Clear All

April AF Attitudes and Aspirations - Let's Be Good To Ourselves

atta girl hopeful...glasd we can help!!
    I love my family more than alcohol.:h
    Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Hi Guys,

Yes I am back on the AB and am planning to try yet again... I think what I'm really discouraged about is that my committment wasn't there. Obviously my husband couldn't force me to drink - I had to make that choice. And I have to admit I felt left out and wished I could join eveyone in toasts and the camraderie of sitting out on a Saturday afternoon and having drinks. (Followed by Sunday Brunch and drinks).

And although I know logically I'm an addict and I can't do this because it will lead to more and more drinking until I'm right back in the cycle of 3 am panic attacks....I just felt wistful that I couldn't join in with the group in a normal social setting and I wonder if I'll always feel that way. I just have a general feeling of depression over the whole situation which I'm sure will lift as I rack up the AF days again.

Anyway, for now I will focus on one day at a time. (Or in the case of AB one week at a time LOL)

Thanks for your words of wisdom as usual!

Comment

Hey all. I'm still here too.

Mylife - I understand completely where you are coming from. I am at a point of depression/frustration. I take the antabuse and I don't drink. But, those thoughts are still in the back of my mind that one day it will be different. I'm working on trying to get past that. Currently reading Susan Powter's book. Haven't been reading for a few days cause I just want to stop thinking about it. Oh well - like you say - one week at a time with AB. :H

Sunni - SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!! Great job! I know how hard you worked for this. :l

Hi everyone else. Going to chill for a bit. Might be on later. :h
        "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
        AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Hey everyone - a quick run by for me today.........I think I have carpal tunnel (sp?) in my right wrist, which is a huge bummer. It keeps coming back - may have to get it checked out.......but it's bad right now, so I'm not typing a lot.

5 months for me today........kind of anticlimactic since I've been celebrating for a couple of days.:H.......well, not really but you know what I mean........I've been thinking in terms of 5 months for a few days now.

Anyway, one day at a time as they say....the mental part is definitely the toughest part to overcome, but it gets more natural as time passes........I guess recovery is forever, but I think the obsessive thinking wanes.

Hope everyone has a good day.

xx,
          UN

Comment

Unwasted;1295770 wrote:
            I guess recovery is forever, but I think the obsessive thinking wanes.
            Again... Congratulations, Unwasted
            I would like to second that... to everyone here struggling with the incessant chatter in their heads... it really does subside with time. There are still the odd thoughts, and I've just recently had a bout with 'feeling off balance' but all in all... THIS is the new normal. I do not think about drinking on a daily basis anymore... and it's a HUGE relief, lemme tell ya

Mylife... stick with it, it really is SO worth it :l
            Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Sun, we'll be keeping each other honest -- you can never drink again because I'm hot on your trail to six months!:H:H Well, I hope you'll not drink again for better reasons than that........just sayin..............

Comment

How in the heck can I go to a Van Halen concert on Monday night anfd NOT drink???
                it's gonna be easy because I am digging all my 80's clothes out....spandex pants, big hair, lace gloves cut off at the fingers.....and I plan on dancing my ass off and making a SOBER fool of myself!!!
                (it's my hubs bday present!!)
                I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Mama, I'm going to my first concert ever sober this month too........I'm feeling pretty confident about it......I'll have my AB in pocket.......a couple of months ago I wouldn't have felt like giving it a try.....now I feel okay about it.

Sounds like you'll be all decked out.....fun!

Comment

Hey Mama,

I read a review a couple of days ago that said Eddie Van Halen rocked it, he's back to being on top of his game. Let us know how it goes.
                    2023 - focus, getting it done, and living the way it should be and being the person I need to be.

Comment

Hi Peeps!

Did anyone miss me? LOL

I was out for 1.5 days...sick as a dog with this stomach thing. I finally feel better...after taking some Imodium AD and resting for a full day. My stomach is still kinda queasy but the mad dashes to the bathroom have stopped!

Mama, I can totally picture you in your 80's gear! LOL You have to let us see pictures!

ML - Glad you're back. I know you feel bad, but don't dwell on it...just get back on the wagon and start over.

I've had some stinkin' drinkin' thoughts lately too...all this while my stomach is churning, now HOW does that make any sense? It doesn't, but addiction never does. I'm glad to report I've faithfully taken my AB everyday and am currently on day 109....

I'll check back in later...K9
                      :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

K9, so sorry you were under the weather.....have you isolated what's causing your somach problems? Hope you get it figured out..........and sorry about the drinking thoughts.....I have them too but not like "I'm going to drink" just random tidbits that pop up in my brain.....imagining myself having that relaxed cheery feeling. But then reality sets in and I force the thoughts away knowing I would slowly work my way up to that terrible place again.

Went to a good meeting today....men and women. I met two women and stayed after to chat with them. We're all getting together next week for lunch and another (different) meeting. What a relief to finally be meeting people who "get it" and don't drink anymore for the same reason I don't....just to be able to relate.......feels like a huge burden has been lifted. Not a miracle fix, just a little thing that's actually quite profound in the big picture if ya know what I mean.

By the way, Hopeful Mom, are you still with us? My Life? Just checking to see how things are going with you both.

Hope everyone else stopping by is doing well.

xx,
                        UN

Comment

Way to go, K9!!! (on the 109 days, not the queasy tummy)

:H I'll be forever looking over my shoulder, Unwasted! I also have the occasional thought of gardening with 'a glass of wine' (hah!) and that nice relaxed feeling. Previously, I would push the thought away, only to finally give in. Much like you, I now examine the thought in its entirety.

1. It ain't a glass, I'm gonna have. More like a pitcher.
                          2. It ain't gonna be one. It'll be a bottle or more.
                          3. Stuff will get left half done.
                          4. I'll likely pass out for a 'nap'.
                          5. I'll wake up dehydrated, anxious, and with that lovely self loathing.
                          6. I'll tippy toe around my partner to feel out whether he knows and whether I said or did anything stupid.
                          7. I'll desperately try to remember what I did with the empty bottle(s).
                          8.Oh... and where's the pitcher?
                          9. I'll check my email and FB and prepare for damage control.
                          And on and on and on and on....

By this time, I'm friggin exhausted. No thanks.

Oh.. and MamaBear.. we totally need a picture Dance your bootie off!
                          Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Sunni - thanks for that. I'm really having thoughts now. Strong stinkin' thinkin'. I like how you went thru the whole thing.
                            All your points really hit home with me. :upset:

When is this not going to be an issue anymore??? :upset:
                            "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
                            AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Our Beautiful Sunni just hit the nail on the head...the TRUTH about alcohol ain't pretty! Listing exactly what happens to you can be very helpful...but you have to be honest about it no matter how embarrassing (of course you don't have to post it here...but of course we'd love to know. LOL)
                              :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

K9 glad to see you back on the boards, I was getting a little concerned, glad your feeling better. Sunshine congratulations on your 6 months, I always enjoy the way you share your thoughts. It is so great to see the progress most are making. The temptation to drink seams to fad away more everyday, yet I'm always aware of the evil ways of alcohol. Been using my old drinking time by doing positive things, learning photoshop, go fishing once in while, working on the old house in the mountains. I sleep a lot more than I used to 7 to 8 hours a night, when drinking it was 4 or 5 hours of toss and turn. Well off to the hills for the weekend, should be nice weather.

Have a Great Weekend Everyone WW
                                100 days 04-10-12, entering the danger zone, Rodger that!

6 months July 1st

Comment

Working...
                                X