Need opinions from you guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a great thread, with great comments. I have to be totally honest, I was completely up in the air, as to is it start over, or is it a bump in the road.

After reading the posts, and contemplating the idea for a bit, I think I have to agree....think Mario said it best(although all had GREAT comments) your "counting" starts all over, but not the sobriety.

Just that much more motivation for all of us abbers, to keep the Devil juice at arms length.

Congrats on your 18 days Ann, and your decision to be true to yourself.........:goodjob:

Attached files [img]/converted_files/1772619=6929-attachment.jpg[/img]
    Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

I think we get to caught-up counting. Sober today...that is all that matters. The counting drove me nuts. I just stopped.
      Forever loved, forever missed Papa Bear

Comment

Hi Ann,

I had a similar issue, although my slip lasted about 2 months, although I only drank heavily for about 3 weeks. The difference in my sober time was 412 days which is what I count, or 587 days which I still consider the first time I made a true effort to quit for good. Although I know the dates, I don't keep track of the time anymore, I found a "sober time" calculator and it will process the numbers for me.

That being said I know I am staying sober for good now, so my need to look at passed time only serves as a smaller reminder that I am on the right path. I counted hard in the beginning, and when I did, before I changed my mindset it was like counting down a prison sentence to eternity. I'm really not sure of the purpose of keeping track, because if you want to drink it makes you feel like you are depriving yourself which again is like counting out prison time, and if you don't want to drink anymore, you really don't care about the time because you probably aren't going to drink again.

The AA chip system seems strange to me, because it rewards you for doing something that either you really don't want to do, or something that you never want to do again.

Count it the way you feel comfortable, because in a few months or another year it won't really matter anyways, you will be happy and you won't really think about the time that has passed.

Comment

Thanks Super

For the sake of argument here I went back to the day 1 concept, which is fine. But in my mind I see a chunk of time, then a blip, then another chunk that grows longer every day.
          After several months it isn't going to matter and I'm not going to be so rigid about it.
          I make plans for every day,basically, and they don't include drinking or situations that involve drinking.
          I know I'm on the right path and I know I am strong. So it's all good.

Comment

Hi Ann,

The risk in not going back to day 1, like all have said, is that you may be less accountable and less honest with yourself - Which to me is a huge part of being an alcoholic, and where the downward spiral starts.

Your posts are so positive and full of hope for your recovery and a plan. You sound very strong and I think will be fine

Keep your headspace there and you will have so much to look foward to Best Wishes xx
            To see a world in a grain of sand
            And a heaven in a wildflower.
            Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
            And eternity in an hour.

Comment

And meant to say if it was me i wouldn't view it as a slip, but a lesson - and try to learn from it
              To see a world in a grain of sand
              And a heaven in a wildflower.
              Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
              And eternity in an hour.

Comment

Ann, I don't usually post anywhere but in the Newbie's Nest...I just want to say that I am so happy that after your slip, you got right back up and didn't make it the downward spiril I always did. My hat is off to you no matter how many days you have or had...days are just the way we keep score here, but in the grand scheme of life as long as AL doesn't control you every day, well, that's a good day in my book. I have great admiration for your strength. Byrdie
                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                Tool Box
                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Thanks Byrdie and Lost Soul. I'm glad too that it was a brief issue. Before I would have continued down that awful road.
                  Monday night and all is well.

Comment

Ann u r doimg well, u were an inspiration to me when i first joined MWO
                    I love people who make me laugh. I honestly think it's the thing I like most, to laugh. It cures a multitude of ills. It's probably the most important thing in a person.
                    Audrey Hepburn

Comment

Working...
                    X