Who else is on Antabuse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who else is on Antabuse?

Good Morning Everyone! I have tried Campral and Naltroxone and am now using AB. I have been drinking heavily for over 30 years and been al free for about 3 days during this time. Nothing seemed to work until I went to my gp and asked him for AB. Started it 2 weeks ago and have had 2 wines in that time which made me violently ill!! I think because al is just not an option,unless u want to be very sick, the cravings are less. Even if you decided to stop taking AB you would have to wait 1 to 2 weeks before you could drink, so why bother? Just wondering how others are finding this drug, for me it is the ONLY way out. I just can no longer drink. Good Luck Everyone. I am takong 250gm a day

Who else is on Antabuse?

Hey Boozer - I am on Antabuse. I do very well on it. But, I have a tendency to stop taking it after a month or so. I need to stop that 'stinkin thinkin'. I'm back on it now and am taking the pill every day instead of just a couple times a week. I am hoping that this will help me stay with it.
    "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
    AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Who else is on Antabuse?

Yep these meds DO help...you cannot aford one little temptation..I'm again back on my path and feeling good, I did soo well last time 20 mths, am now on 3 weeks 3 days.. and I have the colme drops.

It's baiscally the same as antabuse, but in drops, my daughter is in charge of them as the trick us alkies do is change the clear liquid with water and nobody suspects the difference...!

But where she has it under her control I can't manipulate it, and that's what I want, I feel so GOOD AF......

Good luck with your's..:l :l I soo wish the "normal" people could understand how hard and just how much we honestly do try and want to stop..
      it just isn't easy,

Comment

Who else is on Antabuse?

I am on it too, and it works......just have to stay on it until you feel strong enough to go without
        250 mg is a BIG dose isn't it??
        It may be mu imagination but I think it makes me a little tired and headachy the first few weeks....
        I love my family more than alcohol.:h
        Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Who else is on Antabuse?

Thanks everyone. The AB does seem to make the whole addiction thing easier. I will check Mama Bear about my dosage 250mg. It does seem high, but then I am not a small person,so will check with my gp when I see him in a few days. I don,t seem to have side effects,a bit tired occassionally but nothing major. Just worth IT to wake everyday just ready to GO!!! No hangover and guilt,depression and all the other s....t that goes with al.

Comment

Who else is on Antabuse?

Boozer - I am on 250 mg also. I think that is the standard dose. I am now cutting my pills in half and taking half daily though. Funny that I would worry about taking too much mediation when I would pour alcohol down my throat.
            AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Who else is on Antabuse?

NoraC, No it doesn,t make sense. Thats what al and the addiction does. Why would anyone want to poor poison into their stomach, feel absolutely crap and then do it again the next day?

Comment

Who else is on Antabuse?

You're right Boozer! And, thankfully, the Antabuse is keeping me from doing that right now!
                AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Who else is on Antabuse?

Hi
                  I am on it too and find it very effective however it is only effective if you take it.
                  I am supposed to take 250 mgs daily which is a big dose, but that is what the doctor wants so that I am not tempted to drink. At that dose it would be deadly to try and it would take days to wear off.
                  R4L
                  Don't worry, be happy!

Comment

Who else is on Antabuse?

R4L - You are so right when you say "it is only effective if you take it". That is absolutely true. That is where I have gone wrong in the past. I would take it a couple times a week instead of daily and that helped me 'slip'. Of course, it wasn't really a slip because I knew what I was doing. I've been taking it everyday now to try to avoid that type of 'slip'.
                    AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Who else is on Antabuse?

Yep exsactly "it only works if you take it" this is why my daughter has my drops,

1. so I have to take them
                      2. I can't cheat & swop it for water

can't someone in your family be in conttrol of your tabs and stand in front of you to make sure you take it..???

Comment

Who else is on Antabuse?

Hi Boozer,

AB has been a life saver for me. I stopped drinking before for 87 days but then when on an overseas trip and started again (after weaning myself off AB) All went quite well although I did have one or two ugly nights while away.:upset:

Since I have been back, my AL consumption steadily increased up 2 bottles a night and I was staying up until 2 - 3.00 am in the morning, watching TV. Just didnt want to go to bed! One night, I remember it ws as late as 4.30am.. Luckily I dont work any more but my days were just filled with depression, guilt and self loathing. I dont even remeber what I watched on the TV.

As it turns out, I had previously suffered a Post Traumatic Stress Incident and my Psychiatrist put me onto Topamax. At about the same time I decided to restart the AB off my own volition. I sort of knew how the stuff worked so commenced with 1/2 tablet morning and night.

In the meantime, I came across this website and learned the extra benefits of Topamax. Is it my lucky day or what? :happy:
                        Although I havent discussed my previous AL abuse with my Psychiatrist, I have let him know that the Topamax has greatly enhanced my mood and I am feeling a lot better. I am also on Citalopram, an antidepressant as well.

Now I take 1/2 AB most days but not every day because my desire to drink has greatly diminished I am delighted to say. Even though my husband drinks a lot, I am still strong enough to resist it, so far. The days/nights that we go out, expecially with our boozy friends, I make sure that I take an AB before we leave.

This is all working well for me so far and I really hope that it continues to do so. Hope others can get a little bit of an idea from my posting.

:l
                        If at first you dont succeed......

Comment

Who else is on Antabuse?

Hi Overit, I am in Oz as well. The fact that you are able to resist al when others around you are drinking, shows just how committed you are to giving up the booze for ever. You have some pretty impressive al free time. I hope I can boast as many af days in the future!!!

Comment

Who else is on Antabuse?

Hey Boozer, forgot to mention that t
                            he most helpful thing is the Topamax which defo takes away the stongest of cravings.

Good luck..
                            If at first you dont succeed......

Comment

Who else is on Antabuse?

I guess I need to read my doseage.....
                              I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                              Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Working...
                              X