Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice

Hi Inchy,
    You said that you don't want to get meds because then your family would know you have a problem. Do they think that drinking 10 units a night is NOT a problem? Don't they already know? I would never be able to moderate or cut down on my own. For me it was all or nothing. I know you've been having this struggle for quite a while and it doesn't seem like moderating is working for you either. You've quit for a few days before, so you know what to expect. Can you give it a try again? We're pulling for you.
    K9
    :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Need advice

hey guys, day one today, about 2 hours before I would usually be getting started, about one hour til I start wishing i had a beer handy haha. So I'm going to do thsi cold turkey, starting today, hopefully make it through til at least the weekend, maybe longer, put some days together where I can. Of course everybody who says my fmaiyl are probably already aware is right, but like I want to admit that to myself haha

thanks for the advice and support guys
      xIC
      I have faced it, a life wasted, and I am never going back there again

To ya'll my name is inchy. I am an alcoholic - and priority number one is making it to the end of this day AF. No excuses.

Comment

Need advice

InChains;1279190 wrote: hey guys, day one today, about 2 hours before I would usually be getting started, about one hour til I start wishing i had a beer handy haha. So I'm going to do thsi cold turkey, starting today, hopefully make it through til at least the weekend, maybe longer, put some days together where I can. Of course everybody who says my fmaiyl are probably already aware is right, but like I want to admit that to myself haha

xIC
        Making it through today is the most important, the weekend doesn't even figure.
        I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

Need advice

Ukblonde;1279272 wrote: Making it through today is the most important, the weekend doesn't even figure.
          This is spot on in the beginning. Just get through today and worry about nothing else. Your focus should only be on "I will stay sober today no matter what!". Tomorrow, this weekend, next week, doesn't matter. Stay in the present time, "I will be sober NOW!!", If you want to tack on, "and I will enjoy my sober time!" it doesn't hurt.

If you can control your "now time" everything else will fall into place.

Great job, and good luck!

Comment

Need advice

InChains;1279190 wrote: hey guys, day one today, about 2 hours before I would usually be getting started, about one hour til I start wishing i had a beer handy haha. So I'm going to do thsi cold turkey, starting today, hopefully make it through til at least the weekend, maybe longer, put some days together where I can. Of course everybody who says my fmaiyl are probably already aware is right, but like I want to admit that to myself haha

xIC
            I'm really proud of you Inchy for taking on this really difficult thing. I'm sure today is not easy, but I know you can do it. That's the beautiful thing about My Way Out - you can always grab the hand of others who have been through what you are going through. Hang in there!

DG
            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
            Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Need advice

well, day 1 take 2 today... I'm getting really good at not getting started

To ya'll my name is inchy. I am an alcoholic - and priority number one is making it to the end of this day AF. No excuses.

Comment

Need advice

InChains;1279517 wrote: well, day 1 take 2 today... I'm getting really good at not getting started
                How about getting good at not starting drinking? That's the first step. What happened last night? Do you mind telling us? I don't mean to pry, but we can't be of much help if we don't know.

I'm thinking of you Inchy!

K9

Comment

Need advice

I'm going to do the cold turkey thing as I agree that tapering rarely works. Any advice about withdrawal issues?? Who is likely go go through withdrawal and what is the general timeline. Sorry if this has been asked and answered.

Comment

Need advice

k9: had some good news, wanted to celebrate, toher half was goign to a friends so I was goign to spend the night alone, not talking to anybody, little stressed over work, other half bought me a few beers that he owed me to help make up for going away at such short notice, so I drank 'em. seemed like a great idea until about midnight when i realised i was havign one of those drunk hell days of self loathing and feeling sick... fantastic end result

Comment

Need advice

Inchy,
                      I drank when I was happy, sad, alone, celebrating, up, down and sideways. I drank any day of the week that ended in "Y". Usually I didn't need a reason at all. The reason I quit is pretty simple: I hated who I became when I was drunk. You mentioned self-loathing, well I am all too familiar with that feeling! I had no self-esteem and certainly no self-respect...all that went down a bottle. But after some significant sober time, it is starting to come back. Now I care too much about myself to do that anymore, and I'm finding that I like who I am sober. Are you tired of the loathing and sickness? Are you ready to wake up with no regrets? Let's try for one day ok? We'll be here to help you.
                      :h
                      K9

Comment

Need advice

k9, i'll be 24 hours without a drink at midnight tonight, thank you for tlaking to me even when I've mssed up so often

Comment

Need advice

xIC -
                          I'll never stop talking to you as long as you keep coming back...and even if you do, I'll keep looking for you! We've ALL messed up. How are you doing tonight, as you approach 24 hours?

Comment

Working...
                          X