April AF Attitudes and Aspirations - Let's Be Good To Ourselves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is some pearls of wisdom for those who need it.

1. When gearing up for an AF month plan for it. Know what your tools are and use them to remain sober.
    2. Don't focus on the entire month all at once, focus on one day at a time. It will make things easier on you if you just focus on being sober today and focus on tomorrow tomorrow.
    3. If you feel that your going to drink, post here instead.
    4. God forbid if you drink, jump right back on the wagon, the longer you wait to jump back on, the harder it will be.
    5. Don't be afraid to tell people that you quit drinking, you don't have to go into the full story, but just tell them that you don't drink anymore.
    6. If someone offers you AL tell them no ty (say you don't drink, your on meds) and if they keep pushing you, say no and go away from them, chances are they have a problem with you not drinking because they themselves have a drinking problem and if they see you drinking, they won't feel as bad so don't fall into the trap.
    7. Some people like me can go out and not drink, but if that is too tempting for you, then don't go out. You can always do other stuff (movies, and other activities that does not have AL).

If I can think up of any more, I will share them with you all.
    I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Drifty - thanks for your pearls of wisdom. Really good ideas.
      "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
      AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Happy April, you Tudes 'n Spirations :hallo:

Definitely an AF April planned over here... I'm 10 days away from 6 months AF and plan on staying on track

Mama, I put up my 'real' picture a long time ago... I figured I was more accountable if I wasn't 'hiding' behind an anonymous avatar. I totally dig your glasses, btw!

Sunny-D... it's really only my head that wants wine, too. Which is weird because if I get a whiff of some I'm actually somewhat repulsed. That's a good thing! :H
        Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Thanks for those words of wisdom, Drifty!!
          I'm on board. Have 4 1/2 months, and not looking back!
          TDN
          "One day at a time."

Comment

Good Morning April Affers,

Hope all is well and that we're on our way to a good month. I had kind of a rough night last night, not sure why.......just couldn't get to sleep. I may have gotten myself revved up by reading the book Guts by Kristen Johnson. Wow, what a story about addiction. It's not a self-help book, but a fascinating read. I couldn't put it down......really inspiring. When I read a book like that I think, if she can do it, so can I! I wouldn't have recognized her name, but she's a Broadway play actress mostly. I think she became famous after starring in Third Rock fromt he Sun with John Lithgow (TV series a while ago). And, more recently I think she stared in Exes (which I have on order through Netflix). She's an interesting character....absolutely loved the book.

Not too much new in my world.......still working on projects at home, and trying out AA. I went to a meeting Saturday and am meeting with someone who has offered to sponsor me. It's so out of my comfort zone, but I really want to stay involved in things that will help me not relapse. I'm still getting a feel for everything and will continue to post about my experience (mostly on the AA thread under Monthly Abstinence).

Take care everyone.....no matter what I go through these days, I'm always glad at the end of the day (and especially beginning of the day) that I did not drink. I keep holding onto the realization that I DO NOT want to have to start over.......EVER! And, being sober is continuing to get better and feel more natural. I can really forsee a time when I don't think too much about alcohol and it seems like a distant past life....

xx,
            UN :lilheart:

Comment

Hi All!

Ok, I'm slooow this morning, was looking all over for the March thread before I realized we are now into April...doh!

Mama, are you still taking Antabuse? And I agree, you are looking very chic in your glasses!

Not much new to report here. Boring weeking, just the way I like it. Read 2 books and took several naps, lol.

I'm looking forward to another AF month!

K9
              :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Good Morning all, starting my 4'th month AF, March was a rough one had my truck broke into stole all my photography equipment, had to replace transmission, had a falling out with a major account and business sucks, but not one drink! Learning to cope with life and its struggles without AL can be challenging at times. Starting my fourth month AF and plan to stay that way. Glad to see some familiar friends on this thread, and wish you all the best this month.

Spring is in the air lets make the best of it WW
                100 days 04-10-12, entering the danger zone, Rodger that!

6 months July 1st

Comment

Hi everyone - UW - I looked at that book at work and it is amazing what she went through. One never knows what others have in their lives! Drifty - good words of wisdom - thank you. Sunny_g - love your picture - and it is odd about our heads wanting the wine - the body def. doesn't !! Hi K9 - so pleased your weekend was boring - LOL Hi MB - everyone loves your glasses! I am doing fine now I am back and getting back into routine again - I love routine and don't like when things get out of it!

Hugs to all, Sun X
                  How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Cross post WW - good to see you here too X Good for you going through all that and not drinking !!!
                    How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

I am looking forward to an AF April! March was AF and I'll have 2 months AF on April 18th.

Comment

yes...I am back on AB.....gotta get a long stretch under my belt
                        I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                        Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Kristen Johnson was just featured in "People" magazine
                          I would love to read that book
                          it was booze and pills right?
                          I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                          Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Flyaway - welcome to the thread! Haven't seen you here before but glad you stopped by!

WW, great job not caving with all you went through in March. Special kudos cuz that was a test! Whew.........super strength megaman!!

K9 and Sunshine, I love routine too and think that helps us, really. I think looking for excitement is a bad combination for Mr. Al.........

Sunshine_gg .&TDN ........welcome also to the thread.........I always wondered if your pic was real because it looks straight out of a magazine advertising something for horses..... - great pic......very classy. Mama, I already mentioned yours.......class act girls....both of you look great and then there's our little niner girl who looks 12 and oh so lovely! WW, you are a strapping lad yourself.........what a handsome bunch we have here on MWO........very impressive. And Alison, what are you.....on the phone.......such a casual "oh they just happened to catch me while I was closing that business deal".......lol Very good pics everyone. I may have to give it a try.......I really like seeing a face - feels more real and gives me a better feel for who you guys are.

Ok, nuff of my rambling, chatty cathy b.s. for the evening......

OH, MAMA, yes Kristen Johnson was addicted to both alcohol and pills.

MY LIFE - where are you?! TDN - we're just days apart in AF time, aren't we?

Toodles and nitey nite everyone.

Comment

Hello and good night, April AF gang!

'Twas a gorgy day here in Sunniland and work hours were *ahem* slightly shortened. Gardening hours, on the other hand, saw a healthy boost today :H

It's really great to see you all positive and determined! Unwasted, I agree, a new routine can make a huge impact. I still find myself in 'old' routine thinking sometimes (especially now, with warmer weather approaching) and it takes me a moment to change the channel and go 'Duh. That was the old me, silly.' Oh, and yes, that picture is real :H That's my beautiful, paranoid, but utterly lovable Atlas there with me in October 2010.

Ok, I'm pooped and I REALLY hope the sleep fairy is gonna hit me over the head good and hard tonight Sleep tight, everyone!
                              Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Hello Aprils! I'm still alive and AF!

I've had the craziest week traveling for work but I am now at the airport and waiting for my plane and my own bed. I can't wait!!

One thing I can say for sure - if I was drinking I wouldn't have been able to keep up with everyone on this trip. We have been busy from morning until late at night trying to get a big project done and submitted and we finally delivered it today. Whew!

Hopefully I'll be back and posting on a regular basis tomorrow. I'm so happy to see this positive April thread starting with so much energy!

Mama - I agree with everyone - love the glasses!

Comment

Working...
                                X