Just Like a Swimming Pool.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I replied to a post the other day for someone who wanted to stop drinking but they were feeling apprehensive about it...
    I told them that now they had dipped their toe in the water, not to be afraid to jump in as there would be many hands waiting to catch them…Well that got me thinking, and I think there is a comparision to be made between all of us here at MWO and a busy day at the local swimming pool…So here goes….
    Pretend you are sitting high up in the viewing gallery and as you look down you can see everything…

Lets start at the shallow end, here you have the non-swimmer, the new ones, who are on their first or second visit….they stand there, scared to take their feet off the bottom, frightened to trust in themselves in case they can’t make it and end up drowning…..Some of them don’t realise the lifeguards will rush to help them in any emergency, they forget they can ask the more experienced swimmers for help at any time….For some its all too much as they look towards the deep end of the pool far away in the distance and think “ No I can’t do it, I’ll never be able to swim that far, I’ll be out of my depth “…Completely forgetting that those swimmers they can see in the distance, diving in, swimming and generally having a good time had once stood where they are now, consumed with the same feelings of fear and inadequacy…So some of them go home, never to return…

The ones who stay, a few of them may decide to sit on the side of the pool just long enough to gather their courage to perhaps have another go…And then a well meaning relative or friend may come up and give them a push into the water thinking they are helping…That never works, you have to decide for yourself when you are ready to get into the water and lift your feet off the bottom…So they opt out as well…

The last few who are left, who decided to give it a go, they are the ones who have the confidence to lift their feet, make the first few strokes…Sometimes they don’t quite get it right and disappear under the water for a few seconds, but they bob up again, coughing and spluttering….Another few give up at this stage because they think its getting too difficult and they will never make it…

Then we come to the ones who think its worth another try…They are the ones who realise they can’t do this properly on their own so they ask for and are given help….For some, it will be one to one swimming lessons, for others a pair of water wings or a float will do, but its only until they get used to swimming on their own and it becomes part of there normal routine…

Gradually as time goes on these novice swimmers can be seen swimming further and further down the pool, starting to gain confidence and a belief in themselves that their goal is attainable…Where they once thought “ This is too difficult, I’m going to fail “ they now look back at the shallow end and think “ Why was I so scared?, I can do this “…Then the magic, when they look forward and realise the deep end of the pool is almost within reach….

And then we come to the deep end, here people are diving in from the high board, doing back flips off the side, swimming across the pool underwater, filled with confidence not fear, knowing that what they are able to do now is achievable, with practice, by anyone….After all, don’t forget, they were once standing at the shallow end themselves, scared to take their feet off the bottom….

So if this is your first visit to this swimming pool, and you are standing in the shallow end, frightened and shivering, overwhelmed by it all, look down towards the deep end by all means, but don’t be intimidated by the distance you will have to swim to get there…Enjoy the shallow end, splash around, lift your feet off the bottom now and then, watch your confidence grow, and one day when you reach the deep end you will look back and be amazed at the distance you have travelled……

I have just re-read this and it made me realise the distance I have swum….My very first post on here consisted of one line!!!!! Which read,
    “ Yes, help me please, I love the taste of alcohol, but I desperately want to cut down on my drinking “…
    Now I am looking over my shoulder at the distance I have travelled, and I know that the deep end where all the hard work pays off and the good life begins is getting nearer and nearer each day….
    Keep Sober, Love from Louise xxxx
    A F F L..
    Alcohol Free For Life

That's incredible, Louise. You have come so far! Your analogy makes me want to take swimming (life) lessons from you. I think this will speak to so many people, and help explain to them the process here, and that we are all "swimmers in the great pool of life". :hug:
    Right now I feel like I'm backstroking...Is that still progress?
    Tumadre
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle.
    Plato

Comment

Preamble

Louise,

I really admired your swiming pool anology. This should be be placed in an introductury preamble to MYO.

RJ?

Capto

Comment

Thanks to you both for your positive feedback, comments like that help me in fighting my demons....

I would also like to add, when you do reach the deep end of the pool don't think you have finished...oh no....you can start by perfecting your diving technique, learn some new swimming strokes....hey, you could even study for your lifeguard certificate!!!!
        A F F L..
        Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

Louise, what can I say, that is just amazing, and so true .......

You are an inspiration to us all ....

Love & Hugs, Paula xx
          sigpicXXX

Comment

Wow Louise.....I usually don't have enough patience to read long posts but I just sailed throught this one. Blessings to you Dear Woman for what you give here. :thanks:

Maggie

Comment

Lou, i am just blown away by that....The girl with the lime on her head is one clever Kitty...I was trying to figure out at which end of the pool i was....Then i realised....I was at the deep end, but i got too cocky doing the backflips and whatnot....So i am back in the middle...for now...

I'm gonna vote some stars on this because since i've been here thats one of the best things i've read...

Big hugs and many thanks.....:l Macks..
              I don't care who you are...Your not walking on water while i'm fishing..
              One drink is too many... A thousand is never enough...Sober since July 2nd 2009

Comment

You're a gem, Louise. We're so lucky to have you!

Hugs,:l

Kathy
                AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Oh, how me Irish eyes are a smilin!

I'm swimming around but I still have my flippers on!

Love it here in this "pool".

:h Nancy
                  "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Louise,
                    That was just simply wonderful. I could see myself in that entire story and invisioned myself in the pool. I am making my way to that deep end!

NP
                    "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

That is a keeper!

Louise, thank you so much for that wonderful analogy of our struggle. I remember distinctly, back in 2006, that somebody handed me some waterwings. I am still wearing them today, all day, everyday. Thank you so much for that.
                      Love Lori:h
                      *Definition of Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result* Albert Einstein

Comment

Louise thanks for that. I am ready to put my big toe in the pool. And yes it is very scarry for me. I need all the help I can get. I hope I can do this. I have tried several times and have failed. I will take a deep breath and try again. Thank you Boo

Comment

Irishlady,

That was brilliant - thanks for that.

pixie
                          AF since 6JUN2012

Comment

Hey Macks, You made it to the deep end once, it won't be long before you are there again...

Nancy and lorisunshine, As long as you had the courage to get in the water and stay, the rest will follow...

Not Powerless, I can just see you now, ploughing your way down that pool, not letting anything stop you..

Boo, You didn't fail, you're still here, it just wasn't the right time for you...
                            A F F L..
                            Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

Hi Louise

You touched me... thank you for all that you say to this sometimes weary soul..

Wattle

I'm at the deep end but still holding on to the side..
                              Failure is not the falling down... it's the staying down

Comment

Working...
                              X