babies and alcohol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

babies and alcohol

Hi there, been reading lots of posts and getting lots of inspiration. Managing more AF days and drinking more moderately at the weekends - and that's just from reading posts - haven't received my supps and CDs yet! So thanks for that.

I see there are quite a few mums about. I wondered if any of you might share with me how they managed to stay off alcohol when pregnant. Does something just kick in to stop you or is it a real battle? I'm keen to try for a baby sometime in the near future but am petrified I might not be able to stay off the booze for that long.

Nxx

babies and alcohol

Hi Nicole,

I too had the same concerns, and in fact made my husband promise he would give up chocolate for nine months if I had to give up wine. THANKFULLY I had such an aversion to alcohol of any kind for the majority of my pregnancy that I would literally dry heave if I went by the wine aisle in a store. About the 8th month I started thinking about wine again but it is a whole different mindset when you are carrying a baby and you know you are responsible for its health and well being. You will be fine I am sure. If only I could bottle up whatever hormonal reaction made me have such an aversion I would be lucky!!!! Good luck to you.
    I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

babies and alcohol

I was wondering the same thing, so thanks for the answer lush!
      It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not.
      James Gordon, M.D.

Comment

babies and alcohol

When I got pregnant, I had been drinking one/two glasses of wine just about every day. I was so psyched about being pregnant that I found it pretty easy to only have one or two glasses a week. It's not that I didn't want more than that sometimes, but I was so aware of the baby that it was so much easier to choose not to drink. My ob/gyn said one/two a week was okay, so that's what I did.

If you are able to cut down a lot with the help of this program, perhaps you will feel more encouraged and confident for when you get pregnant. Good luck!
        AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

babies and alcohol

I am the mother of three and only had the very rare glass of wine when pregnant. The desire was simply gone.
          Sometimes I wonder...."Why is that frisbee getting bigger?"...and then it hits me.

Comment

babies and alcohol

I was drinking & found out I was pregnant & quit that day. Did not touch a drop for 11 months. I occasionally drank an alcohol free beer on hot summer days or alcohol free wine. With my second child I was already 1 month sober & got pregnant so I had no problems with wanting to drink. But went back to my ways after both births.
            :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

babies and alcohol

I drank 1 glass of wine after the 5th month, and only because I asked my doc "So I really can't have any wine at all huh?" And he said "No you can now, just have one glass a week". So that's what I did. My first trimester i was so turned off my the small of it that it was a non issue, but that did pass. The one glass a week was fine because after not drinking for 5 months, that first glass I almost felt tanked!

The Europeans drink wine moderately throughout their entire pregnancies, but for us folks I wouldn't recommend trying that, especially in the first trimester.

If you want to get pregnant you should try to abstain now so that it isn't such a blow if you do get pregnant.
              I quit smoking a year before i got pregnant so that I would have no worries.

Good luck!!
              Sunny days, sweeping the, clouds away. On my way, to where the air is sweeeet!!! Can you tell me how to get, how to get to......LOL

Comment

babies and alcohol

Fan don't be a troublemaker..

It is weird that we do it for our kids but not for ourselves. We should be doing it for them after they are born too, too many kids damaged by seeing their parents drinking all the time and/or drunk.
                Sunny days, sweeping the, clouds away. On my way, to where the air is sweeeet!!! Can you tell me how to get, how to get to......LOL

Comment

babies and alcohol

I found out almost exactly a year ago that I was pregnant; had baby boy at the end of Aug. I did not have much desire to drink -- in fact, I had had a cold, which usually would not put off my urges to drink, so when I felt "done" after 2 beers I started to wonder why...which led to the discovery thatI was pregnant. Strangely and/or miraculously, I didn't want it and didn't miss it -- most of the time, especially early on. I subscribe to the European view, and I would have a beer or a glass of wine here and there. I drank a little more toward the end of pregnancy, but never got out of hand or drunk. And it was no big whoop! In fact early in the pregnancy it would be 5:00 and I wouldn't even think about drinking, or there would be times when I couldn't remember how many days or weeks it had been since I'd had a drink. And it was so nice not to wake up hungover. I admit, though, that I am struggling now again, and I am nursing. So unfortunately (and I think RJ mentioned this in her book, too) I had hoped that maybe I licked the problem, but it does come inching back. Bottom line, your body tells you what it needs, at least during pregnancy. (Actually I believe it does so all the time; we just sometimes don't listen.)

Good luck to you!
                  CS

Comment

babies and alcohol

I was pretty much AF for two months preceeding my pregnancy. When I had my pregnancy confirmed, I never thought twice about drinking.

You will find many woman kick into this 'instinct' mode when they are pregnant. It is in our instinctual make up to protect our children whether it being in the womb or after birth. The body is pretty amazing in letting you know what you should/shouldn't be doing - especially when it is creating a new life!

Plus, on another note, with all of the education regarding fetal alcohol syndrome and what it actually does to the child, this alone should be enough to scare the pants off anyone who thinks drinking is a good thing while pregnant.

Also, and not to offend... If you feel you have a problem with alcohol, it probably would be best to deal with that before planning to have a baby...

Comment

babies and alcohol

I gave up drinking and smoking 6 months b4 trying to get pregnant - I thought we both should as read alot about it. Had about 1 glass when preggers - made me feel sick. Started up about 6 weeks after, but it took me a while to hit full stride again.

Cashy
                      "Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon

Comment

babies and alcohol

Yeah, cashy - I too started to hit full stride with my drinking a couple of months after my daughter was born...

It is such a shame how we are so good to ourselves when we are preg. and then after the baby is here we start abusing ourselves again..........

Comment

babies and alcohol

I had no problems not drinking while pregnant. First of all I wasnt drinking as much then than now and I knew I couldnt drink for the health of my baby.

Comment

Working...
                          X