Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OK help me out--the crux of the matter as I see it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think its because we think we are depriving ourselves of something we think everyone else can have anytime they want and we can't. So we get a little despressed or agitated about it.

Sammys

Comment

...and I didn't even mention...

the moronic associations that I have develpoed.

...Drinking a bunch after a marathon (or even a good workout) as a "reward".
      ...What the hell would a ski trip be without "Apres Ski" that always includes booze.
      ...Watching football in the fall where you constantly have alcohol in your hand.

It goes on and gets worse. Like I said at the start of the thread, it's now progressed (slowly, over the years, just like a slow slide into Allen Carr's "pitcher plant") to the point where Tuesday night must include booze (as must Wednesday, Thursday, etc).

This is dangerous thinking. I think that the previous poster absolutely hit the nail on the head--the part about letting this idiotic thinking run your life, make you miserable, and ultimately ending up a "dry drunk". Thanks very much for pointing that out. Carr did share that sentiment, and I thought that was a great point in his book.

I think we all must:
      1] Stop ingesting this poison, then
      2] Keep our abstinence, and finally
      3] Work to slowly unravel these retarded mindsets so that we can reset ourselves back to the point in life where all was good and well without booze (for me, precisely the moment before I got drunk for the first time).

Thanks everyone for the followup posts.

Comment

makes perfect sense
        It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not.
        James Gordon, M.D.

Comment

Just posted this on the wrong thread...

Oh well...All this stupidity just blends together anyway.

"I forgot to mention all the "subterfuge" that your mind conjures up so that you can just spend the evening at home--AND DRINK!!
          Have any of you refused things (parties, invites, nights out at restaurants with your family, etc...), because your "comfort zone" is at home with your booze? Conversely, do you and your spouse alternate being DD, and you see that as your window to drink a lot when away from home?
          This is very familiar to me. I've made up all kinds of crap for years now. It's just ridiculous."

Thanks all of you for your kind suport.

Comment

Funny, I have declined social engagements for years - it would interfere with my 'comfort zone'. And ultimately in that frame of mind, I would prefer staying home with my drink. I was completely at ease and content. I had no need for anything else. Sad eh??? After coming to the board, and reading everything that has been written, I have come to the realization, that I have missed out on so much in life. Wasted years....

Comment

Makes a lot of sense, why waste time at home..go out an enjoy yourself, just without the mind numbing effects of the booze.
              It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not.
              James Gordon, M.D.

Comment

Working...
              X