Tips on remaining af

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips on remaining af

Quitting drinking can be difficult and I thought that I would post a list of what you all can find useful (I know there is a similar thread out there somewhere, but I know its been a while ago so figured I would do this)

1. Make a pro/con list of drinking and staying sober.
    2. List the reason(s) that you quit or want to quit and have them with you when you crave.
    3. Have a plan in place for when you crave (take a walk, suck on candy etc.)
    4. Post here before drinking. In quit net they have the 3 post rule when people want a smoke and feel that they are going to crave, and it can work in quitting drinking.
    5. For the first month, don't even think about moderating, after the first 30 days if you feel that you can moderate then set up a plan to do so, however most people here choose or can't moderate. If you have doubts in moderation then don't even go there. Only go there if you are sure that you can do it and with no doubts.
    6. Have a plan to remain sober for now and for the future, but only consecrate on one day at a time ODAAT.
    7. Most members can't do it on the first go (they try mod., they aren't ready, their plan may not be set etc) but there are those that can quit on the first go, so don't automatically think that a newbie will fail the first time. And if you are on try 1 there is nothing in stone saying that this will not work.
    8. If you fall off the wagon, jump right back on. The longer you wait, the tougher the jump will be. Don't worry if you fail over and over, just make a new plan and keep changing it till you find one that works.
    9. Support others. Helping others out can in turn help you out plus your support group will grow.
    10. When your months/years sober don't forget how you got this far and remind yourself to keep at it, know that you can always come here for the good and hard times.

If you guys can add to the list, feel free to.
    I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Tips on remaining af

Cutting and pasting this one for sure. This will be read every morning, Thanks Drifty Al.
    Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
    ? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Tips on remaining af

I love your list Drifty! You sure hit on the high points for me!

DG
      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Tips on remaining af

Great post DA!

I remember when I started someone told me that for you to have a drink you had to make many decisions in the process. The more decisions you have to make the more likely you will not have a drink.

Although I am no longer worried about being around alcohol, because I just don't want it now, when I started the first thing I did was get rid of any that I had in the house or that I had easy access to.

Once all the booze was basically out of reach then I realized that I had to make at least 11 conscious decisions to follow through on breaking my promise to not drink today.
        1. Get in the car.
        2. Drive to the store.
        3. Enter the store.
        4. Go to the beer/liquor aisle.
        5. Choose a drink.
        6. Pay for it.
        7. Get in the car.
        8. Open the bag.
        9. Open the bottle.
        10. Pour it in my mouth.
        11. Swallow.

Those are at least 11 choices where at anytime you can stop yourself and say, "no, not today!"

There were times in my early sobriety where I was in the car in the store parking lot, and turned around and said not today. It was a small battle won, but I was able to build on those battles realizing that I really do control my own actions. If I really don't want to drink I don't have to give in now. Maybe I will give in some other time, but I won't do it now! If you will always live in the "now" you can win the battle. Your past does not equal now or your future.

Comment

Tips on remaining af

Now that we've stopped making our own wine, Supercrew's list will apply to me also. I never go to the store from home. I either shop on the way home or make do with what I have. Don't like the steep gravel driveway with the river sloping on one side and don't like the winding roads that lead to the store so I've become very efficient at making do. Hope that doesn't mean I'll be having listerine cocktails. Just kidding. Great thread. Loving it.
          Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
          ? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Tips on remaining af

Awesome list. Thanks so much for sharing!

Comment

Tips on remaining af

All I can add, and it helped me the most......Surf the urge.

Whatever it takes, get AL off of your mind......tell yourself when an urge hits...I dont drink.....and then think of something else.

Pretty soon, your AL brain will not be as strong as it is right now....at the moment, mines a little shriveled up, shell of a thingy ma jigger...poor guy!
              Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Tips on remaining af

Great responses everyone!
                I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Tips on remaining af

great list

Comment

Tips on remaining af

Deadly list Drifty, thanks so much for sharing x
                    "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
                    NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Tips on remaining af

Thank you for taking the time to list those, Drifty. Great to refer to!
                      AF since 2/22/2012

Comment

Working...
                      X