Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm just starting program ...did anyone else think they were alcholic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feared it for years..... in fact just found out it was in my family history. my kids are/were drug addicts and my own battles have been hard. Just wondering if anyone has faced the possibility along with me. I am wanting to change. I am not sure I am but I do know I want to cut back which I am with this program's help. Thank you you all
    seas

Hi, I found out both grandparents were complete alcholics - I'm right where you are.

Comment

Hi seas an EK.
      My mother was alcoholic and I think that genes play a big part in your susceptability to drink problems.
      However it doesn't mean that you can't do anything about it. If you can admit to yourself that you have a problem, then you can start to sort it out.
      The folks here are a wonderful support and can be a lot of fun. I hope that you both find what you seek.

Comment

Hi Seas and EK! Welcome to the board of all boards! You will find so much information here to help you.

I can't even think of one person in my family who doesn't have some sort of problem with alcohol. It runs through my blood line on both sides many, many generations back. So, there probably is some truth in the genetic part of it.

I would never have come this far without the support and understanding that I have found here. I am now heading into my 31st day of being AF and I was a die-hard drinker for the last 6 years excluding my pregnancy two years ago................

I am glad you both are here!!!

Comment

Hello All,
          I'm Irish, a race known for its hard drinking....My mother hardly ever touched a drop, apart from Christmas and New Year...My father worked in a brewery and he was an alcoholic who died at the age of 63 from liver cancer...I have three younger sisters and the youngest, who is now 44 is also an alcholic, although she would deny it...the other two drink like "normal " people, they do occasionally get drunk at, say, a party, but they can and do go weeks without drinking and as they said, it doesn't bother them at all...

As for me, well I was on the edge of alcoholism and if I hadn't done something about it now then somewhere in the not too distant future I knew it would have a much stronger hold on me and that was frightening..

Louise..
          A F F L..
          Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

I grew up with drinkers, seemed normal to me. Just recently realised the hook it has on me and I would not have realised this without this site.

xx s

Comment

Hi seas333 & :welcome:

If I hadn't found this site 3 months ago I really don't know where I would have been .....

The people here are soo supportive, and helpful, and they never ever judge you ......

Welcome aboard.... look forward to seeing you all around ..
              sigpicXXX

Comment

Well I have been looking at this site off and on since last summer. I was excited to see an option besides cold turkey. I stuck with it for a short time and felt great, but as usual, went back to daily drinking. Then when I tried to "hide" it I switched to vokda which got me way too drunk too fast and then the black out. I came back here three weeks ago during a crisis and did well until this week one thing after another and just let myself go.

I feel like crap, my kids are completely disappointed and don't believe a word I say about my drinking and frankly I don't blame them.

I am definately a problem drinker who needs to go AF for a very long time before determining if I can moderate. I'm going to check out some AA meetings for the support aspect, two of my brothers swear by AA but I have some different feelings about some of their concepts. But I mentioned in another thread I need some "place" to go to start changing my habits. If I could be online all day and night I would stay right here but I'll be here as often as I can.

Good luck to everyone and thanks for listening!

Comment

Stoat, I too grew up with drinkers. It was totally normal for my parents to come home and have a few drinks after work. Or even with them popping into a bar on their way home. Gosh, I remember back in the late 70's and early 80's we kids would ride in the camper while my dad belted back a few beers on our way camping. This was totally normal for me!!! And all the people my parents associated with were the exact same. All of us kids grew up with parents like this. No one ever hid it, lied about it, and nothing really seemed out of control. They did it when they wanted to........ weird. Anyway, sorry for the ramble. Your post kind of made me think back for a moment.

Comment

Seas,

I know what you mean, my family has about 60% alcoholism in it and my dad was/ is an alcoholic. He left when I was two and I only met him again when I was 18. I am now 33. It was really hard and I have seen in him now the reason my mum kicked him out.

But to know that genetics on my dad's side is a real deal........worries me, for years I never drank a thing and went through uni fine.....only drinking on weekends. It wasn't until I working in Indonesia for 5 years that I started the expat drinking of an afternoon and it has escalated from there.

I , too think I may be able to control it and was in denial for a long time....but I do not want to get to my dad's stage where he is drinking in the morning..........

Hang in there and keep posting. It is a great site.
                    Allow yourself to become all that you dreamed you could be..... and more. :banana:

Comment

Genetics or not!

Hi Sees333, EK and ThuzzyQ,
                      welcome to the boards. Stick with us and read and post. Everyone is so incredibly helpful, caring and full with good humor and advise. It is a pleasure to come here on a daily basis.

As for myself, I have been drinking (a lot) for more than 20 years and knew that I should be labelling myself as a hardcore alcoholic. Yet, the shame and stigma of that label prevented me for years to seek help. It wasn't until I found this site that I actually did something about my drinking.

I come from a family where alcohol was part of every lunch and dinner. Weekdays it was a glass of beer with food and weekends it was a glass of wine. We kids were offered a watered down version of whatever came to table. Excess and overindulgence was frowned upon. Also my grand and great grandparents never showed any sign of drinking too much. It simply was poor manners. So what the hell happened to me.

My husbands stepfather was an alcoholic, to the point that he could not hold down a steady job for too long etc. etc. Both my husband and I drank together and I had tried to convince him long ago, that we must curtail our drinking, but to no avail. So I finally decided that I must do it for myself, without any help. I live in a small community which does not permit me to go to AA meetings; it would ruin us, believe me.

None of our friends are heavy drinkers and I never drank to excess when I am out of the house, but I sure made up for it when I am home alone or with my husband.

I did about one month of AF last summer and then I had to deal with a couple of nasty surprises (the hard knocks kind) and fell of the wagon. I started again on the first of January and am 29 days AF.
                      This time I have a much better attitude and I know that I can never drink again, because I just don't know when to quit. Basta!!!

I don't have an excuse based on a couple of scewed up genes. No, I did it all myself and it will have to be me, myself and I who has to fix me. Alcohol in any shape or form is my mortal enemy and my daily motto is:
                      "Failure to stop drinking is not an option, it's not an option, it's not an option."
                      I hope this personal history may help you in making the decision that is right for you. You can do this.
                      Wishing you strenght to love yourself more than the drink,
                      Love Lori.
                      *Definition of Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result* Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                      X