Positive images for recovery.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have this daft tendency to watch/read inspirational stuff such as films or books about people prevailing over adversity. I read a book recently about some guys crossing the North Atlantic in an open boat, for instance. I normally end up kind of weeping and trying to galvanise myself into some greater willpower, LOL. However, I realised somewhere down the line that what I'm doing here is a typically addicted attempt to self-medicate my head with images of people who seem more heroic or 'better' than me. Bad idea, I thought. Then I started thinking about my own struggle. I realised that in a sense what I was doing was similar to those guys stuck out there in that hostile, dangerous place, trying to make it home. And I thought isn't that what all of us are doing? Aren't we all stuck somewhere, trying to make it back, fighting against the odds, getting knocked down, trying again... When you look at it that way, it's actually a pretty epic, heroic struggle. So, far from us being worthless addicts stuck in a futile hell of our own making, I can see us as quite heroic figures engaged in a struggle that most people never have to deal with.

Don't know about anyone else, but I find this idea quite valuable and life-affirming, and I suggest we all give a thought to our own fortitude and determination. Anyone who even tries to recover is a hero in my book, and those who make it are super-heroes who deserve medals. If anyone out there feels worthless or ashamed of themselves, please remember what it is you've been called upon to fight against, and how much guts and strength you've already shown just by trying, by being on this forum, by looking for a way through, by trying to deal with something so hard.

I'm giving myself a big pat on the back and some congratulations. Anyone else want to join in and love themselves a little?

Peace and respect to all of us. Our light is still shining up there.

Just thought I'd share some positive stuff.

YES.
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle.
    Plato

Comment

Working...
    X