Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diet and alcohol

Hello everyone
    I was doing some research on the net about diet and its effects on cravings and thought I would share. And Lusch, I DO work by the way :H !!!

Dietary changes that may be helpful
    Diet can have effects on cravings for alcohol and the effects of withdrawal.

In one trial, a hospital diet was compared with a special diet including fruit and wheat germ and excluding caffeinated coffee, junk food, dairy products, and peanut butter.1 After six months, fewer than 38% of those on the hospital diet remained sober, compared with over 81% of those eating the special diet. A review of the research shows that diets loaded with junk food increase alcohol intake in animals.2 In a human trial, restricting sugar, increasing complex carbohydrates, and eliminating caffeine also led to a reduction in alcohol craving.3 While the support for dietary intervention remains somewhat unclear, some doctors suggest that alcoholics reduce sugar and junk food intake and avoid caffeine.

Vitamins that may be helpful
    Many alcoholics are deficient in B vitamins, including vitamin B3. John Cleary, M.D., observed that some alcoholics spontaneously stopped drinking in association with taking niacin supplements (niacin is a form of vitamin B3). Cleary concluded that alcoholism might be a manifestation of niacin deficiency in some people and recommended that alcoholics consider supplementation with 500 mg of niacin per day.4 Without specifying the amount of niacin used, Cleary?s preliminary research findings suggested that niacin supplementation helped wean some alcoholics away from alcohol.5 Activated vitamin B3 used intravenously has also helped alcoholics quit drinking.6 Niacinamide?a safer form of the same vitamin?might have similar actions and has been reported to improve alcohol metabolism in animals.7

Deficiencies of other B-complex vitamins are common with chronic alcohol use.8 The situation is exacerbated by the fact that alcoholics have an increased need for B vitamins.9 It is possible that successful treatment of B-complex vitamin deficiencies may actually reduce alcohol cravings, because animals crave alcohol when fed a B-complex-deficient diet.10 Many doctors recommend 100 mg of B-complex vitamins per day.

Alcoholics may be deficient in a substance called prostaglandin E1 (PGE1) and in gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), a precursor to PGE1.11 In a double-blind study of alcoholics who were in a detoxification program, supplementation with 4 grams per day of evening primrose oil (containing 360 mg of GLA) led to greater improvement than did placebo in some, but not all, parameters of liver function.12

The daily combination of 3 grams of vitamin C, 3 grams of niacin, 600 mg of vitamin B6, and 600 IU of vitamin E has been used by researchers from the University of Mississippi Medical Center in an attempt to reduce anxiety and depression in alcoholics.13 Although the effect of vitamin supplementation was no better than placebo in treating alcohol-associated depression, the vitamins did result in a significant drop in anxiety within three weeks of use. Because of possible side effects, anyone taking such high amounts of niacin and vitamin B6 must do so only under the care of a doctor.

Although the incidence of B-complex deficiencies is known to be high in alcoholics, the incidence of other vitamin deficiencies remains less clear.14 Nonetheless, deficiencies of vitamin A, vitamin D, vitamin E, and vitamin C are seen in many alcoholics. While some reports have suggested it may be safer for alcoholics to supplement with beta-carotene instead of vitamin A,15 potential problems accompany the use of either vitamin A or beta-carotene in correcting the deficiency induced by alcoholism.16 These problems result in part because the combinations of alcohol and vitamin A or alcohol and beta-carotene appear to increase potential damage to the liver. Thus, vitamin A-depleted alcoholics require a doctor?s intervention, including supplementation with vitamin A and beta-carotene accompanied by assessment of liver function. Supplementing with vitamin C, on the other hand, appears to help the body rid itself of alcohol.17 Some doctors recommend 1 to 3 grams per day of vitamin C.

Kenneth Blum and researchers at the University of Texas have examined neurotransmitter deficiencies in alcoholics. Neurotransmitters are the chemicals the body makes to allow nerve cells to pass messages (of pain, touch, thought, etc.) from cell to cell. Amino acids are the precursors of these neurotransmitters. In double-blind research, a group of alcoholics were treated with 1.5 grams of D,L-phenylalanine (DLPA), 900 mg of L-tyrosine, 300 mg of L-glutamine, and 400 mg of L-tryptophan (now available only by prescription) per day, plus a multivitamin-mineral supplement.18 This nutritional supplement regimen led to a significant reduction in withdrawal symptoms and decreased stress in alcoholics compared to the effects of placebo.

The amino acid, L-glutamine, has also been used as an isolated supplement. Animal research has shown that glutamine supplementation reduces alcohol intake, a finding that has been confirmed in double-blind human research.19 In that trial, 1 gram of glutamine per day given in divided portions with meals decreased both the desire to drink and anxiety levels.

Alcoholics are sometimes deficient in magnesium, and some researchers believe that symptoms of withdrawal may result in part from this deficiency.20 Nonetheless, a double-blind trial reported that magnesium injections did not reduce symptoms of alcohol withdrawal.21

Because of the multiple nutrient deficiencies associated with alcoholism, most alcoholics who quit drinking should supplement with a high-potency multivitamin-mineral for at least several months after the detoxification period. Whether or not the supplement should include iron should be discussed with a doctor.

Are there any side effects or interactions?
    Refer to the individual supplement for information about any side effects or interactions.

Herbs that may be helpful
    Milk thistle extract is commonly recommended to counteract the harmful effects of alcohol on the liver.22 Milk thistle extracts have been shown in one double-blind study to reduce death due to alcohol-induced cirrhosis of the liver,23 though another double-blind study did not confirm this finding.24 Milk thistle extract may protect the cells of the liver by both blocking the entrance of harmful toxins and helping remove these toxins from the liver cells.25 26 Milk thistle has also been reported to regenerate injured liver cells.27

Kudzu is most famous as a quick-growing weed in the southern United States. Alcoholic hamsters (one of the few animals to become so besides humans) were found to have decreased interest in drinking when fed kudzu extract.28 Traditional Chinese medicine practitioners generally recommend 3 to 5 grams of root three times per day; some herbal practitioners also suggest that 3 to 4 ml of tincture taken three times per day may also be helpful to reduce alcohol cravings. Nonetheless, a double-blind trial using 1.2 grams of powdered kudzu root twice per day failed to show any benefit in helping alcoholics remain abstinent from alcohol.29 On the other hand, supplementing with a kudzu extract (1,000 mg three times a day for seven days) significantly reduced the amount of beer consumed by heavy alcohol drinkers in a short-term experiment.30

:h
    Over 4 months AF :h

Diet and alcohol

Hi Jenneh

My Name is Lindsay I am a 39 year old male. I wanted to find a Doctor here in Toronto That Knows about The Program. One of the other people on the forum wrote back to me and said you might be able to help me. I hope you can. I personally do not feel comfortable with my current doctor, I feel he will opt not to prescribe the meds needed.

I would like to start the program ASAP , If you can help please let me know.

Many Thanks

Comment

Diet and alcohol

help with med

:thanks: Hi Jenneh

My Name is Lindsay I am a 39 year old male. I wanted to find a Doctor here in Toronto That Knows about The Program. One of the other people on the forum wrote back to me and said you might be able to help me. I hope you can. I personally do not feel comfortable with my current doctor, I feel he will opt not to prescribe the meds needed.

I would like to start the program ASAP , If you can help please let me know.

Many Thanks

Comment

Diet and alcohol

Hi Lindsay
        I will pm you.
        Jen.

Comment

Diet and alcohol

Hi Jenneh,
          Thanks for your extensive research and for taking the trouble to share it with us. I just wanted to mention that I have been on a supplement of 500 mg of Niacin for a number of years. This is taken in order to lower my blood cholesterol level and I have certainly not felt that it had lowered my cravings for that nightly drink(s). However, that does not mean it would not do this for someone else.
          Thank you buckets,
          Lori
          *Definition of Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result* Albert Einstein

Comment

Diet and alcohol

Lori, I am disappointed to hear that as I am reading a book that also recommends niacin to help with cravings......phooey!!!

Jen, sounds like you are getting as much work done today as me, which is nothing!!!! Thanks for posting it. Sounds very similar to this program.
            I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Diet and alcohol

Does anyone else dread taking that All One powder? It is truly vile - and whatever you do make sure you wash it out afterwards!

Comment

Diet and alcohol

Lusch
                Dont be disappointed. I am going to get some niacin right away. Anything that helps right?
                Did you say you have tried SAMe? From this site? Its really good. I remember that from when I was actually taking it...which I have slacked on....why do we let ourselves slack on teh supps and things that are good for us (I mean how much effort does it take to open up and swallow some supps??) yet we have no problem downing that alcohol at first chance/
                ugh.
                Jen

Comment

Diet and alcohol

I was just thinking that same thing about the supps but I have been good this week. I have not tried the SAMe but am taking the Gaba at night and so far it seems to be helping with sleeping I think. Plus it is supposed to make you look more youthful. I swear I looked five years younger this morning!!!! (Hardly). Let me know about the niacin Jen.

Owly the All One is not bad if you put it in a jar with your juice of choice and an ice cube and then shake real hard. Swallow it fast. Or better yet is to put it in a smoothie in the blender. Can't taste it at all.

Comment

Diet and alcohol

thanks Jenneh...most interesting. correct me if I'm wrong but inositol powder is a no-rush form of niacin? at any rate it's prescribed for treatment of depression and other mental disorders and been recommended by a number of sources I've read up on for alcoholism. I take a mix of l-glutamine powder and inositol at night. it has a calming effect normally for me. I'll get a little bit if a tingle but nothing like taking too much straight nacin....heat wave!
                    nosce te ipsum
                    (Know Thyself)

Comment

Diet and alcohol

Really determinator? I was thinking of taking 500 mg of niacin a day - does it really give you heat waves? Is it unpleasant?

Comment

Diet and alcohol

one thing I've noticed for sure in myself is that there is a nasty relationship between crappy diet and overdrinking. conversly (and fortunately) the opposite is true and when I'm eating well, exercising I tend to drink less. when I'm a drunk moron I find myself eating sweets and lots of fatty and hi-carb snack food instead of real food. so the moral of the story: good things are symbiotic just as bad...it's up to us.
                        nosce te ipsum
                        (Know Thyself)

Comment

Diet and alcohol

don't do it Jenneh! you'll not enjoy the feeling of being in a microwave oven...been there, ow! you can work up to it slowly or better yet take a product called "no rush niacin". I'll consult my book tonight and see if inositol does the same thing which would be great as it's cheap in bulk form.
                          nosce te ipsum
                          (Know Thyself)

Comment

Diet and alcohol

Yes, determinator I would love to know that. Niacin does have that horrible side effect. Lori, does it still do that to you after taking it for so long?

Comment

Diet and alcohol

Everybody, hoooooooooooold your horses.
                              There are two kinds of niacin. I have taken both. The regular niacin makes you feel like somebody has just poored gasoline over your head and you start igniting from the head down right into your pinky toenail. You start to palpitate and your heart races, because you think that you are having a heart attack. They rushed me to my Dr. who assured me that it will wear off by night fall. Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssstly experience.

The good kind is called "flushless niacin" and don't you forget it. Oh, how could I not have told you that. Sorry. I have taken the stuff for more than 3 years and it certainly did piss all to lower my cravings. Sorry.
                              Lori
                              *Definition of Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result* Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X