CBT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CBT

Has anyone tried it or know someone that has tried it?

It seems like ti could work. I have read many times that it takes 28 days to re-train ones brain and/or to change a habit. I have been on a journey for quite sometime, but recently something clicked and I seem to have lost much of my cravings to drink.
    At first I sought detox, SCARY places! And by the time I was interviewing places to do that, I was passed what would be considered a dangerous detox period anyhow, did it on my own for what it was of a detox. I didn't experience nearly what I was told I would, one place warned me I would die if I left even after I have seen a DR and the detox facility didn't even have a Dr on premise. That place would have to call an ambulance if something happened, I can do that from home. I am still going to look into a nicer Rehab Center, something 30 day or so for my own peace of mind but for now I am doing good. Going on 2 weeks and it's been years of no abstinence.
    WEIGHT GAIN, is my only real issue right now, I can feel that lack of alcohol calories has made my body want food calories! It's time to get that under control.

I want to try CBT also. It sounds very promising!

CBT

Here is one article, but there are many-
    Cognitive Behavior Therapy - Cognitive Behavior Therapy for Addiction

What Is Cognitive Behavioral Therapy?

Cognitive behavioral therapy tries to understand how an individual's learning has occurred. Our behavior is learned, we are not born to behave in a certain way. Put simply, some of the behavior we learn is 'good' and other behavior is 'bad' or 'maladaptive'.

A therapist using CBT will, firstly, attempt to help you understand the reasons for your 'bad' behavior and why you developed such a negative response to certain 'triggers'.

The second, and arguably more important goal of CBT, is to identify and learn better responses, or coping strategies, for the triggers.

Alternative Alcoholism Treatment? Cognitive Behavioral Therapy

Comment

CBT

CBT

I think for sure this has promise. But there is a big range of alcohol problems and I don't know where you fit on the spectrum. A lot of people report drinking for psychological problems, so to the extent that CBT can help psychological problems at the root of drinking, then it can help alcohol dependency. Find a good practitioner. Whether you want to reduce harm or be abstinent. And it takes a long time.

Comment

CBT

it can take longer than 28 days with CBT thats just an average, it is an effective therapy, but its also a difficult one, lots of motivation is required as it will test the client to their very core, but its very successful if the client can stick with it, some clients feel person centred therapy is better 4 them as it gives them time nd space to discuss any root causes of the addiction whereas CBT works more in the present, with the thinking nd behviour and not so much the cause, depends on the client and what they think will work for them as an individual, but both r good therapies
        I love people who make me laugh. I honestly think it's the thing I like most, to laugh. It cures a multitude of ills. It's probably the most important thing in a person.
        Audrey Hepburn

Comment

CBT

how long it takes

I read that the 28 day thing is a myth. CBT in my experience can also be very targeted to the individual. Good therapists use CBT. CBT and other things cured me of depression but it took a very long time. And like littlepinkcat says, you need to be very motivated.

Comment

CBT

Thanks for the input! I don't know if 28 days is true or if that's a rule of thumb but only for some, ha!

My 'goal' keeps changing, so much so that I don't really have one. First, it was just to get rid of the guilt from the previous night(year and years of other slight haunts), I felt guilt but could not remember why, what made my feel guilt upon awakening. Honestly, that's not anything new, I know I have done that many times before, this time was different somehow. That first step led to fears that I could die from the first effects of detoxing, which led me to facilities I would not even consider checking myself into. Which put me passed the detoxing days these facilities frightened me about. On my own, and my way out, I guess.

I have done probably too much research, some may suggest research is putting the cart before the horse, I like to know what may and maybe not happen. I may look into 'brainwashing' CDs, and find and read more info on CBT.

Days Alcohol Free- 12 days. Counting days may be hard for me. I had to go count back with the calendar.

Comment

CBT

I do know I don't want to do the 12 step program. I have read too many 12 step people seemingly feeling holier than thou while also stating that recovery is only at a 5 % rate. After much research, that's exactly what the spontaneous recovery rate is.

The Effectiveness of the Twelve-Step Treatment

There are too many pray to GOD stories that just don't end up well too! (In the program I mean.)

Comment

CBT

12 steps or else

A lot of people don't like the 12-step programs. There is a lot of religious propaganda in it and my personal opinion is that the focus on sins and flaws is a turn-off for women who actually need to build their self-esteem. Still some people for sure benefit from it. Usually they just ignore the things that their brain rightly tells them is wrong and enjoy the program for the good aspects, such as socializing face-to-face with people struggling with the same problem. There is, typically, some slogan for this like take what you need and leave the rest.

Comment

CBT

~It was a lovely place as well, which shouldn't matter I s'pose, but did make a big difference to me. I didn't feel like some down and out old drunk. They made me feel like a special person with problems. If you ever do decide to go down that road feel free to pm me anytime if you want any feedback or support I may be able to provide ~

Thanks, I will be in touch, would love to know what the name of the facility is so I can see if there are any in my area.

I have been reading the threads and forum. Always good to see some successes and feel involved. Right now, boredom may be a huge issue for me, just back from 8 days away and I need to get a schedule going for myself.

Comment

CBT

The Brain Mechanic by Spencer Lord is a great read about CBT. I'm in the process of learning more about it - sounds spot on to me from what I know so far.

Comment

Working...
                    X