Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Antabuse: Have you been on it for a long time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you notice any long term side effects? I am a bit concerned about taking it for maybe several years, because all medicines have side effects, and 200mg every day times 365 days times several years is quite a lot.

As far as I know, the only long-term problem is rare, and that is liver damage. I plan on having it having it checked once a year and have committed to a minimum of two years on antabuse. People here have reported two years as about the time they stopped thinking about drinking. Also, this article might interest you. It reports on a nine-year study involving antabuse:

"First, the longer the intake, the more likely is a patient to stay continuously abstinent even after termination of alcohol deterrents," she said . . . "The psychological role that alcohol deterrents may play in relapse prevention is one of the most interesting aspects of the study," added Brewer. "These results support the theory that prolonged abstinence achieved with disulfiram automatically leads to the consolidation of the habit of abstinence. Practice makes perfect."

Antabuse - Long-Term Antabuse Treatment Shows Big Results
    Ginger

You are here:
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks for that Ginger. As you know I just started on antabuse. I'm not sure how long I'm planning to take it - I guess until I feel I don't need to anymore.

I thought I'd get my bloodwork done to check on results as well.

Have a great day.

Comment

i took it everyday for 6 weeks and my face complelty broke out in vicious acne. i am taking 250mg.. its a capsule so i can't even break it in half. i slowed down the dose to once every few days and taht cleared up everything... it stays in your system for over a week so no need to take it everyday.
        caper
        AF since Sept 2013...
        :alf:

Comment

I've been on it (off and on, mostly on) for about 2 years now. I haven't experienced any side effects at all (except a reaction to alcohol, of course!). I use all kinds of products, even those with alcohol in them, and never have any negative effects. I plan to stay on it the rest of 2012, at least.
          :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Working...
          X