Joking About Drinking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joking About Drinking

Not sure I want this to be a whole thread, but here goes anyway.

This morning in the break room I was talking to a co-worker and somehow we got onto the topic of how we spend our evenings. He asked me if I like to read and drink a glass of wine. I erringly said "I just drink" when I meant to say "I just read". He laughed and said "So you drink heavily" and we both laughed. And then I said "Seriously, I don't drink at all", and he said "I can tell you don't, I wouldn't joke with somebody about drinking heavily if I really thought they did because then it wouldn't really be funny". And I thought to myself "If he only knew...."

It just kind of struck me how people perceive other people. He mentioned the red splotchy skin and bulbous nose that comes along with drinking, and how he sees people around work that he would never joke with about drinking. Anyway, I was glad that I don't have that "look" yet, but I was definitely on that road!

It's kind of sad though that drinking heavily is funny to people, but I guess it's only funny to people that don't do it. For those of us with a problem, it's anything but hilarious.

K9
    :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Joking About Drinking

I used to worry about becoming an alcoholic, but its not so bad. Just can't drink
    100 days 04-10-12, entering the danger zone, Rodger that!

6 months July 1st

Comment

Joking About Drinking

Hi K9, I think that making jokes about our drinking is a way of denying we have a serious problem. You know, having a laugh about tpwhat a 'great' night we had and all the 'silly' things we did.... Seriously though, once all the joking stops and the hard work of getting AL out of you life starts, it really isn't that much fun huh? It's fun. Iow I'm back on track but it isn't so,ething I'll mess with ever again! It's Friday morning here and I'm looking forward to the end of the work day! Have a good day pretty girl. NL
      It is not what we do, but how much love we put into the doing.
      Mother Theresa

Comment

Joking About Drinking

I agree, the people that joke about it are probably covering up a more serious issue...my previous boss used to think it was so funny, and I know for a fact that she was (still is) a 1-2 bottle of wine per night drinker. Funny how nobody would joke about shooting up heroin though, right?

Comment

Joking About Drinking

I agree it is sad to joke about drinking. I use to joke that I couldn't remember anything.. or about how many brain cells I was killing.. really not funny at all. Actually quite serious. Now I hear people joke and I just smile and really don't know how to respond. I just sorta think the same thing.. "if you only knew". I've had people assume I don't drink because I'm being "good" but not because I'm an alcoholic and really can't drink. Same response like you don't look like you had a problem?? I don't really feel like telling them all my horror stories to prove I can't. I love it when someone just doesn't question it and accepts it. It sorta tells me they are going to be easier and more fun for me to hang out with. I don't know how this joking has gone right into my late 30's.. It's really sad not funny. Probably it's a coping tactic.. like laughing at someone who falls down. I can't think of any other reason really. Maybe heroin addicts joke about getting high to each other and because it's not legal or mainstream it's not as common. I use to smoke pot and joked about it all the time with people I smoked with. I don't do that anymore either. Just hang out sober, and wonder if I am funny anymore... well sometimes.

Comment

Joking About Drinking

K9Lover;1272178 wrote: I agree, the people that joke about it are probably covering up a more serious issue...my previous boss used to think it was so funny, and I know for a fact that she was (still is) a 1-2 bottle of wine per night drinker. Funny how nobody would joke about shooting up heroin though, right?
            Interesting thread K9. Jason Vale talks a lot about the double standard of Alcohol in his book also. I think he even refers to the similarity with Heroine just as you did - no one says "I'm just an occasional herione user" either.

Comment

Joking About Drinking

Caroline Knapp talks a bit about this in "Drinking: A Love Story," when the next day you talk to your friends to try to assess how stupidly fucked up you were the night before. "Must have done some really silly stuff!" or "Oh, what a night," as if it were a fluke. When someone does something silly once a year, it might be funny. When we do it all the time, it's not.

Comment

Joking About Drinking

Someone from my old department just stopped by and asked me if I've polished off any 30-packs of beer lately. Boy the jokes are just flying today! Hardee-har

Comment

Joking About Drinking

hmmm. That's terrible K-9 and would really make me mad. Not funny, lazy talking.

Comment

Joking About Drinking

Choice -
                    I'm trying to not let it get to me, considering the source. These are people that are probably aware (deep down) of their own problems and wish they were doing something about it!

Comment

Joking About Drinking

I find that the people who talk about alcohol and joke the most are the ones with the worst problems. Seriously, do I need to know that every day after work you drink???
                      How did I ever have the stamina to do that...
                      Day 1 again 11/5/19
                      Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
                      Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
                      Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
                      11/27/19: messed up but back on track
                      12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Joking About Drinking

Good K-9 what else can you do? Its hard not to let it in so I'm glad your putting it in it's place. Nursie, I too wonder how I had the stamina. I have hung out in heavy drinking situations during the past month and we really are NOT missing out. People repeating themselves, laughing at their own dumb jokes. Not to mention it stinks!! Bad breath all over the place, and close talkers! yuck. Our problem with alcohol really needs to be handled with respect and with humility. I'm not sure if your like me but... If others are joking it can be really hard not to feel bad about my problem. Because feeling bad fuels my problem. I personally need to be really careful not to feel bad when others are jerks.. Regardless... just sitting through all that Bull must have a pain in the butt. Take care of yourself tonight K-9 do something nice for yourself.

Comment

Working...
                        X