Insurance Warning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insurance Warning

I imagine that many of you already know this, but thought I'd post for those who don't.
    I was denied health insurance coverage due to "Medical History," but I know it's because I went to one detox/rehab for a very short time last year, but through insurance. Funny thing is that the insurance only paid for a couple of days, and I was stcuk with a bill of about $2500. I wanted to leave the place after three days, but they insisited that I stay and they's take care of any insurance problems. WRONG! Anyway, I paid out of pocket for another intensive out patient program and then a 28 day rehab myslef. I had been on COBRA for 18 months, and it ran out at the end of February. So--I try to help myself and I am rewarded with a denial of coverage. So I now have to go to a plan that is meant for people who are denied byt the traditional companies, and my understanding is that I'll be paying over $700 a month. So be forewarned before you use insurance benefits for any mental health issues! I was also told that Anthem has stopped mental health benefits as of January 1.
    TDN
    "One day at a time."

Insurance Warning

Thanks for the info, 3. At my age and situation, doesn't affect me but will so many more. We have Anthem to, and I didn't know that. It is a sad catch-22, isn't it? Hubs was reluctant to take antidepressants because he KNOWS his company will include it in his file, though they say they won't.
    sigpic
    Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
    awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Insurance Warning

TDN, thank you for posting this. Absolutely insane - we have insurance but can't get help. It just doesn't seem possible but sadly, it's true.

Comment

Insurance Warning

My friend I suggest you to go abroad to treat your mental problem so that you do not have medical history.May be you can go for summer trip in south Asia where you get mental health treatment without any record.

If you think I could be help to assist you to get your medicines from other country and I have good contact with doctors abroad...So that you could save an insurance cost as well as you will get nice job or business...
        Dixon
        A learned habit surely be unlearned !!

2012: Continuous AF for 7 months from May to Oct.

Big Relapses : 6th November and 12th December 2012.

2013 : So many ups and down !!

2014: Has a conviction to stay with a healthy life.

Comment

Insurance Warning

This is why when I was considering outpatient treatment in Dec. 2011, I was very reluctant. I did do an "assessment" at the facility, and was hesitant to even do that (did I possibly jeopardize not only my own insurance situation but my husband's, since it's through his employer). As a result, I've done nothing. (That's not the only reason, but I think you get the idea.) This system totally sucks and seems to do more hurt than help, esp. financially.

Comment

Insurance Warning

Believe me it helps...there are good neurologist in the world as it is not a big now ...
            You can travel for new place , save money and keep the medical record hidden...
            I also offer you a meditation which is more than medication. I am lazy so what I am not doing but its a very true treatment.
            Anyway you favour you..
            Dixon

Comment

Insurance Warning

Thanks for the suggestion, Dixon...but it can cost a lot to travel abroad. Lots of folks can't afford to do that.

This is why I order medications online...It's nearly impossible to purchase insurance if you have had drug/alcohol treatment or an admission of alcoholism in your records. I was rejected from insurance companies for having a history of depression. I had never been suicidal, but I'd been on meds... So odd to be punished for trying to address a problem.

Comment

Insurance Warning

fennel;1277025 wrote: Thanks for the suggestion, Dixon...but it can cost a lot to travel abroad. Lots of folks can't afford to do that.

This is why I order medications online...It's nearly impossible to purchase insurance if you have had drug/alcohol treatment or an admission of alcoholism in your records. I was rejected from insurance companies for having a history of depression. I had never been suicidal, but I'd been on meds... So odd to be punished for trying to address a problem.
                You are right Fennel, What can we do is see a doctor once and get medicine from on-line .Taking medicine shows different side effects or any..once the doctor know you she /he can advice on-line or by telephone.So I suggest to see once and be in contact with doctor regularly updating the progress .
                I am not sure but can avoid our record from medical history.
                Well, you all are seniors to me so can find the way out.
                I can be of help if needed for on-line advice as I am from abroad where no restriction of buying medicine and I have my doctor friend.
                Anyway Thanks and wish you all the best..
                Dixon

Comment

Insurance Warning

In my case I used to go once a year ...to know my health status..

Comment

Insurance Warning

I filled a prescription for antibuse. Never took a pill. When I found out how much the co pay was I only paid for 10 pills. In 2010 I was laid off. I couldn't pay cobra, I the only parent to triplets and on family coverage it was over 1,000 a month. I was able to put my children on their university insurance which was paid for out of their financial aid (mostly loans), but when I applied for insurance for myself, the med came up and the red flags started waving I was a risk. I was questioned to no end of my alcohol use, etc. etc. and I finally just stopped trying to get insurance on my own. I am sure it will haunt me forever so I must keep my current job with health insurance that I was able to put my family on as well. I would highly recommend not using ins. for filling a med like that via insurance. I wish I had known this at the time.

Comment

Insurance Warning

Where is the triplets' father to help you with expenses? I know this is not about AL but about helping you!

Comment

Insurance Warning

DIY Rehab

That is very disappointing. Glad you posted in case others can benefit. I read in an article posted on the NIAAA website that the staff are often under-trained at these rehab centers, and then they just add the free 12-step programs, run by untrained people. I do wonder whether other options should be considered, like detox at home under medical supervision. I imagine that could be handled with different insurance codes.

And for some, like now and then binge drinkers, there are few or no withdrawal symptoms and inpatient rehab is not needed- it depends on your habits.

Hope everyone looks into options.

Comment

Insurance Warning

I have problems getting insurance in all areas of my life as a results of consequences of my drinking- although over here you can get free healthcare paid via our taxes. I either have to pay over the odds and have done for years, or be uncovered (although I'm never illegal just uncovered!).

People in this country complain about our free healthcare system, they hold the US system as their ideal. I have an idea that many people would be excluded or suffer under such a system, and from this thread I think I'd be right. On the other hand you can't blame insurance companies from wanting to raise their premiums for people who are a high risk on the health front.

Trouble is people will conceal it, and there are some darn unhealthy folk out there who'll drink above normal levels, yet never admit to it.
                          I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

Working...
                          X