boring St. Patty's day Party

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

went to a st. patricks day party tonight. didn't want to go cause i still haven't felt good since my stomach bug but knew my daughters would have fun because their friends would be there. BOY, BEING SOBER AND SITTING AROUND WITH DRINKING PEOPLE IS SO BORING! i think it was also because i did not know a lot of people and usually i would drink and loosen up and mingle. i was so ready to go home and put on my pj's...but i did not have any urge to drink so that was good. all i could think was damn these people are going to feel like shit tomorrow. i did worry if any one thought strange of me since i was the ONLY grown up there not drinking. i know that is just my insecurity and they probably did not even notice but it still crossed my mind quite a bit. my friend that was there that knew about my DWI and 6 weeks of soberity kept asking if i was ok. she has always known me as the party girl and i guess she could feel my uncomfortablness and mellow mood. well enough rambling. i hope you all had a safe and sober weekend
    I must suppress the beast within so I can find my way out of the darkness.
    sober since 2/4/12

I couldn't agree with you more Starfairy. I now experience social gatherings where the main event is drinking to be extremely boring. I swear all of those people drink so they can tolerate one another. I can't believe how many hours I wasted doing that. Oh well, it's in the past. There are so many more fun and interesting people and things to do now. Oh yes, what really amazes me is how people start to act/sound pretty ridiculous after 2 drinks. I can't imagine what an idiot I must have looked like because 2 drinks was barely a warm up for me.

I avoided drinking events when I was new in my sobriety because I did not want to be tempted. Now, I don't have any desire to go.

Oh yeah, I find that most people don't care that you are not drinking. If they do they (1) really care about you and know what you are/were going through or (2) are concerned with their own alcohhol consumption and your not drinking makes them uncomfortable.

M3
    AF Since April 20, 2008
    4 Years!!!
    :lilheart:

Comment

Hi Starfairy,

I'm lucky I didn't have to go through that. Our neighbors had a loud party and I didn't go b/c I wasn't feeling well (truth) but I heard people loudly talking until all hours and thought to myself how ridiculous Alcohol is!

Have a fantastic AF Sunday.

Comment

Starfairy- boy do I get what you are saying! Last year during my long af stint I attended a wedding reception sober. I couldn't wait to leave. There were a few people making complete fools of themselves and I was just glad I wasn't one of them.

Momof3- I agree totally that most people don't care whether you drink of not. Yes, those that do adopt the "misery loves company" school of thought.
        AF since 2/22/2012

Comment

It may have been a boring party but I bet you woke up proud and knowing that while the others were sicker than a dog, you could go do stuff without having to deal with the hangover.
          I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Hey Star

I know what you mean. It's part of learning to live sober I think. To me everything was a drinking opportunity. I guess the bottom line is that like me a lot of drunks are probably really people who prefer not to be in groups.

Comment

Starfairy, good for you staying sober!

I could have written the post that Momof3 made. Word for word.

This will all get much better and easier.

DG
              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
              Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Great job staying sober! It ain't easy, especially during the biggest drinking festival!

I was out at a bar, non AL beer for me though, and it was crazy! People were loud, obnoxious, arguing, puking, and fighting. I could not believe, that is exactly how I used to act. It was ludicrous! I can't believe I used to drink like that! Watching those rowdys brought back memories that made me sick to my stomach. That was me just a few short months ago.

I enjoyed my first sober St. Paddys day in 15+ years and I have never felt better. As my sober days increase, I deal with the thought of never drinking again much easier. Seeing those crazy drunks reinforced my reasoning to live a sober life.

Sainte mhath!

Boh
                http://www.aahistory.com/days.html

Round 1 - AF/NF Sept 29, 2011-June 23, 2012

Round 2 - AF/NF October 6, 2012-December 2012

Round 3 - AF/NF January 5, 2014 - ????

Third times a charm!

Comment

This was my 2nd St. Paddies day in a row sober. Last year I went to an all day event, and even enjoyed myself around the rowdies, but this year I just relaxed with the family at the house and had a great cornbeef and cabbage meal and watched a movie, then woke up worked out and had some cornbeef hash for breakfast, and had cornbeef ruebens for lunch! I think I'm cornbeefed out!!

As far as the drinking get togethers, I find that yes, drunk people who I don't like annoy the hell out of me, but I don't mind and even look forward to hanging out with my drinking friends. Everyone now knows that I don't drink, and when I do go out which is pretty seldom they treat me the same and I enjoy the company....but I'm not going there to drink, I'm going to enjoy their company......before I quit drinking the only reason I went anywhere was to get loaded. I find going out and spending time with people kind of refreshing now, because I'm picky. I was never picky before, if there was booze I was going, and if there was free booze I would be the first person there and the last person to leave....always drunk and normally embarrassed and depressed the next day!

Comment

momof3;1282261 wrote: Oh yeah, I find that most people don't care that you are not drinking. If they do they (1) really care about you and know what you are/were going through or (2) are concerned with their own alcohhol consumption and your not drinking makes them uncomfortable.
                    YEs to #2.. thats exactly what i was thinking.. and i will just add that people are secretly wishing they could be like you and NOT have a drink.
                    caper
                    AF since Sept 2013...
                    :alf:

Comment

I forgot it was St. Patrick's day.:H I did see some folks in green at the flea market Sat. while we were working, and it crossed my mind, but after we went home, it was just a typical Sat. night, sans alcohol.

Glad everyone had a great weekend!:h

"I like people too much or not at all."
                      Sylvia Plath

Comment

Onward to 30 Days LibraryGirl :h
                        AF Since April 20, 2008
                        4 Years!!!
                        :lilheart:

Comment

Working...
                        X