Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you ashamed to tell others that you've quit AL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to be, but now I'm proud of it. I think of myself as one of the lucky ones who escaped. I never am forceful about it.......I just casually tell people how shocked I was at how difficult it was for me to quit, and how my life is better now. They always seem intrigued and I think a lot of people secretely file things away in their heads for futue reference because many have had thoughts about alcohol being a problem or potential problem for them............

I think being embarassed or ashamed about not drinking is prima facia insane and part of why alcohol is such a blight on society. Imagine having to justify not ingesting a drug. As Jason Vale says, we wouldn't be embarassed about telling people we had kicked a cocaine or heroin habit.

Comment

I tell anyone and everyone that I quit al if the subject comes up. I just say that I have kids and can't feel crap the next day and they get me up early so no way could I be drinking then get up at 5am. They always understand. I'm yet to have any argue the fact and I've told loads of people. Using the whole, I need to get up early excuse works well!

Comment

I'm definiteyl too ashmaed to tell anybody, sometimea I try quttign without even telling my fiancee. I always figure it'd be easier if people knew but I am too ashamed to ever tell
        I have faced it, a life wasted, and I am never going back there again

To ya'll my name is inchy. I am an alcoholic - and priority number one is making it to the end of this day AF. No excuses.

Comment

I have a friend who has a drinking problem. One of my daughter's good friend's mom. She is very flaky and I believe it is because she is hungover so much. One day I asked her where her kids were (all three were absent on the same day) and she said "Oh, I just couldn't get it together". Right there I said "You know, being hungover with three kids is no picnic is it? From there she aksed me a million questions about why I stopped drinking and I was very honest with her. For a few days she stopped and texted me about how good she was feeling. Texts stopped and facebook posts got goofier...oh well. She can only stop when she wants to stop! Busy concentrating on myself sober!!
          February 27th, 2013. A New , Successful Start. :h

When everything seems like an uphill struggle, just think of the view from the top!!

Comment

i tell everyone and anyone.. i hid my drinking, i am not hiding my sobriety... and i don't care what people think.. thats it thats all..

sober and proud of it
            caper
            caper
            AF since Sept 2013...
            :alf:

Comment

I myself wasn't ashamed to tell others. I explained the truth and didn't feel that I didn't need to hide from it. But that is just me.
              I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

I am not ashamed to tell others I don't drink alcohol,In fact in my social circles I am quite proud to say it. I am very proud of my sobriety.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Would you be ashamed to say you quit smoking or even heroin? (people would congratulate you)
                  But when you say your not Drinking- people look at you like you are from another planet...
                  The bottom line- you know its not healthy or pretty, make no exuses(it' s your life,keep your standards high!)People will envy you!!!!!!!

Comment

It rarely comes up for me, but I just say "I don't drink anymore". It's a fact, plain and simple. I don't smoke crack either, but nobody ever asks me that. LOL

I hid my drinking so most people don't know the truth of what a struggle it was to quit.

Only my daughter knows the truth, she's proud of me, and I'm proud of me. That's all I need.
                    :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Great thread...I will be faced with this question on Easter as I am joining family for dinner and they are all heavy drinkers. This will be the first time in my sobriety that I am faced with a situation where I am the only one not drinking. And I'm OK with that (will bring my stash of AF drinks along...very important!). What I plan to say is "No thank you" when offered a glass of wine. Then I'm sure they will be suprised and ask me why not (since I was always anxious to drink before!) and I plan to say simply, no thank you. It doesn't agree with me anymore. And that my friends, is the truth! As far as going into detail of how it was ruining my life, I prefer to share that with peeps in "the know"...like you all
                      Whatever you invest in the circle of LIFE is what comes back to you. Multiplied. What you give to people is what they eventually give back to you. Don't do the math. Just increase your LOVE.

BE HAPPY...BE CONNECTED...BE HEALTHY!
                      :h

Comment

I feel the same as Blonde. I am not afraid to tell people I don't drink, but I won't go into details.

Comment

I officially told my parents last night. They knew that I had a "problem" in the past (2 DUI's, etc) and that they never see me drink...but I told them that I have quit (because they don't know what I do at home)....they told me they were proud of me for owning up to my problem and taking care of it!
                          :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

K9Lover;1291358 wrote: I officially told my parents last night. They knew that I had a "problem" in the past (2 DUI's, etc) and that they never see me drink...but I told them that I have quit (because they don't know what I do at home)....they told me they were proud of me for owning up to my problem and taking care of it!
                            Well done K9,It can be of great relief to be able to share your/our problem with alcohol with family and close friends IMo its another positive step in beating this monster once and for all.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                            I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

FlyAway;1291313 wrote: I feel the same as Blonde. I am not afraid to tell people I don't drink, but I won't go into details.
                              This. I plan on rolling out the "I'm working hard at the gym and being healthy" if anyone asks but otherwise I won't go into it.

Comment

Working...
                              X