Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much does exercise play a part in recovery

Hiya

Just wondering how much of a part regular exercise plays in the recovery of an alcoholic....I do know the benefits of regular cardio/ weights etc but I would be interested to hear if it is a major player in the early days and maintainence of being AF...

I have not been doing any form of exercise for ages .. I don't have a weight problem but of course I know its important for overall health.. I'm thinking that my lack of activity is somehow hindering my goal of sobriety??

Any ideas welcomed

Thanks
    Patrice

Huge! Not only in brain chemisty by all kinds of chemicals released, but in making you more mindful of how you treat your body. IMHO anyway.
    sigpic
    Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Hi Patrice. There are some significant physiological effects of exercise that are very helpful in recovery. A quick google turned up this article. Exercise and Endorphins Endorphins are our natural "feel good" chemicals. Much better to look for our "natural high" than whatever high is available from a bottle.

So it's not about weight loss (although for me I like that part too! )

DG
      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

For me it's extremely important. I normally run about 50 miles a week, that's time not thinking about drinking that's for sure.
        2023 - focus, getting it done, and living the way it should be and being the person I need to be.

Comment

Three main things helped me get sober and stay sober. One of them is exercise. It doesn't have to be "punishment", think of something you enjoy doing.
          sigpic
          AF since December 22nd 2008
          Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

a HUGE part! It's made all the difference for me this time around. REALLY.

Ok everyone...get MOVING!
            Whatever you invest in the circle of LIFE is what comes back to you. Multiplied. What you give to people is what they eventually give back to you. Don't do the math. Just increase your LOVE.

BE HAPPY...BE CONNECTED...BE HEALTHY!
            :h

Comment

Patrice I think you are corrrect

my lack of activity is somehow hindering my goal of sobriety??

The main tool for me has always been excercise, can I recommend you check out a book called 'Spark' how excercise will improve the performance of your brain by Dr John Ratey and Eric Hagerman. Excercise (walking, hill walking, power walking) was one of the pivoltal tools for me and rises above all else ie. healthy eating, meditation, etc. We were born to move and a sedentary life leads to sedentary thinking, in my opinion, 20 minutes walking every day is easy to do and a good start.

I wish you well,

Dewdrop :h
              Enjoy today - there will be no other one quite like it....

Comment

Hey!

100% importance!!! Without exercise I'd still be a drunk! Guaranteed... Can't put it any simpler than that.

I exercise for 1-2 hours, 5-7 days a week. It releases natural endorphins, which makes you feel good naturally, and you get addicted to that good feeling. When you get into the swing of things you will crave exercise, it won't be a chore like the first few times.

boh
                http://www.aahistory.com/days.html

Round 1 - AF/NF Sept 29, 2011-June 23, 2012

Round 2 - AF/NF October 6, 2012-December 2012

Round 3 - AF/NF January 5, 2014 - ????

Third times a charm!

Comment

Thanks so much for all your replies... Yes I think my lack of activity is the missing link
                  I have been trying to stop drinking with supplememts and good food and generally have a lot of AF days then I stop and start and stop again

I haven't been exercising because I live in the tropics and it is seriously too hot to walk or run anywhere except at 5am.

I am going to make a plan to go swimming and some gym work and see if that helps ( I know it will)

Thanks
                  Take care
                  Patrice

Comment

Yep makes a huge difference to me too Patrice. May I suggest you try and find something you enjoy such as a long walk in the woods or beach (even if it is at 5 am ) or swimming in a nice pool. Try not to not to overdo it at first in the way us alkies are prone to do but build up slowly and you will soon find yourself wondering why didnt I do this years ago. Thats my experience anyway.
                    Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Thanks KTAB.. mmm think this whole mission means I will have to give up the fags as well.. if I want to be able to breathe that is.

The beach could work, the jungle not so much .. Rabies alert!!! Well hey alcoholism, rabies frothing at the mouth = same same. sorry if I offend anyone who actually has had rabies from monkeys or dogs.. but I'm sure many other alkies can relate to that mouth thing

Best I get my ipod batteried up and start moving

Comment

Exercise was and still is everything to me in terms of remaining AF. During my first year of sobriety, I set a goal of running a marathon and did it. I crossed the line in tears because that goal saved my life. I do something every day to move my body..yoga, running, walking, weights, hiking, you name it.
                        AF Since April 20, 2008
                        4 Years!!!
                        :lilheart:

Comment

Huge, huge, huge, huge. I get very "cooped up" inside my body without it.
                          "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
                          AF 11/12/11

Comment

Working...
                          X