??Do women become addicted faster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know women get the same effect as a man with 1/2 the alcohol intake, and I know that women metabilize alcohol differently than men, resulting in our internal organs being damaged more quickly, but does anyone know if we (women) become physically dependent more quickly?

I've noticed that women seem to have more of a struggle to stop once they've gotten into the habit. Even as far as weekend binges seems to go, I've read many posts where the couple has drank together, same habits, but the womens' lives are more profoundly effected than their counter parts, the ( not always but I have noticed a pattern) men can take it or leave it, and the women really struggle.

Kat

Yes

I think you are right
    Shas
    Just keep on swmming, just keep on swimming!

Comment

Hi Kat,
      It seems to me that I saw a TV documentary that substantiated that women do absorb alcohol in a different way and do become addicted faster than men. It has to do with the amount of fat cells we have in our bodies, versus a male body. Also, the alcohol is not metabolized as efficiently in females as in males and therefore women suffer more damage to internal organs faster than our male counterparts.
      Was that helpful?
      Lori
      *Definition of Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result* Albert Einstein

Comment

interesting. i did not know any of that.
        It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not.
        James Gordon, M.D.

Comment

I think women alcoholics experience more shame therefore continue self medicating. Men were always the drinkers. When you said alcoholic you would picture a bum and not a suburban housewife. I know how much shame & guilt I have carried! All the alcoholics I knew were men.

I also think that in this day and age women have more responsibilities then yrs ago therefore increasing stress levels. I noticed my girlfriend (who said she'd probably become an alcoholic if it weren't for her uptight husband) often has 3 glasses of wine a night to take the edge off of having a full time job & 4 kids. Before that she never drank.

just my 2 cents.
          :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X