Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travel AF Free

Strength in numbers for sober travelers - CNN.com

Hope it's appropriate to post this link, but I thought it was an interesting story that meets a challenge I'm sure many aspiring or committed AF folks face sooner or later.....
    Tell me, what is it you plan to do
    with your one wild and precious life? - Mary Oliver

Travel AF Free

Sober vacations thats a great idea i hope it catches on here. Holidays can be triggers with a lot of drinking around you. Being on a vacation with a group of sober people is so much better and supportive as well as a better vacation with memorie losses or blackouts.

Comment

Travel AF Free

Thanks for posting this article. I like the idea of 'sober holidays'; it must be nice and relaxing (especially for those in early recovery) not to be surrounded by people drinking.

I was a bit wary about going on holiday when I first gave up drinking, as I thought I would stand out. I've been pleasantly surprised; no-one seems to mind that I'm not drinking, even in places with a 'drinking culture'. I was on holiday in the Greek Islands last year; some of the restaurants have started bringing a small bowl of fruit to have at the end of the meal, rather than the traditional glass of brandy or whatever (if they realise you're not drinking alcohol).

It would be great if there were more places where non-drinkers were in the majority; perhaps the old 'temperance halls' will make a return one day (I think there might still be one up in Lancashire).

MF

Comment

Travel AF Free

CM, I think Doggygirl actually took one of these. Maybe she'll see the post and chime in. I'm in the process of checking them out and would like to take one some day soon.

Comment

Working...
        X