Question Is stress a big factor?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems as though I drink to relieve stress, anyone else feel this way???

Please let me know

kikat:thanks:
    AF since 12/11/2008 :ranger c:
    Today well lived makes every yesterday a dream !:catroll:

Hi kitkat:

Oh yea. My relatives often said they figured I drank to relieve stress. It was a big factor for me.

Here is what I have found though, now that I look back on it. Drinking would indeed make me think I was relieved of stress, but that was only an illusion brought about by deadened nerves and brain.

Then while hungover, the real physical stress of being poisoned would cripple me for days.

It is like sweeping dirt under the rug. It makes things look better for a bit, but the dirt is still there. I never really cleaned it out, and got it out of my house.

Real stress relief comes with a healthy mind and body I have found. Not in a bottle. Sounds corny, but is becoming more apparent to me day by day.

Neil

Comment

Hi KitKat:
      And, let me first congradulate you, you are doing awesome! Yes, I think stress is a major cause of drinking. When my dad died almost 10 years ago, I felt better about things after a glass of wine, and then the glass became bigger. I have kids, and I sort or relate it to the fact that it is much easier to say yes, than it is so say no, and to set boudaries. We then become spoiled, and pretty soon it turns into a problem...for me anyway. I can tell you that I feel great when that first wave of relaxation hits my shoulders and warms my body, but unfortuantely, I do not stop there.
      -Kim

Comment

Hey KitKat,

I feel like I drank for just about everything--to relieve stress, when I was worried or anxious, when I was angry or sad or both, when I was lonely, and of course, when I was happy and wanted to celebrate.

But yes, my drinking became really problematic during a period of great stress and unhappiness in my life, and then it just continued on and on, long past the time when I should have gotten it together and moved on.

Take care of yourself.

Hugs,

Kathy:l
        AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Here is how is was for me...

I would have a stressful day so would drink. And drink too much. Which meant more stress the next day- with guilt, embarrassment, being sick, trying to remember who I spoke to on the phone or what plans I made, trying to get rid of the evidence before work, or thinking about all the $ I spent on booze. I could go on and on. So in answer to your question, I thought I was drinking to relieve stress but I gave myself my stress. Make sense?

Comment

Yah it makes since I am just medicating till I can get some professional help. Probably not the best thing to do but here I am

Comment

Hi Kitkat,

I used to drink to block out my thoughts and ignore anything that was going wrong in my life.

Part of my current journey with AF is to learn to be alone with my thoughts and be comfortable with that.

I think it shows a lot of insight on your part that you know that you are self-medicating. I hope the professional help you are waiting for shows up for you really soon.

Gem x
              Free since 26th February 2012

Comment

I am going tomarrow I don't know what will happen and I am affraid I'm tired anxiety attacks are a problem for me.

Thank you Gem

Comment

Working...
                X