Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nightmares and withdrawal/less alcohol

Hi all
    I have been talking/chatting to a few people who are experiencing bad nightmares. These are especially people who are going "abs" after drinking for a while (ex over new years etc which I know a lot of us did :eeks: )
    Anyways, here is some info I found. I am in a researching mood lately!
    Love all
    Jen

There are a number of changes the body goes through when a person suddenly stops drinking after prolonged and heavy alcohol use. Symptoms include trembling (shakes), insomnia, nightmares, anxiety and other physical and mental symptoms.

Symptoms of withdrawal or reduced use

If your brain has adjusted to your heavy drinking habits, it takes time for your brain to adjust back. Alcohol withdrawal symptoms occur in a predictable pattern after your last alcohol drink. Not all symptoms develop in all patients:

Tremors (shakes) — These usually begin within 5 to 10 hours after the last alcohol drink and typically peak at 24 to 48 hours. Along with tremors (trembling), you can have a rapid pulse, an increase in blood pressure, rapid breathing, sweating, nausea and vomiting, and anxiety.

Irritability/Nighmares and Vivid Dreams - These also tend to begin within 5 to 10 hours after the last drink and peak at 24 to 48 hours. Insomnia is also common.

Alcohol withdrawal is easy to diagnose if you have typical symptoms that occur after you stop heavy, habitual drinking. If you have a past experience of withdrawal symptoms, you are likely to have them return if you start and stop heavy drinking again. There are no specific tests that can be used to diagnose alcohol withdrawal.

If you have withdrawal symptoms from drinking, then you have consumed enough alcohol to damage other organs. It is a good idea for your doctor to examine you carefully and do blood tests, checking for alcohol-related damage to your liver, heart, the nerves in your feet, blood cell counts, and gastrointestinal tract. Your doctor will evaluate your usual diet and check for vitamin deficiencies because poor nutrition is common when someone is dependent on alcohol.

It is usually difficult for people who drink to be completely honest about how much they've been drinking. You should report your drinking history straightforwardly to your doctor so you can be treated safely for withdrawal symptoms.

Expected Duration

Symptoms of alcohol withdrawal typically improve within five days.
    Over 4 months AF :h

thanks for that Jenneh, i've been having nightmares and insomnia, seems to have settled down, was fine last night xx

Comment

Hey Jenneh,

Thanks for the informative post. Was interested in the nerves in feet bit. I have always (during my heavy drinking time and still do) have frozen feet. No amount of rubbing, sock coverage etc seems to keep them warm for very long. Do you know anything else about that particular thing?

Amelia
      Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

Thanks Jenneh for your labour of love. I am in the insomnia stage right now. I hope it will get better, as I need my wits about me to keep functioning.
        Thanks Lori
        *Definition of Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result* Albert Einstein

Comment

Funny I am sleeping great when AF, and my dreams are much less vivid when sober. What the hell does that say about me???????
          I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

I am sleeping better too. I did have a little headache yesterday and this morning but its gone now.

Comment

Lusch it just means you are "unique" and we like that.

Amelia - I too, when hung over, would find my feet would be tingly and/or feel frozen. This would sometimes make me panic when driving. I would be afraid my feet might stop "working". Ha, what does that tell you about ME???
              I am going to look into this further Amelia.
              Jen
              Over 4 months AF :h

Comment

I do have nightmares after withdrawal but that is also when I have the most amazingly lucid and atmospheric dreams..

Comment

yes Lush and Owly, it's kind of morbid that my most amazing dreaming also takes place when I'm at my worst state. slept only an hour last night...mostly restless. when I did nod off I had an amazing dream that is impossibly complex to describe, but it would put any hollywood movie to shame for special effects! Valerian doesn't seem to do anything to help but I think my increased dose of L-glutamine and Inositol is helping (I'll post more on niacin and inositol on Jennehs other health thread).
                  nosce te ipsum
                  (Know Thyself)

Comment

Just put a post like this up today, having the most vivid and sometimes horrific dreams, been AF for 3 days now, sleeping like a baby but feel fuzzy headed and tired when i wake, glad to hear it doesn't last!

Comment

Working...
                    X