Army Thread Thursday 22nd December

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Until recently, all children with ear infections were given antibiotics. New research suggests that many children with ear infections will get better without antibiotics, and with no ill effects. This is called the �observation option.� This option reduces the use of unnecessary antibiotics, and limits the child�s exposure to the side effects of antibiotics. It also reduces the chance that �super bacteria� � bacteria that cannot be killed by antibiotics � will develop.

Your child�s health caregiver may offer this option if your child is over age 2, does not have pus draining from the ear, has not had an ear infection in more than three months, is otherwise healthy, and will have medical follow-up within 48 hours. If your health caregiver does not discuss it, you may want to ask if this is an option for your child.

A child who is seen in an emergency room or urgent care center may be given an antibiotic if the health caregiver is concerned that the child will not see his or her own health caregiver within 48 hours.

It is important that you allow the caregiver to decide if the observation option will be used. If, on the other hand, antibiotics are needed, you should trust him or her to select the proper medication and course of treatment. A parent should not insist on choosing the antibiotic.

If an antibiotic is prescribed, it will likely be AMOXICILLIN, unless the child is allergic to penicillin. Depending on the situation, the provider may decide that the child should take the antibiotic for five days instead of the usual 10 days. This should be the decision of the health caregiver. If the treatment doesn�t work, more antibiotics may be needed.

Of course, differences in children, and the severity of the illness, may change these choices.

Remember, a single dose of an antibiotic will not make the ear infection feel better! In fact, the antibiotic will not relieve the symptoms. Ear pain from an infection should be treated with a non-aspirin pain reliever.

Even if your child appears better, make sure that your child takes all the antibiotics prescribed by your health caregiver.
    "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
    NF 12th May 2010

Comment

pingu1997;1230767 wrote: special birthday?

some of us have already been there, it's just another number really
      I just cannot see it like that

Dreading it!

AF 10th May 2010
      NF 12th May 2010

Comment

one2many;1230773 wrote: I just cannot see it like that

Dreading it!
        awwwww

I drank my way through my 40th tbh but now I am 41 I don't worry about birthdays any more

just use it as an excuse to get lots of nice presents?!?
        I have a drink problem, I have been AF since 15 March 2011 and I am working hard to stay that way

They don't call me Pingu Purple Pants for nothing....

Comment

one2many;1230773 wrote: I just cannot see it like that

Dreading it!
          What is it about 40 that you are dreading? Yes take Mia to be checked out Amoxil is magic.

Funny nights sleep but awoke in a calm house with only one sick person and that is Mr A.

Molly never ever apologise about complaining.:l You have have been a shining light on this thread:thanks:

Oney my birthday is after Christmas and I will be 65 and that puts me into another category for running So may win more money. I still feel 18 and at times act like it. Enjoy 40 it is the new 20:welcome:

Comment

Awwhhhh Tigger is so pretty!!!

Anon, what a relief and may I say, i think you are a real tooper for the past few horrible days you have had, fait play to you for doing it sober, you should be very very proud of yourself, I am!

Still hate being 40

AF 10th May 2010
            NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Good morning Tippers, Starters, Expatty, Marioooooooo, Mollers, Pingu, Oney, Whizzy and all those yet to drop by

I loved getting to 40. Suddenly I felt like a grown up at last.

Mind you these days with not drinking I feel about 22 and frisky
              It could be worse, I could be filing.
              AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

JackieClaire;1230779 wrote: Good morning Tippers, Starters, Expatty, Marioooooooo, Mollers, Pingu, Oney, Whizzy and all those yet to drop by

I loved getting to 40. Suddenly I felt like a grown up at last.

Mind you these days with not drinking I feel about 22 and frisky
                Jaysus what am I doing wrong lol??? I look in the mirror and see a middle aged woman

AF 10th May 2010
                NF 12th May 2010

Comment

oops sorry forgot to say

AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Awwhh Jacks, he will love that, thank you hon xxxx

AF 10th May 2010
                    NF 12th May 2010

Comment

one2many;1230780 wrote: Jaysus what am I doing wrong lol??? I look in the mirror and see a middle aged woman
                      No way do you look like a middle aged woman.

I suppose I had my Granny to follow. She's always been a bundle of energy and really only started slowing down in her late 80's.
                      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Good Morning Army!!

Just a quick fly-by from me. Still up to my ears in preparations and house-cleaning for Christmas.

Oney - first, I hope they will give antibiotics to Mia. The thing is that if she has ear infection it can spread to the optic nerve and damage it. What Mrs. A said about Amoxil and she has to take the whole dose or the infection could return. Can you not buy Amoxil from the pharmacy without a prescription? I can understand why they don't want to give kids antibiotics but she's been sick for days now and it sounds like she needs something to help clear things up. Best of luck.

And for the birthday boy -

:wavin: to all of you. Hope you all have the best day possible in spite of any embuggerances. Laters....
                        For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
                        AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

My poor little girl.

She has tonsillitis, swollen glands, and a double ear infection and bronchitis, she is in a bad way. The doctor said she has never seen a child so good and not crying and in good form. She said she must have been feeling dreadful, she honestly never moaned at home at all, if she had been crying or in pain I would have brought her long before now. So glad I brought her, she got antibiotics and hopefully will be feeling better for Christmas.

AF 10th May 2010
                          NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Poor thing....

Sitting waiting for stupid chipmunks film to start. the things we do for our kids........
                            I have a drink problem, I have been AF since 15 March 2011 and I am working hard to stay that way

They don't call me Pingu Purple Pants for nothing....

Comment

one2many;1230799 wrote: My poor little girl.

She has tonsillitis, swollen glands, and a double ear infection and bronchitis, she is in a bad way. The doctor said she has never seen a child so good and not crying and in good form. She said she must have been feeling dreadful, she honestly never moaned at home at all, if she had been crying or in pain I would have brought her long before now. So glad I brought her, she got antibiotics and hopefully will be feeling better for Christmas.
                              Ah poor little girl.:l She should be ok for Christmas.

Shopping etc done. Just got to wrap presents.

No christmas cards sent but I am sure friends will understand.

All sickies here on the mend:goodjob:

Comment

Good afternoon army

one2many;1230799 wrote: My poor little girl.

It's amazing mia was able to smile at all in your piglet photos oney. She must be a very tough little girl. Let's hope those antibiotics work quickly.

anon;1230815 wrote:
                                All sickies here on the mend:goodjob:
                                That's great Mrs A . Hopefully you'll now be able to enjoy Christmas.

Comment

Working...
                                X