Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first real post--here also (my booze paradox)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What other (commonly used) substance can make you soooo "giddy" from just after you stop feeling lousy from the previous night ("giddy" because you know you're going to drink yet again--you think it's something really "fun" to look forward to), until you have drunk enough that you are "wrecked" for the remainder of yet another evening???

I promised this so here it is. Not sure how to start or how to organize, so I'll just list 10 points referring to my personal experience with coming to dislike alcohol VERY much.

1] I am a 40 year old physician. I am married to a wonderful woman and have 2 sons, 5 yo and 4yo. I am an accomplished runner and photographer. Alcohol has diminished much of my life since I first got drunk on Budweiser at an Alice Cooper (fathom THAT!!) concert at about age 16. Don't get me wrong, life is really good for me, but it can be a whole lot better.

2] I started with beer. Now it's wine. For me, high end beer and wine have always had a certain allure. I did a lot of homebrewing and now I have a large wine collection. I've read Allen Carr's book and I like it a lot. I think he's a little rigid on some things, but even if I choose to drink again, I fully believe that I will be ingesting a poison. At this point in my life I see very little, if any good that alcohol (in any amount) can do for anyone.

3] I've always been a "controlled" or "responsible" drinker. My pattern starts at 5 or 6PM, when I drink a bunch (like a bottle of wine) until, like I say, I'm "wrecked" for the evening. The sick part is I'll be "wrecked" but not so bad that I can't get the kids a bath, read them a story, take care of the house, etc... Just "wrecked" enough so that I know I am far less than I could be for yet another evening. Now don't get me wrong here, I do have a brother who IS a run-of-the-mill alcoholic, and another who is a crack addict, but I've never seen myself traveling down those roads. I'm just a "happy" "responsible" drinker.

4] I regularly abstain, out of necessity. When I take call (sometimes for 3 nights), I don't consume a drop. I always feel GREAT after this happens, then reward myself on the first non-call night by drinking a lot to the point of feeling lousy all over again. You'd think I'd learn wouldn't you?

5] I have a firm rule--one drop and NO driving. Yes, I am a "responsible" drinker. Also, I'm not to "drink one and the next thing is that I'm passed out". No, I drink precisely enough to "dumb myself down" for the night, then stop. I've had some awful hangovers in my life, but for me MOST nights simply result in a "usual" hangover that simply places me severely behind the 8-ball nearly every morning.

6] Again, I drink "high end". I drank great beers (brewed my own for many years), and now "fine" wines. I know all the names and pronunciations. I can talk the talk at work and am hip and cool. I am fun when I drink with others. Also, there's this certain "cozy" or "comfy" factor of relaxing every night with some form of booze in your hand. Problem is, for me, it always ends with me being essentially useless as a human being for the remainder of my night (that's just for ME, how useless am I as a husband and father?).

7] 4, 5, and 6 are the sadistic trap (the pitcher plant that Allen Carr speaks of) that make me absolutely hate alcohol. On one level you're hip, you're cool, you're sophistocated. If I choose to, I could probably live out my life repeating [3] daily and nothing "awful" would come of it. But on another level, I know that I am no different that the street dude drinking the cheapest booze available mainly for the "drunk numbness" that it offers. Really--it is no different. Take away the "Barolo" "Bordeaux" or "Chateauneuf" window dressing and it's just the same old poison that, on balance, ruins a large proportion of EVERY day of your life.

8] When I do want to stop completely (I firmly believe this to be the only correct solution), I HATE that nagging feeling of "sigh--what on earth will I do tonight to make life FUN?" Any body else experience this?

9] Being 40, I know that certain things happen due to aging. I see some things (some here have mentioned skin changes) about myself however, that I suspect may be due to pickling myself in this poison on a daily basis for the past 20 years. Can some here cite a few more and let me know if things get better with long term abstinence?

10] Lastly (again), how dumb am I? As I said, I am an accomplished runner. I've run 53 minutes for 10 miles and 2:33 for the marathon. The last time I flirted with these kind of times was about 10 years ago--precisely the time when I began getting into "high end" wines and drinking a LOT of it daily. I train every day ( I AVERAGED 9 miles per day last year) and have seen my times go absolutely nowhere. This is not due to aging, 40 year olds run kick-a$$ times all the time. Gosh, I abstained for >2 weeks this August and proceeded to run my best 10 mile time in ~7 years (on a HOT day). Think there'a a correlation there? For me running is THE physical accomplishment that defines who I am. I keep having this "pipe dream" that if I can manage to stay away from the booze, then my running will take off again. Perhaps. But even if it doesn't, I'll still be happy to run 5 or 10 miles every day. Alcohol has put the damper on enough of my days that I think I am finally ready to swear off it.
    ...and this is my "hobby". How "dumbed down" have I been for 20 years in every other aspect of my life??

I could post 500 more. Anyone else's alcohol story similar to mine?

BTW--no drinking last night with the neighbors, as I planned NOT to do. And guess what, on balance, it was more fun than if I had been "wrecked" by midway through dinner. Problem is (have you all had similar scenarios?) it's more difficult trying to explain why you are chosing to abstain from the poison, than actually not doing it. I told them that I had a headache while they "enjoyed" some crappy Chardonnay and a "red from Monteray". But I've had it with this. I think from now on, I'm simply going to say "I don't want any alcohol, it makes me feel lousy" and leave it at that. They can think what they want.
    How paradoxical is it that my wife (my main wine drinking partner) has expressed alarm thousands of times with my alcohol consumption and asked me to cut down many, many times. Yet--when she noticed that I had chosen to abstain several months ago, was JUST AS ALARMED!!! She was all freaked out and suspicious. She was asking if I had gotten a DUI or something. It was as if I had a lot of explainin' to do after making this (ultimately wonderful) choice.

Funny and tricky thing this alcohol is.

Sorry this is long and scatterbrained. This is just the tip of the iceberg, but I just wanted to get one little iota of it off my chest.

BFF

Wow - great post - I can so relate. Got a little carried away watching football yesterday and feel like I've been poisoned.

How funny the paradox is with booze - the love/hate thing. Also, my husband switched to water for a while yesterday and I was worried about him too. I didn't even realize it until you mentioned it. How weird to feel that way!

Barb

Comment

Yeah, and sorry

Sorry about my posting barrage. It's just that I'm still in that "wow, I've not had any booze for 2 days" stage and am all proud of myself and encouraged and everything.

Bear with me.

This board is cool. I'm glad I stumbled upon it.

BFF

Comment

Hiya BFF,

This is a fantastic place, and from reading your post it can only be richer for you being in it..
        I miss the cosy feeling of a glass in my hand in the evenings...Even after substituting the alcahol for a soft drink...Its not the same...

For me its what frame of mind i'm in....I used to think smoking was cool as a teenager...Now i know its not...Alcahol is cool if you can have 2 glasses...And think no more of it..

You seam well motivated and sound like you already know what you are doing...

I hope a few months down the line...When i'm reading one your posts....You have shaved minutes off your times....That way we'll know you are doing well...

Best of luck...Macks
        I don't care who you are...Your not walking on water while i'm fishing..
        One drink is too many... A thousand is never enough...Sober since July 2nd 2009

Comment

Hi Fox,

You make some wonderful points!
          You have accomplished many things in your life . Congrats!

Now....

How to spent the next 40 years?
          What is the most important thing to you right now?
          Your work?
          Your marriage?
          Being a good example for your sons?
          How your sons turn out?
          What your neighbors think?
          Running?
          Your health?

I know how I would put these thing in order but only you know what is most important to you.

You have noted that you have a family history and I don't have to tell you how powerful that "pull" is, not only for you but also for your kids when they begin to make their own choises.

I've got about twenty years on you and I can tell you it doesn't get any easier. Quit NOW while you can.....
          Oh and.........How does alcohol make any thing listed above better?

Your wife will understand if you share your fear with her. She is a smart lady to have landed a "Fox"! I have found that it took time for my husband to understand because he doesn't have the brain "swich" that comes on after a few drinks. Only an alcoholic truely gets that. It is like having kids or a pet or losing a parent or child to death...you just don't know until you've been there.

Good to have you here at MWO. It IS good to say it out loud, isn't it?

:welcome: Nancy
          "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Hi BFF
            Welcome and SouthernBelle just hits the nail on the head. I really don't have anything new to add than my predecesors than to say I am happy you shared your story and hope you stick around and make your way to the deep end (see the post about the pool by irishlady)
            NP
            "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

Hi BFF and :welcome:

Thanks for your post. I can relate to lots of things you mentioned. Especially the feeling of drinking being a sophisticated endeavor just because you paid a lot for a particular bottle of wine. Nancy made some great comments too - lots to think about.

You sound determined and open minded - this will be a great place for you. Glad you are here and I too look forward to hearing about your progress.
              BTW- after awhile those social situations get much easier...they get much much easier!
              I wish you the best.
              Lisa

Comment

Hey Bff,
                Another Welcome coming your way...:welcome:
                I enjoyed reading your post, it rambled very succinctly.
                Sounds like you're grappling with the "I want to be better than this" I want to be my best". Congrats on Day 2 by choice. Young children are a worthy motivation, especially as they will grow up so quickly. Choosing to be a dad that wants to be there fully and not "wrecked" is very admirable.
                Glad you signed in.

Olly

Comment

Welcome Fox! Absolutely wonderful insight picking apart the sophisticated allure of drinking fine wine! I, too, hear its siren song! For the good it does us, it could be Boone's Farm or Thunderbird.

I relate to so much of what you say. So I will say :welcome: . I hope that you will find help and value in being a participant here on MWO. I don't have experience with long term abstinence yet--I'm imagining that you have read the threads over on the long term abs forum. That should give you a pretty good idea of the benefits of long-term abstinence.

Great job so far!

Kathy
                  AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

HI and Welcome Fox
                    Everything you have said is so true, and you are obviously an accomplished person, and have two sons - to boot.
                    If you ever need a friend, Kathy or Mackeral are the chaps.

Keep strong. I wish you all the Best

Liz
                    xxx

Comment

Hi BFF

Sounds like you have great motivation and comprehension of the effects alcohol has on your life. I could echo everything you stated - especially the high end wine. Identifying the issue and saying/typing it out loud for me, was a tremendous relief. And finding this site, with people who know exactly what my struggles are, is a blessing. Welcome!
                      Hawk

Comment

One last addition to the rant...

I forgot to mention all the "subterfuge" that your mind conjures up so that you can just spend the evening at home--AND DRINK!!
                        Have any of you refused things (parties, invites, nights out at restaurants with your family, etc...), because your "comfort zone" is at home with your booze? Conversely, do you and your spouse alternate being DD, and you see that as your window to drink a lot when away from home?
                        This is very familiar to me. I've made up all kinds of crap for years now. It's just ridiculous.

Thanks all of you for your kind suport.

Comment

Hi there BFF, I know that feeling of alcohol screwing up your sport stuff really well. I do/did some fell running, but I mainly am a climber. I still climb, but in the last few years it's got increasingly eclipsed by drinking. I can't get near the grades I used to climb, partly because my head isn't up to it. You need a certain degree of psychological control for climbing, and when you're shaking and got the fear, well, it doesn't exactly help. I'm 15 days into abstinence today, and cruising so far. Going to get my ass out climbing in the near future and see the difference. I'm 43, so a similar age, and the alcohol bites more and more as I get older. Like you, I drink decent wine and beer, sometimes 3 bottles of wine a night. My main problem at the moment is too much sugar to compensate, so I need to wean myself off that too. Another similarity here is young kids - I've got a young son, and another kid on the way, and I know how much alcohol takes away from that too. One good thing in your case is the exercise - that amount of running has got to be helping you survive the alcohol damage to some extent. I think we deteriorate much faster without exercise. All the best to you, brother. Power to your heart and mind. I hope to be reading that you pulled off a great run time in a few weeks. Rooting for you.

Steve.

Comment

Thanks, Steve.

How about trying to help our kids do their math homework after a bottle of wine. This scares me (seriously).

Strength to you.

3 days now and feel a little momentum building.

I love what one of the previous poster's said about changing our lives so we do not become "dry drunks" (miserable people).

Comment

:welcome: Fox and congrats on being AF.

So you should be on cloud 9. I've also read Allen Carr's book and understand when you say that he can seem rigid at times. (I even find him drifting off the point), but nevertheless the book was a great help and it's really helped me see "poison" in a completely different light.

All the best.
                              Mandy x

Comment

Working...
                              X