April AF Attitudes and Aspirations - Let's Be Good To Ourselves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking about the day after helps me a lot when I crave. Glad to see it working for others as well.
    I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Hello Aprils!

I'm checking in before the end of the month from my vacation. We're currently in Puerto Rico where we stayed at a B & B in El Yunque (sp?) and leaving on a cruise later today.

It's been really nice and we did a kayaking thing last night in the dark where you could see luminescent algae in the water. It was beautiful and something I've never done before - I think my arms will be sore from paddling today!

I have been doubling up and taking Campral along with my 1/2 AB pill every few days and it seems to be working fine. I did have an AF beer yesterday afternoon but really had no cravings -- even when my "crew" (friends and husband who are on the trip with me) had rum shots. I really had NO desire and just the smell of the rum made me think of hangovers I'd be so happy not to have LOL. Hope this keeps up.

Of course I'm up early with the roosters and they will all be staggering in not looking so good at breakfast in a couple of hours!

Hope you all have a fantastic Sunday!

Comment

Mylife...you sound so happy and energetic!!! That's awesome. Take some pics to show us later of all the gorgeous places you are visiting.
        Everyone sounds great...Have a marvelous Sunday!!
        I love my family more than alcohol.:h
        Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

ML, it sounds like you're doing so well - thrilled for you girlfriend. The more times we're successful at doing things normally associated with drinking (now sober) the more we build up our strength for future "tests" I believe. Honestly, I think it's something we'll always deal with because those memories are buried deeply and they're strong. But it's doable - many people get sober, stay sober and attest to having a much better life!!

So, tonight will be my first concert ever sober. Not that I've done many of them in my old age, but still..........I feel good, though. We've set it up to where we're not meeting anyone before hand for dinner or at a bar.....strategic planning on our part. So, I think I'll do fine.

Really busy this weekend everyone, but sending you all strength......Dizzy, hang in there and just know that you'll have a sober May. Sooner or later I think we just come to the realization that alcohol doesn't make anything better. I don't know how to tell you how I'm doing it, but I just don't have taking the first drink as an option. It's totally off the table. I know I can't go back.....I've done it too many times before with the same end result and ultimately it's true insanity to keep doing it and expect anything different. I never wake up in the morning wishing I drank the night before. I'm just committing to a long period of time in the hopes that the obsession goes away and that I'll have (near) total freedom in the not-too-distant future. I hold onto the idea of how bad my hangovers were, I go to AA meetings even though I'm not religious and just try to talk to other sober people who "get it." I read, take baths, take walks, watch tv, read, read, read some more, post here, cook..........you name it - anything to take my mind off of drinking. I'm now finding there are longer periods of time where I actually forget about alcohol.

Here's the best saying I've heard - not sure where it came from:

The first drink is the easiest one not to take (I think that's it in a nutshell)....

Gotta run everyone - have a good day. :lilheart:

UN

Comment

what concert are you going to UN, if you don't mind me asking??

Comment

Thanks Unwasted, I think this May may just be my most sober yet

And not because I feel pressurised or anything, I think now that I have sorted out my depression I have figured out that I have never actually felt better than I have felt AF. I would have never thought that was possible and I thought people were making that up but there.

When I was depressed being sober was a very anxious white knuckled feeling, now I just feel joy and energy alcohol just takes away from that joy, if that makes sense. So if my brain can just catch up with this. (?) the rest of the year is going to be awsome!

Whats that saying - nothing tastes as good as thin feels? I suppose no drink tastes as good as sober feels. Or what am I saying homiez?

Comment

hiya guys, do u mind if i chat on this thread for a bit, our thread is dead, no one on line
                I love people who make me laugh. I honestly think it's the thing I like most, to laugh. It cures a multitude of ills. It's probably the most important thing in a person.
                Audrey Hepburn

Comment

DizzyBee;1306614 wrote: Yes Nora - Venlor is the generic of Effexor! That is poison for alcoholics but somehow they have yet to include a warning on the package insert. My dad is a retired church minister and used to only drink a glass of semi sweet white on a sunday. Now he will easily polish a bottle of red a night and it is only after starting Effexor. Somehow everyone thinks I'm paranoid but I'm not!

I havent read this but this looks like interesting reading: Effexor Induced Alcohol Cravings - Topix
                  WOW!!! That explains a lot. It really does. Thanks for the info.
                  "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
                  AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Hey Pink - how are you?
                    AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Hey LPC, welcome. We're kind of quiet today too.

MB, I'm going to see Steve Earle (songwriter -- my husband went to school with him....not even sure I like his music) but oh well.

Dizzy, it takes time, and you'll have your ups and downs, so beware. But it truly is worth it.

More later guys...........LPC tell us more about yourself.......Hey Nora - xpost.

:lilheart:

Comment

I think I have heard of Steve Earle....
                        HEY LPC

Comment

Hi Everyone,
                          I am writing to you on my brand new laptop! Woo!
                          It will be nice to not have to always post from my phone.
                          I slept a lot this week-end, been running a bit of a fever today. But I did get some planting done and a little weeding.

Never take the first drink. When you take one, you are never done. If you take none, you're number one! lol I just made that up.
                          Day 1 again 11/5/19
                          Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
                          Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
                          Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
                          11/27/19: messed up but back on track
                          12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Hey Nursie - Love your new line. Absolutely fits me. When you take one, you are never done.

Dizzy - you're sounding well.

UW - hope that your concert is wonderful.

ML - Sounds like a wonderful time.

Alls - thinking it all the way thru is helping me too.

Drifty - you are almost to a year! Way to go.

Well - had another sober weekend. It was nice. Spent time with hubby. Relaxed today.
                            AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Hello Aprillees!

We're almost at the end! And you know what that means! Yep, sit my butt down to do my taxes at the very last minute! :H

Had an awesome AF weekend with a herd of horse people. The thought of AL really never even materialized. Iced Tea all the way, baby!

Un.. I really appreciate Steve Earle as a song writer but I'm not totally in love with his voice. Bet you'll have a great time, though!

Ok.. must. get. back. to. taxes.
                              Uggh.
                              Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

better you than me Sunni
                                home from family dinner
                                Un- hope the concert was fun
                                My beloved Sunshinedaisies got a new puppy today!!

Comment

Working...
                                X