Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peripheral Neuropathy

Hi, I have a question:
    Do any of you suffer from Peripheral Neuropathy, alcohol induced or otherwise. Would love to hear from you.
    Lori
    *Definition of Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result* Albert Einstein

Peripheral Neuropathy

what is that?
    It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not.
    James Gordon, M.D.

Comment

Peripheral Neuropathy

Do you mean in your feet Lori? I think there were a couple of people who mentioned that they had feet issues after a lot of drinking; cold, numbness and tingling.
      I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Peripheral Neuropathy

New,
        it is damage to the tiny nerve endings sitting under your skin, all over your body. The more advanced it gets the more nerves are damaged. It is very common in alcoholics, but also occurs in patients with diabetes.
        It feels as if you were living in an anthill on a permanent basis. It's horrid.
        Lori
        *Definition of Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result* Albert Einstein

Comment

Peripheral Neuropathy

New,
          hands and feet are usually the first sign of trouble. As it progresses it will affect all surfaces of your body.
          L

Comment

Peripheral Neuropathy

oh, that sounds horrible!!! I'm sorry, does it go away?
            It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not.
            James Gordon, M.D.

Comment

Peripheral Neuropathy

Yes, I have twitches all over my body but I think I notice them more because I am sitting at my computer all day long. They are not unbearable but I do wonder if it is alcohol-related. I believe it could be. Do you have it Lori? and has it gotten better since you have been AF?
              I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Peripheral Neuropathy

Lush and New,
                yes, I have them and no it has not gotten better over the last 16 days. Given the fact that I drank for 20 years, I should give my poor body a little slack and not expect it to go away in a forthnight.
                Actually, there is no known treatment. I am just hoping that I'm made of Iron wood and the dang little nervies are gonna fix themself over time. It's just another reason why I cannot ever drink again.
                L.

Comment

Peripheral Neuropathy

I find when i am feeling nervous or edgy, my feet or hands might start feeling numb/like they wont work properly - is this that? Or is that part of a panic attack? Lusch I get the twitchy thing too. I just figured that was from drinking too much the day before or the weekend before or something.
                  Over 4 months AF :h

Comment

Peripheral Neuropathy

Hi Lori,

My former father-in-law has peripheral neuropathy, and physical therapy can help as well as getting exercise. Have you looked into any herbal or natural remedies that could at least help alleviate some of the symptoms? (I don't know if there are any, but maybe something can help a bit...) Good luck, Lori.

Hugs,

Kathy:l
                    AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Peripheral Neuropathy

Hi Kathy,
                      I am trying to talk to a Chinese pharmacist when I get to the big TO the next time. It can't hurt. One thing I noticed is that when I take something like "Anti-nausea" drugs (the don't throw-up-in-the-car kind") within 1/2 hour the creepy-crawlies become almost unbearable. Then I walk throughout the house all night long. I don't take them anymore, as I can sleep really well again.
                      With alcoholics, this decease is slow but progressive. I don't know at which stage I am as I have nobody to ask.
                      L.

Comment

Peripheral Neuropathy

I am not entirely sure what alternative applications could be applied as to the treatment or treatment of symptoms for peripheral nueropothy. I do know that in traditional western medicine, gabapentin at a dose of 100mg up to 600mg will be administered; the idea being the more annoying/painful it is, the more you take. The downside is that this drug can be extremely sedative, so if the symptoms aren't bothering you that much, it wouldn't be needed. Also note this drug treats the symptoms and not the cause. It acts on on the gaba receptor, but unfortunately it is still unknown exactly how it works. As for the mention of how anti-nausea drugs affect said nueropothy, may I inquire as to which ones specifically they were. I do not find any of those drugs to help myself, but I do find L-glutamine, aloe-vera, and ginger to be greatly helpful. Perhaps next time you wish for such anti-nausea effects, you could use one or all of those, and perhaps reach success without the aggravation of the neuropothy. Swim would have to say that cannabis would be even more effective, as it couples some effects of all the things mentioned. It incorporate some anagelsic (pain killing) effects with antiemetic(anti nauesa/vomiting) effects. I should also mention that the supplementation of L-glutamine will be especially helpful, as excessive alcoholic consumption leads to a deficiency there. This can also lead to other amino acids being off balanced. It should be noted however that an excess of an amino acid is no better than a deficiency. It is ill-advised to supplement with a bunch of amino-acids, minerals, and the like without first knowing the ratios already present in your body. Also, if levels are too low, the body will likely not utilize the substance if it in ingested. It is therefore important to get a form of what you want that is readily available and easily absorbed/digested. Also 95% of alcoholics have an intestinal yeast infection, usually coupled with leaky gut syndrome. Getting rid of said yeast could alleviate some symptoms in the long run. Also, feeding the yeast could get you stoned enough to forget about it for a little while. (note yeast causes much of the physical addictive nature of alcohol.) Other than that, I'd say try eating some habanero and cayenne pepper and eating a lot of cranberries. I can't be sure the last thing will help, but it definitely can help, and without any negative side effects. If I remember correctly, physical therapy of sorts and exercise can help it, but thats a lot harder with the disease to begin with, and therefore not likely a viable option. I wish I had a better and more complete method to share, but if i do find anything as such I will certainly share.

Oh, and make sure your not extremely deficient in gaba and dopamine, as this can lead to sensations of needles and/or bugs on ones skin. This would be especially annoying for those already suffering form peripheral nueropothy, but it could lead to false signal/symptoms. When I had said sensation, they were primarily in my arms. A good rule of thumb is to make sure it start on the feet/hands, and not in the arms or legs and down. I doubt this is the case for the vast majority of cases, but hopefully that can help somebody.
                        "I ain't no prophet, don't wanna cure no damn disease, would you marry me anyways, if i was on my knees"
                        -Sublime

Comment

Peripheral Neuropathy

I have without a doubt - Leaky Gut Syndrome. I complained to my doc about the symptoms I was having and she performed 'Routine' tests on me - ct scan and sonogram. It showed that I have diverticulosis, but since LGS is not recognized by alot of traditional doctors I was told that there was nothing wrong with me. Like all my symptoms are in my head or something. I have the tingles in my legs and arms when I sleep at night. And I have without a doubt yeast problems. I actually have little rashes on my back that my doc told me to use Selsen Blue for - like a body wash.

As I was looking up LGS yesterday I started finding out all sorts of info about what causes it. Alcohol is the biggest factor. That research led me to this place and I am so thankful that it did. It is comforting to know that I am not alone out there with my addiction. :new:
                          :new:

Comment

Peripheral Neuropathy

My Mom has neuropathy in her feet, she is a diabetic. Her doctor say that she should take all the b vitamins for releif
                            M

Comment

Working...
                            X