christmas day. Heck, I drank so much on Christmas Eve that I fell at the bar, and then at home and it took me a couple of minutes to get up. Then while I was peeing, I puked all over myself. My mom was not happy (she does the laundry). Glad that those days are over.
                  That is quite the story! I sure don't miss the falls and forgetting how I fell and blaming the poor cat. Ugh!

Comment

You are so right Unwasted. As I type this, I have six people in my cottage kitchen/living room.. We are making tortieres which is a traditional French Canadian meat or salmon pie we eat at Christmas. We made 35 pies. We just sampled them and are drinking tea except for hubby's son who is sipping on Frangelica.

I think we socialize too much and it usually involves booze. We have established ourselves as Party Central. I have pondered that issue as it is the key to my drinking obsession/overdoing it, etc.

When I first started on this site, I ordered the book, bought the tapes and the supplements, I followed the suggested MWO regime with varying degrees of success.

Now, in the past year or two when I manage to stop for a while it's been cold turkey with no tools. So I think this time I should re-incorporate the tools that are at my disposal.

Thanks, MWO Friends for Listening...
                    Tipplerette

? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Working...
                    X