Hand Sanatizer Abuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hand Sanatizer Abuse

Anybody see this story? Amazes me the lengths that we can go to catch a buzz (and kill our brain cells)....... BTW, anybody figure out that I am a news junkie yet? :banana:

BOSTON, Massachusetts (Reuters) -- At least two people have become intoxicated by drinking hand-sanitizing gels, a potentially deadly habit, doctors reported Wednesday. A prison inmate and a hospitalitzed alcoholic both were treated for poisoning from the gels, which contain alcohol -- but not the same kind as found in beverages.

Evidently people misunderstand the labels that show the gels, foams and liquids contain alcohol, the doctors said in separate letters to the New England Journal of Medicine. Cases of people drinking the hand gels because of their alcohol content have not previously been reported in major medical journals.

"The Maryland Poison Center was called about a 49-year-old, usually calm prison inmate who was described as being 'red-eyed,' 'loony,' 'combative,' and 'intoxicated, lecturing everyone about life'," Dr. Suzanne Doyon of the Maryland Poison Center and Dr. Christopher Welsh of the University of Maryland School of Medicine wrote in one letter.

"Other inmates and staff reported seeing this prisoner drinking from a gallon container of Purell hand sanitizer over the course of the evening. "

In the second case, a 43-year-old man with alcoholism was treated for mysterious chest pains and other symptoms.

"Before those results were obtained, the patient was seen in the bathroom drinking the alcohol-based hand wash from its dispenser," Dr. Ashkan Emadi and Dr. LeAnn Coberly of the University of Cincinnati wrote. When asked why he ingested the hand cleaner, he pointed to the label, which read, 'Active ingredient 63 percent v/v isopropyl alcohol.' He explained that this percentage is higher than that in vodka," they added.
    Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Hand Sanatizer Abuse

Good grief, that is desperation........
    I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Hand Sanatizer Abuse

One word: wow.
      Over 4 months AF :h

Comment

Hand Sanatizer Abuse

Yes I remember that a former Presidential candidate's wife drank rubbing alcohol I think- Kitty Dukasis- she went to Betty Ford after that!
        Sunny days, sweeping the, clouds away. On my way, to where the air is sweeeet!!! Can you tell me how to get, how to get to......LOL

Comment

Hand Sanatizer Abuse

AAthlete;

That is so scary! I use hand sanitizer in my line of work all the time....I can't imagine ever drinking it...

Thanks for the update.

Brandy

Comment

Hand Sanatizer Abuse

OMG-how eerie!

I was sitting in class today & staring at the bottle of Purell on my desk....a huge case of the sneezies going on. Anyway, I glanced at the contents out of curiosity (ok-boredom) & saw that it said :
            Active Ingrediant: Ethyl Alcohol 65%

And yup...first thought~Kitty Dukakis when she got hospitalized for drinking rubbing alcohol. I thought "some poor soul will eventually hit rock bottom & drink this stuff. So sad because I remember a girl in outpatient that drank vanilla extract & that had something like 35% alcohol so I can see how the sanitizer can be more enticing (but deadly). Desperation is desperation-that's what this disease eventually does make you become. Sell your soul for one more buzz.
            :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

Hand Sanatizer Abuse

my boss was in the Navy during WWII and lemme tel ya, some of those boys were mighty desparate! they used to drink "torpedo juice" because back then the motor for the torpedos were alocohol powered. they also drank cologne (which made them go totally bonkers and black out). yucko!
              nosce te ipsum
              (Know Thyself)

Comment

Hand Sanatizer Abuse

My Mom used to add vanilla extract to our cocoa for flavor! Little did she know she was weening us on alcohol!:goodjob: MOM!

I've drank it quite a few times since... after geting out of re-hab,(see how much good that did me!) I used to buy the larger size bottles of vannilla at the store to add to coffee. It was safe, in case anyone from AA saw me buying it... (small town here)

But it's not the same alcohol as rubbing alcohol!:eeew:
                The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

Working...
                X