ROCK BOTTOM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ROCK BOTTOM

daisy45;1278498 wrote: Hey Tips, I agree; I have been a single mum now 14 years and devoted myself to my 4 children. When they were growing up, I spent every night alone and possibly that is where wine became my friend. They are now 16,17, 19 and 20 so I am finding they are not home as much and I have been left with a massive void. The likelihood of me drinking even more was becoming very real. So, I have, over the past year and a half filled my life with new things in anicipation of the life I want to live. I volunteer, paint, exercise regularly and read a lot. I am now contemplating getting the knitting out again - I am midway through an Aran scarf which has been calling my name this past 3 years! You know what they say, 'Fail to plan, plan to fail!'
    And Tipps, 'God loves a trier!!!':H
    Wow, you are drowning in teenagers. I think those creatures are what caused my drinking to escalate over ten years ago. Makes sense since they are now 31, 30 and 24. Good that you are starting to live the life you want. This is where I want to catch up to you. This morning, coincidently I made a list of things of which I want to do one daily ie. play the keyboard and learn more about all it's bells and whistles, read my spiritual literature, snow shoe in the woods or kayak on the river, etc.

Boredom is a big trigger for drinking for me. Don't want to go there.

Take care, Daisy and thanks for being a great example to me.
    Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
    ? Lao-Tzu

Comment

ROCK BOTTOM

Hi Tipp -

I also had a problem convincing my husband it was ok. He actually received the "mysterious package from India" and I had to explain to him it was antabuse. At first he was upset and we had an argument about it - I didn't need that...who knows what's in drugs from India...etc. etc. Anyway, eventually he came around and I promised him I'd only take a low dose as needed...which is what I've been doing. So maybe you can reassure your sister as well. Good luck!

Comment

ROCK BOTTOM

Tip - thanks again for posting another great thread, and thanks to all for teh discussion, thou lively at times - it is all great discussion.
        I am getting closer to getting some tabs, especially when I see the small dose that can be taken. I don't seem to be able to quit this without, even thou I feel pretty determined.
        I was a daily wine drinker and it is also more habit than anything. A habit that I just can't quite shrug off. I am very anti med - and don't take tylenol, advil, anything - but this might just be the one thing I have to do for myself.
        Tip, I am liking the sound of your plan, and yours as well mylife - I will do some more research - on another post I saw a couple of website to go purchase, I am short on funds right now thanks to the tax man, so maybe I can treat myself to this next pay day....
        “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

ROCK BOTTOM

Just wanted to chime in... that's pretty much the dosage I used as well. 1/2 a pill daily for about a week and then went to 1/2 pill every other day. I quit after a month and have not needed them since. But they are sitting on my desk... just in case
          Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

ROCK BOTTOM

I just want to pop in and say hi to you all. I take antabuse and have been sober since I started taking it over 4 months ago now, I can say it has totally changed my life. I take 1/2 pill every day, I did start taking every other day but that wasnt working as well for me as I knew I would then only need to forget say 1 dose and I would be able to drink so for now I am back on 1/2 each day. I am not in any rush to stop taking it, I had my bloods checked and everything is fine. I wish you all the best of luck x

Comment

ROCK BOTTOM

I have to get my sister go come through. This is getting very interesting and probably the answer for me.

Just to open up another can of worms, here is what I am up against. Yesterday two couples went off-road 4-wheeling and I bought a large bottle of water and kept it with me sipping it when we stopped. It was SCARY and although the machines are made for driving on an incline, going through ditches, etc. this 55 year old was scared sh#@tless. The guys popped a beer open whenever we stopped and the other lady went through about six coolers to 'stay calm'. Afterwards, we were preparing dinner and I had two dark beers. Another couple showed up. The six of us are close friends and do the off-roading together. The guy had just started drinking again that day after about 3 months of proudly abstaining. Everyone involved was drunk except moi. We discussed his return to drinking and what these people who are my best friends decided was that unless you drink, you can't hang out with the group. This was their opinions about their drinking (not saying I couldn't hang out, but saying they wouldn't be comfortable hanging out with the gang if they didn't drink). Hubby even went so far as to tell me I SHOULD drink when we take the 4-wheeler out so I won't be so scared. At first, I felt a little dejected almost saying to myself that, of course, I will have to continue drinking. The more I think about it and after a good night's sleep, I realize that this is quite the juvenile situation. I don't even enjoy the off-road experience. I feel that by not drinking I will alienate these 'friends' but at this point, I, not only don't care, but clearly don't want to be smashed with them any more. I was hoping that the non-drinker wouldn't cave in so I would have a partner in my abstinence.

My whole social circle has to change and this comes at a bad time. I am marrying within a week and hubby's big fear is that after marriage, I will change. He's in for a surprise because not only do I plan on changing, I am going to do it proudly, happily and with my head held high. As I've learned from experience (there are some advantages to being 55) time changes and heals so when i finally put the brakes on permanently we will gradually evolve into a couple going in a slightly different direction or not but I, definitely am not going to let the immature opinion of 5 heavy drinkers continue to influence my sobriety. Their words have solidified my decision. Hurry up antabuse.
              Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

? Lao-Tzu

Comment

ROCK BOTTOM

I think it's marvelous that you are rethinking your drinking habits Miss Tipps but holy cow after what I just read, is marrying really a good idea at the moment? Frankly, their drinking and mudding behaviour sounds quite irresponsible and dangerous. I'm not really judging them just the activity and the fact that hubs to be has made clear in no uncertain terms that there will be problems if you change and don't drink. It's really none of my business but you've put it out here and perhaps you need to read this out loud to recognize this scenario does not look promising.
                Psalms 119:45

?Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.?

St. Francis of Assisi

I'm not perfect, never will be, but better than I was and not as good as I'm going to be.

:rays:

Comment

ROCK BOTTOM

Thanks, RC, 4-wheeling is a new 'sport' for us. We sold our Harley and have started this new and hopefully last activity that involves motors. Hubs is 63 years old and getting a bit long in the tooth for this type of stuff.

I plan on sitting hubs down this week and telling him that, although I don't plan on changing because of marriage i plan on changing despite getting married. I will say no to drinking and motorized sports. I will re-establish some old friendships that I've let fall by the wayside and my ultimate plan is to stop drinking alcohol. I have to be upfront with him and say it like it is. I had a good chat with my oldest son and he said I've given up too much of myself to be in this relationship. I agree but want to take my life back in small steps; not all at once. Feeling a little frightened right now as it's hard for me to stand up for myself but the time has come.
                  Tipplerette

? Lao-Tzu

Comment

ROCK BOTTOM

:l to you. Facing the truth and verbalizing it is not easy for most of us Tipps. Maybe it will help to review this before you speak with hubby to be. Hey, maybe you could even go over it together. 30 Things to Stop Doing to Yourself - StumbleUpon

?Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.?

St. Francis of Assisi

I'm not perfect, never will be, but better than I was and not as good as I'm going to be.

Comment

ROCK BOTTOM

Boy that list was made for me. Thanks.
                      Tipplerette

? Lao-Tzu

Comment

ROCK BOTTOM

Me too sugar, me too.

St. Francis of Assisi

Comment

ROCK BOTTOM

Hi, everyone, it's Juja slinking back in.:upset:

How, or where, would you recommend I get antabuse? I'm thinking that perhaps AB would be my next step, since I'm not being successful otherwise.

Thanks for any help.:l
                          "Remember, you are responsible for creating your life by every thought, action, choice. Choose well." Oprah Winfrey

Comment

ROCK BOTTOM

I think River Pharmacy is where the Americans get it. Correct me if I'm wrong guys. Tough road on your own, eh Juja!!
                            Tipplerette

? Lao-Tzu

Comment

ROCK BOTTOM

Hey Juja - welcome - this is a good group.
                              there is a good lot of info posted on this thread - https://www.mywayout.org/community/f2...one-54587.html - I had asked questions about the places i found to get antabuse, and i have put the prices I found too. I have not taken the plunge to buy yet, but getting closer!

Comment

ROCK BOTTOM

here you go...

?all day chemist - 10 tablets of 250mg for $1 and $25 shipping
                                ?4 nrx.com - 100 tablets of 200mg for $44 and about $30 shipping
                                ?River pharmacy - 60 tabs of 250 mg for $73.44 (inc shipping i think)

Comment

Working...
                                X